ebinmaine

Vertical garden. Anyone grow one?

ebinmaine

This morning I was reading about growing cucumbers in a few various ways of making them a hanging plant. 

The article states that the fruit is larger, straighter, and the volume of count is better as well. 

Also states the plants take up less space which makes sense. 

Most or all of us already grow tomatoes vertically. 

Anyone grow any OTHER plants upward??

ranger
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

This morning I was reading about growing cucumbers in a few various ways of making them a hanging plant. 

The article states that the fruit is larger, straighter, and the volume of count is better as well. 

Also states the plants take up less space which makes sense. 

Most or all of us already grow tomatoes vertically. 

Our grass grows upwards. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Achto

I have done the upside down tomatoes, peppers & cucumbers with pretty good success.

Here is another space saving option for you Eric.

https://www.thespruce.com/building-a-hydroponic-garden-5086086

https://www.thebetterindia.com/205495/how-to-build-hydroponics-unit-pvc-pipes-cheap-veggies-soilless-farming-india/

I little more research will produce all kinds of hydroponic garden ideas.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We do cucumbers as described in the article. It works well and, as you noted, the results are straighter and cleaner--can't comment on bigger or not.

One thing the article didn't mention is that it is easier to find the cucumbers amidst the foliage without having to be bent over and watching where you put your feet!

• Like 2

Skwerl58

I have been using tomatoe cages around some of my cukes. I used the cages on some heirloom cukes last year that were great and were light colored, pale yellow and they were delicious. I use the

cages so they do grow up and dont run on the ground. Great space saver tactic. Will plant some more this year!

https://www.seedsavers.org/north-carolina-heirloom-organic-cucumber#:~:text=This flavorful variety produces small,lobed leaves and dense foliage.

• Like 4

WHNJ701

At my old house i used to plant cucumbers under the "drip" from the window a/c unit and had strings on side of the house.  I grew them by the hundreds, plus it was river soil anything would grow in it

• Like 2

oliver2-44
21 hours ago, Handy Don said:

We do cucumbers as described in the article. It works well and, as you noted, the results are straighter and cleaner--can't comment on bigger or not.

One thing the article didn't mention is that it is easier to find the cucumbers amidst the foliage without having to be bent over and watching where you put your feet!

:text-yeahthat: