Sign in to follow this  
formariz

Vintage charger

Pullstart

Still made with pride!  :dance:

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

squonk

I have close to the exact same unit. Bought it in 76' Still works but I don't cook metal with mine. :)

• Haha 2

Maxwell-8

Those are the 3 letters you look for in everything! 

Pride and quality!

All the old stuff we have,  when it breaks, we do everything we can to fix it. So we don't have to go to a cheap unreliable alternative.

From a '90's shop radio to my horses :D

Edited by Maxwell-8

stevasaurus

I still have the 10amp - 2amp without the 50amp jump start.  Mine has cleaned metal.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

formariz
27 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

All the old stuff we have,  when it breaks, we do everything we can to fix it. So we don't have to go to a cheap unreliable alternative.

I still kick myself for not have attempted to repair old one. Also totally unlike the way I am. I have no idea why I did not attempt it and just ran out to purchase a piece of trash(twice).

• Like 2

lynnmor

I have one similar to that.  My selector switch has two 2 amp positions, and yours shows an up and down arrow to select 10 or 50, strange switches on both.

formariz
6 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I still have the 10amp - 2amp without the 50amp jump start.  Mine has cleaned metal.  :occasion-xmas:

That jump start feature is great. This one is automatic, the old one had to be switched to that, otherwise is identical. 
 In retrospective probably what did it in was the fact that it worked so hard in the tank for so long. I used to have it on the start setting many times to expedite things. It really cooked the metal on that setting. What a great piece of equipment that thing was.

formariz
3 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I have one similar to that.  My selector switch has two 2 amp positions, and yours shows an up and down arrow to select 10 or 50, strange switches on both.

Yes it confused me at first. The arrow merely indicates that it will work on either mode when in that position. The cranking of the engine will automatically switch it to the 50 Amps. Stop cranking and reverts to the 10Amp charging mode. Bummer I can’t use it for some hard cooking like old one. Perhaps it will be its saving grace.

stevasaurus

One thing about these old chargers Cas, you do not have to have a battery in line to do electrolysis.  Mine stopped working once, I opened the unit and discovered not much is really in there.  Closed it back up and mine started working again.  Don't know why...could be magic.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

lynnmor
34 minutes ago, formariz said:

Yes it confused me at first. The arrow merely indicates that it will work on either mode when in that position. The cranking of the engine will automatically switch it to the 50 Amps. Stop cranking and reverts to the 10Amp charging mode. Bummer I can’t use it for some hard cooking like old one. Perhaps it will be its saving grace.

Here is a photo of mine:

IMG_0256.thumb.JPG.eaa00978fbc376242e3cf339bc29b690.JPG

formariz

@lynnmor  Pretty much like my old one. Had to be physically switched to engine start. This one just senses the draw and switches itself. It almost looks like the first 2Amps on yours should be for the 6Volts.

Edited by formariz