Pullstart

Winter fun - Project “Freedom” 440cc 2 Stroke 1054 Snowmotractor

Pullstart

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

bds1984
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

To answer your question Lee, it’s rated to pull just under 8,000 rpms and apparently hp ratings weren’t ever published by the manufacturer but it’s speculated to be around 70-75 hp.

I had many 440 Suzuki Spirits in various Arctic Cats over the years and they're rated 41-50 so I would speculate somewhere in that range.  The real fun one was pulling the 440 out and placing a 634 Hirth twin in its place.  Torque for days.  I don't think I ever saw a 440 put out that much HP unless it was a built and tuned liquid cooled model.  Regardless, 3-4 times the power is going to be fun no matter what! 

• Like 2

kpinnc
12 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

41-50

If correct, this is pretty much the max I've heard of placing on a WH transmission...

Saw one with 50+ horses on a puller once. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
23 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

I had many 440 Suzuki Spirits in various Arctic Cats over the years and they're rated 41-50 so I would speculate somewhere in that range.  The real fun one was pulling the 440 out and placing a 634 Hirth twin in its place.  Torque for days.  I don't think I ever saw a 440 put out that much HP unless it was a built and tuned liquid cooled model.  Regardless, 3-4 times the power is going to be fun no matter what! 

That is believable.  I read the 70-75 and thought “wow, I’m surprised!” But in all reality I’m glad it’s closer to 40!:lol:  better chances it sticks together!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

I've been wondering to myself for a bit now. Thinking about that primary clutch.

Would it be beneficial to thicken the inner disc half to close up the gap on that belt? Maybe turn out a piece to match or use a piece from an old primary?

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Pullstart
23 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I've been wondering to myself for a bit now. Thinking about that primary clutch.

Would it be beneficial to thicken the inner disc half to close up the gap on that belt? Maybe turn out a piece to match or use a piece from an old primary?

Just a thought.

the belt seems to fit the pitch of the clutch quite well. I think I’ll try it all for now the way it is… and if it seems too slow I’ll chuck the plates up and take a little off the inside to in theory build a larger final drive diameter if that makes sense.

• Like 2

Oldskool
3 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

the belt seems to fit the pitch of the clutch quite well. I think I’ll try it all for now the way it is… and if it seems too slow I’ll chuck the plates up and take a little off the inside to in theory build a larger final drive diameter if that makes sense.

Yes, that makes perfect sense.

I was just thinking if the inner plate was thicker it would close the gap on the belt a bit for low rpm contact.. I wasn't sure when activated if it would act like an automotive "high stall" converter and kick in all of a sudden?

• Like 1

Snoopy11
5 hours ago, Pullstart said:

just under 8,000 rpms

My 457 pulls 7,650...

Higher ratio valve springs... pushes 9,000... but too hard on the cam.

You... don't have to worry about any of that with your 2 stroker... :banana-dance:

Don

• Like 2

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Saw one with 50+ horses on a puller once.

Are you referring to the anthropomorphic beagle? :confusion-confused:

51 hp 457 Duromax @kpinnc... :ph34r:

:wh::teasing-whipyellow:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Confused 1

Snoopy11
5 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I’m thinking if this does stay together long enough, and it gets to the shows this year, it’ll be my one and only “sorry this one’s for looking not riding” if anyone asks :lol:

Not... even me?

If anybody knows how to handle that kind of power... it'd be... yours truly... :laughing-jumpingpurple:

B)

Don

Snoopy11
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

just to be clear.  You show up at my house and the field is kind of white?  Hop on, I’ll let you show me a good time!

Looking at plane tickets now... You can bring your Freedom project to the airport and pick me up... :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 3

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Not... even me?

If anybody knows how to handle that kind of power... it'd be... yours truly... :laughing-jumpingpurple:

B)

Don

Like I said… It’ll sit at the shows.  There’s a lot of walker by’s and it might make it through for Wild Bill’s parade on some skates under the skis but that’ll be it.  Come to the house?  Open reigns bud :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

694037015_Screenshot_20220201-140123_SamsungInternet.jpg.7452099db6d69cf6193f3f3ea611372c.jpgAt first glance I thought that was bubble wrap.  :dunno:

• Haha 6

8ntruck
6 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Those :auto-ambulance: drivers will be like :popcorn::popcorn:

You going to make a call in advance and have them on site before you start your test ride?

• Haha 3

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

You going to make a call in advance and have them on site before you start your test ride?

Shhh... I am on the phone with the rehab facility to get Kevin a room...

Don

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8ntruck
2 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Yes, that makes perfect sense.

I was just thinking if the inner plate was thicker it would close the gap on the belt a bit for low rpm contact.. I wasn't sure when activated if it would act like an automotive "high stall" converter and kick in all of a sudden?

On this rig, that "kick in all of a sudden at high revs" could be quite, ummmm, exciting!

Kind of like the time I rode my friend's KZ 1000.  Grabbed a hand full of throttle, then took 3 blocks catching up to the bike so I could shut it down.

• Haha 4

Pullstart

You’re right Bill, I think if I weaken the clutch spring a bit so it might kick in sooner..

Snoopy11
9 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I rode my friend's KZ 1000.  Grabbed a hand full of throttle, then took 3 blocks catching up to the bike so I could shut it down.

When... you laugh so hard that you drop the phone in the commode... ...you have some REAL issues... :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 3

953 nut
11 hours ago, Pullstart said:

It also has an aluminum differential

953/1054 have a cast iron bevel gear differential. The early limited slip units have aluminum end plates on the differential. 

618022705_Screenshot(14).png.718965557554399f6589fbeb90fd705d.png

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Well there we have it.  I need a turbo @953 nut!  :lol:

• Haha 2

Pullstart

I found a shovel and broom!  @formariz I think we all know I’ll never get to an organized point of zen, but it still feels great to move some unneeded things out back and be able to walk around my toy!

14E5752C-47E1-430F-B25C-FC0958C55BE1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I found a shovel and broom

Before or after you used quantities of tannerite to get that mess out of the way?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

What mess?  I see organized chaos.

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

I sure do hope this isn’t a waste.  It looks like so much fun!

65C3B81B-17C1-41AB-8D2E-C4DFDD5A6569.jpeg

355F5BE8-4AB0-4CA8-9763-C39FB6A94B9A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

formariz
21 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

What mess?  I see organized chaos.

Through out my life I have seen and worked with many woodworkers. I always found their habits as far as organization and workspace cleanness interesting  and a source of influence on my own habits. I realized however early on, one very important fact from my observations. Their habits as far as organization and cleanness had absolutely nothing to do with the end result or the quality of their work. Some of the messiest ones that I know are perfectly content in tripping over stuff and kicking tools on the floor out of the way. Its second nature to them and it does not even cross their minds at all. Stuff gets done with incredible workmanship and even efficiency. Personally I am the total opposite and its always on my mind and those conditions would drive me insane. I have to occasionally stop and reorganize and clean because its also impossible to stay that way 100% of the time. Its all a matter of personal preference and its a mental thing. Although the work did not reflect their habits the draw back it did have, was the source for injury a few times, clearly caused by the site conditions.

• Excellent 2