Pullstart

Another Why? Thread.

Pullstart

What could have ended in another tragedy, in our own front yard… 

I’m glad my girls are home today, safe from the world’s wretched few.  I know there is more good than bad, I know our home community is strong and positive.  Whether this was a joke or serious plot, it’s uncalled for.

E4B6C0A0-62A4-416D-BCE0-665655158E57.jpeg

• Sad 7

Stormin

I'll lay odds on that some pupil/pupils wanted a day off.

• Like 3

oldlineman

Very sad, this happened in our local school district about a week ago. Although we don't have any children in school anymore, we sympathise with today's parents. Bad times we live in and will only get worse! Bob  

• Like 2

ri702bill

No more calls folks, we have a Grand Prize winner!!

Yup, been there - back in my High School days (68-72), it was a popular occurrence to have someone phone in a bomb threat to avoid a math test.

We were the first graduating class from the new High School - moved in in early 1969. Seems we had a rather "talented" individual in our group that would do just that. The new School had a pay phone in the lobby outside of administration - most of those threat calls originated from that phone. One day "Norman" called in a threat, not knowing that the vice Principal was standing right behind him ... he hangs up the phone, gets detained and expelled.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

oldlineman

I graduated in 1969 and can not remember any school shootings or bomb threats  anyware during that time. There were pranks done in schools back then but I don't believe they were made with the same intent and severity. Bob   

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell
35 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I'll lay odds on that some pupil/pupils wanted a day off.

Back in my High School days if we wanted a few days off, It was common to just allow our facial hair to grow....automatic 2 day suspension.

This happened quite often during deer season.   BTW, the entire school district was closed for the first day of deer season.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

oldlineman

Ya or took a dip of snuff. Not kill people! Bob

• Like 4

squonk

I tore my knee playing basketball when I was a junior in 76'. I'm out of school for a few days. Back in school on crutches and during gym class I 'm standing on the sidelines and a teacher comes in and tells me I have to report to the principal's office. It's a long ways to go on crutches but I get there and in his office are 2 State Troopers and a Sherrif. I find out there was a bomb threat the day before and they are interviewing every student that was out that day. They just asked me what I did that day. I told them I watched game shows all day. That was it. It's the only bomb threat I can remember at my school and I missed it! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

@squonk in reality, there’s a whole lot more fun dumb things I can think of than to threaten “jokingly or not” a community with such a loss.  You know me, I do plenty of stupid stuff.

rjg854

:text-goodpost:

38 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

@squonk  You know me, I do plenty of stupid stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Handy Don

My fave school prank was at my son's high school. One of the staircases in the six-level building was on the outside with double doors closing off each floor entry. A clever student bought a LOT of those small "super balls" and dumped them down the stairs from the top floor while the doors were all closed during a class. Apparently there was no damage but the noise of them bouncing their way all over as they went down could be heard throughout the school! Ingenious, in my book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

I recall a couple bomb threats back in the mid 60s at high school usually on a nice spring day as we had to leave the building and sit on the athletic fields... Play talk nap etc...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Never got any time off, but a  trick  from my grade school days in the '50s.

Our one room (all eight grades) school had an old coal fired Hetrola located in the center of the room.    We older boys were charged with filling the coal buckets and hauling out the ashes.

Every year a few .22 cartridges found thier way into the coal.

I might add, during trapping season I carried my .22 to school.   I wlaked my trapline  on the way to school and dispatched coon,opossum, and skunk on the way.

This was back in the Applachians in Southern Somerset Co. Pee Aaaa.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

CCW
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

This happened quite often during deer season.   BTW, the entire school district was closed for the first day of deer season.

My son-in-law went to high school in Vermont.  Back then during hunting season they were told to put their long guns in their lockers because the administration did not want the guns in the cars.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Snoopy11

Most people run away from threats... I run towards them...

Going to college... was fun. Threats happened.

Problem is, with active shooter incident training... both of law enforcement and civilians... nobody wants to be the guy who takes-out the shooter.

Training has taught me... if you don't act swiftly... you... and many other people are going to die. :handgestures-thumbdown:

Don

• Sad 1
  • Heart 1

squonk

Worse I did was glue a quarter to the floor of the cafeteria and connect a 10,000 volt transformer to it. :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

oldlineman

we used to in shop charge a small engine capacitor on a running small engine spark plug and then hand it to someone.:scared-eek: Bob 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Most people run away from threats... I run towards them...

Going to college... was fun. Threats happened.

Problem is, with active shooter incident training... both of law enforcement and civilians... nobody wants to be the guy who takes-out the shooter.

Training has taught me... if you don't act swiftly... you... and many other people are going to die. :handgestures-thumbdown:

Don

I’ve not had active shooter training, but am licensed to conceal and those kind of go hand in hand.  If ever I’m in that situation, I’ll be sure to bulrush that SOB if that’s my only option.  Much better odds than running directly away.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart
41 minutes ago, oldlineman said:

we used to in shop charge a small engine capacitor on a running small engine spark plug and then hand it to someone.:scared-eek: Bob 

simple tricks right there.  Like having someone test a piezo igniter.

ri702bill

Why does the phrase "Here, hold my beer" come to mind ?   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

squonk
2 hours ago, oldlineman said:

Same 10,000 volt transformer. We wired it to an all metal bench and threw a bunch of tools on it. When the seniors would come in early for the auto shop class which was next, the teacher told them to put those tools away! :hilarious:

• Haha 3

roadapples

I called the local radio station, told them I was the principal, and school would be closed on account of snow. Hardly anyone showed up. The real principal was really ticked. I was 15. Didn't tell my best friend until we graduated...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

kpinnc
11 hours ago, CCW said:

My son-in-law went to high school in Vermont.  Back then during hunting season they were told to put their long guns in their lockers because the administration did not want the guns in the cars.

Pretty common for us late 80s to have rifles and shotguns in the truck window. Never had a single instance of them being used at school. I'm guessing someone raised us to respect firearms and what they were for.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

They have found the suspect, not even a student of the school system.  Our students are “safe” once again and are back in class this morning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Sparky
46 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

They have found the suspect, not even a student of the school system.  Our students are “safe” once again and are back in class this morning.

So what the heck could have been the motivation??? 
    Bizarre!