Joe Sullivan

Wheel Horse C165 not charging

Joe Sullivan

Hey all, I’ve got a wheel horse c165 that is not charging, I’ve had issues in the past with this tractor not charging. Which was resolved by swapping out the voltage regulator, I tried that again this time, and this time that is not the problem. Where would you guys start? Thanks!

oldlineman

Make very sure that the voltage regulator is grounded very well even to the point of running a separate ground wire to the outside of the regulator. Bob

• Like 3

Joe Sullivan
13 minutes ago, oldlineman said:

Make very sure that the voltage regulator is grounded very well even to the point of running a separate ground wire to the outside of the regulator. Bob

Thanks for the reply. Regulator is grounded very well, and I’ve made sure of a very clean connection.

• Like 2

Achto
1 hour ago, Joe Sullivan said:

Where would you guys start?

I always start at the stator. With a multi-meter set to AC power, plug the leads into the 2 stator wire (outside or top 2 terminals on the regulator plug) Start the tractor and rev it up to 3/4 to full speed. You should have between 30 and 40 volts AC. If you do not, check for broken wires. If wiring looks good then I would suspect a bad charging stator. If your AC voltage is good, then you are back to a regulator issue.

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:

If what Dan @Achto suggested isn't your problem (30 to 40 volts AC from stator) you might want to look at the wiring from the ignition switch to the R/R. The rectifier/regulator has to have 12 volts from the battery applied to the output terminal to work. Could be a connection is corroded or needs to be tightened.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Joe Sullivan   , I  use  small alligator clipped  wiring to hunt out wiring issues , try this , regulator ground / mounting bolts , clip on and go to battery ground cable bolt , behind dash , also just a light swipe of dielectric grease on the plug on connection .  worth a try , pete

rmaynard

I would first take my multimeter set to DC and check the voltage at the battery with the engine running at mid-speed. Charging voltage must be checked with a battery attached. The voltage should be between 13.5 to 14.5 volts. If not, I would suspect 1. Connections, 2. Ammeter, 3. Fuse, 4. Regulator.

165.jpg.ab81191aaf06ab04f3034321bc6aebc7.jpg

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

grinchsr

I am having the same problem so I am following.  Can the ammeter be bypassed ?

• Like 1

WHX??
3 minutes ago, grinchsr said:

Can the ammeter be bypassed

Yes... if the ammeter is open it will not charge. 

• Like 1

johnnymag3
37 minutes ago, grinchsr said:

I am having the same problem so I am following.  Can the ammeter be bypassed ?

Yes it can be....try a wire from R/R to Battery positive and eliminate ammeter in circuit path

grinchsr

Thanks for the replies.  Will try the wiring bypass 

johnnymag3
3 hours ago, grinchsr said:

Thanks for the replies.  Will try the wiring bypass 

If it proves to be successful, then the Ammeter is junk. It is just a link in the 2 wires to monitor Voltage.........

RubyCon1

Some good info from years past

Edited by RubyCon1

Joe Sullivan

Thank you all for the awesome support! My issue has been resolved, turns out, I simply had a faulty ignition switch, replaced the switch, now I’m charging great!

7DE10C1E-1EA3-459C-9B12-B86BF1CD41BB.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Tuneup

Great Joe!

Always paramount to keep the black hoods on the road.

• Excellent 1