Pullstart

Winter fun - Project “Freedom” 440cc 2 Stroke 1054 Snowmotractor

Pullstart

Using the old engine plate as a template, the 2x4 tubing is bolted to the engine.  It’s close to where it should rest for good.  The belt is NOS WheelHorse and has a little bow in it from years of being coiled up.

D6035D14-89F3-49BB-BA82-102B949737A4.jpeg

D15E758D-161E-470E-9C27-FC01320D1C2B.jpeg

62896B47-AED6-4E37-97D0-251480D463CA.jpeg

• Excellent 5

Handy Don

Will that 5L belt hold up to the torque converter?

Are you also switching the transaxle pulley to the complimentary variable driven pulley or is the idea to make it only as a centrifugal clutch?

Pullstart
33 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Will that 5L belt hold up to the torque converter?

I know only one way to find out.  Hopefully, it lasts at least across the driveway!

33 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Are you also switching the transaxle pulley to the complimentary variable driven pulley or is the idea to make it only as a centrifugal clutch?

I’m going to allow the snowmobile clutch to simply tighten onto the belt.  The idea is once it is completely clamped (as in high gear on the snowmobile) the belt will be taught and have nowhere to go but fast.  

Yes, my fingers, toes, hairs and eyes will be crossed upon that initial startup!  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
  1. I realize the demands I’ll be placing on the belt are not the design of the belt.
  2. A snowmobile has much more surface area for grip.  I’m planning on enough tire slip at first throttle to hopefully make it past that first demand.
  3. with no ground engaging action (Sorry @SylvanLakeWH, I’ll not be plowing the garden with this one!) I’m hoping there will be less overall stress and load when under way.  

4. There’s plenty that can go wrong.  Other than time and energy, I’m not $1 into this project as far as new acquisitions.  If it all gets scrapped (the ideas, not the materials), no harm no fowl.
  • Like 4

Pullstart

Engine and belt guard are bolted in.  @Snoopy11 It surely sticks out a ways on the driver’s side… but it’ll likely be worth it!

Exhaust time.

1BFEC37F-B264-446D-B39B-934AEFAEA0FC.jpeg

3C37E621-DE1E-4218-850D-E087E277836F.jpeg

548EE61A-191F-4333-89B6-6A94C984D663.jpeg

• Excellent 4

Lee1977

What is the RPM on that engine?. I put a Powerproducts Super 58 on a minibike one time direct drive. Push it off got on the back of the seat, too for back to turn it down from full throttle. Went about 36 feet spun to the right back to the left and back to the right broke the chain took a hunk out of my leg and complete clean all the nobbs of a 12 tire. That little sucker was doing some moving when the chain broke. She was headed fast toward a wove wire fence.  

We need video of how yours works out. 

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  :text-+1:  :helmet:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

Ready…

:auto-ambulance:

• Haha 3

Pullstart
7 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

What is the RPM on that engine?. I put a Powerproducts Super 58 on a minibike one time direct drive. Push it off got on the back of the seat, too for back to turn it down from full throttle. Went about 36 feet spun to the right back to the left and back to the right broke the chain took a hunk out of my leg and complete clean all the nobbs of a 12 tire. That little sucker was doing some moving when the chain broke. She was headed fast toward a wove wire fence.  

We need video of how yours works out. 

Take the fence out, add a leathered’n’ padded up little girl, daddy on the back and a little 3.5 hp Briggs on the mini bike and you’ve got Jada’s first ride on a powered two wheeler!  She rode around with me on the back and on the handlebars for a good while, then as soon as I jumped off she pulled hard throttle and went right for my “junkyard”.  She bailed about 3 feet from a lot of iron.  Come to think of it, there was a chain link fence on the edge of the yard.  No blood spilled that day, but it was a fun sprint after a little bike!

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

To answer your question Lee, it’s rated to pull just under 8,000 rpms and apparently hp ratings weren’t ever published by the manufacturer but it’s speculated to be around 70-75 hp.

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

I’m thinking if this does stay together long enough, and it gets to the shows this year, it’ll be my one and only “sorry this one’s for looking not riding” if anyone asks :lol:

• Haha 2

Pullstart
19 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Ready…

:auto-ambulance:

Those :auto-ambulance: drivers will be like :popcorn::popcorn:

• Haha 3

953 nut
17 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I think direct drive with no clutch pedal is going to work!

This might loose all brakes, potentially.

Will you be using a twist grip throttle? Perhaps a dead-man throttle where you have to apply and hold pressure to the throttle lever.  Your brakes would only work if there was a mechanical interlock that would kick the throttle down to idle. Guess they would work when you are slowing down anyway.

Pullstart
14 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Will you be using a twist grip throttle? Perhaps a dead-man throttle where you have to apply and hold pressure to the throttle lever.  Your brakes would only work if there was a mechanical interlock that would kick the throttle down to idle. Guess they would work when you are slowing down anyway.

I’m contemplating HOW MUCH of the sled I want to pull over.  If I bring the steering AND suspension, I might as well bring the handlebars too.  If I do that, I can just use the thumb throttle as intended, with the kill switch too.  If I ever wanted to get real creative, there’s a hand brake on the left.  Spin up some discs for the rear (only) wheels and plumb ‘em up.

• Like 3

953 nut
7 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Spin up some discs for the rear (only) wheels and plumb ‘em up.

:text-yeahthat:

:confusion-confused:                Don't think disc brakes on the skis would do much anyway.                :laughing-rolling:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:

:confusion-confused:                Don't think disc brakes on the skis would do much anyway.                :laughing-rolling:

Form over function :auto-swerve:

• Haha 3

Oldskool

I read back thru the build a bit.

I think I'm a bit ignorant of how the rear works in this model tractor. The term overdriven popped up a couple of times.

Is this just a single speed? FNR.?

Pullstart
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

I read back thru the build a bit.

I think I'm a bit ignorant of how the rear works in this model tractor. The term overdriven popped up a couple of times.

Is this just a single speed? FNR.?

No, it’s just a 3 speed like most others.  It has a slightly different mounting pattern than the standard 4 bolts in a square (rectangle?) because the way the hydraulics mount to the frame.  This tractor has no hydraulics and the tabs are broken off I believe, so I could easily re-dril the mounting plate to accept a different transmission.  It also has an aluminum differential and might be the weakest link if the belt survives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool
23 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

It also has an aluminum differential and might be the weakest link if the belt survives.

From what I have seen, the average lawn tractor transaxle can take quite a bit of abuse. I have faith in the WH.

I'm eager to see this in motion.

• Thanks 1

kpinnc
36 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

.  It also has an aluminum differential and might be the weakest link if the belt survives

I think having a weaker belt in the middle is smart. But it's unlikely that limited slip diff will survive long. The one on my 867 was destroyed when the diff was engaged too much. They don't tolerate much abuse, even from a little 8 horse Kohler.

• Like 1

Pullstart
23 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I think having a weaker belt in the middle is smart. But it's unlikely that limited slip diff will survive long. The one on my 867 was destroyed when the diff was engaged too much. They don't tolerate much abuse, even from a little 8 horse Kohler.

This one is not a the limited slip, it’s open.  Either way, it has been known to not last long when plowing or otherwise.

• Excellent 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

sorry this one’s for looking not riding

just to be clear.  You show up at my house and the field is kind of white?  Hop on, I’ll let you show me a good time!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Achto
On 1/27/2022 at 11:24 AM, Achto said:

Have it drivable by this time next week???:D

2 days until test drive, right???

• Haha 1

Pullstart
12 minutes ago, Achto said:

2 days until test drive, right???

absolutely!

This can be like those signs you might see on occasion…

Desperate Enterprises Free Beer Tomorrow Tin Sign - Nostalgic Vintage Metal Wall Décor - Made in USA - 12.5"W x 16"H

• Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

Don't forget your safety suit.

361264583_Screenshot_20220128-093532_SamsungInternet.jpg.8dfda7f7d6432ed4eff4e6687ebd0827.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6