formariz

Keeping your fingers

Pullstart

Such crafty and simple tools you’ve built for such a handy tool in itself!

• Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks for your photos and advice. Saws are dangerous and safety is very important . My former brother in law ripped his index finger from tip to palm by being careless. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

peter lena

@elcamino/wheelhorse my father was terrified of electrical tools , many of his friends had fingers and related removal injuries. would not drill a hole  or anything related with electrical help ,  hand auger drill , hand saws , chisels. everything by hand , obviousely that was long ago . today just the oposet  ,  have to pay attention when doing anything , pete

• Like 1

8ntruck

Great tips and ideas.  Inspiration for making my saws safer.

Point of reference - the blade tip speed of a 10" diameter blade is about 107 miles per hour.  When something bad happens, it will be over before you can react.

I was making a relatively narrow rip cut on a piece that was about a foot long.  Fortunately, I was using a plastic Craftsman push device that had setup guides, rulers, etc on it.  The saw kicked back with a loud bang, and I found myself standing there with just the handle portion of that push stick in my hand.  The workpiece was gone, the pieces of the push stick were gone.  Yup, I bumped the off switch with my thigh - but by that time, the shrapnel had bounced a time or two and landed. 

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

No one ever wants to be this guy.

Hilarious-T-Shirts-44.jpg.f7475f945d4a93efb2fd4fe8118b9808.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 2

Jeff-C175

About 45 years ago I had a mishap with a band saw.  They were able to sew my right thumb tip back on.  I was lucky it 'took'.

image.png.0c0a0b296a947aff321a9bcb89bfde00.png

RESPECT THE SAW BLADE!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Rusty Tinsnips

I have been working with saws for 40 years, mostly skill saws, outside on the jobsite in never great conditions. Had many close calls but still have all my parts attached. Your table saw setup is awesome.