peter lena

belt size checking , at T/S

peter lena

having played this game , use the near by support racking  at your local T/S as a belt stretch verification to your  old belt size fit. a lot of the belts on the rack are incorrectly sleeved . find a solid pipe end point , and match up old / new belts . doing the  belt over belt stretch  on a pipe pull , my belt replacements have been exact with no issues , pete 

• Like 5

Achto

My local TSC has a tool for measuring the belts. Works great!

• Like 3

squonk

Do not use those tools. Belts do not stretch. The sides wear down giving the false impression that the belt is longer. If you measure a belt with one of those stretchy thingys  and the sides are worn down, you will get a measurement longer than the belt was when it was new. Those tools will get you in the ball park but that's it. A 1/2" wide belt could be worn to 3/8" and you would never know it.

Mark the outside of the belt with chalk. Use a tape measure for the O.D. Use your best judgement of what the width should be.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Achto  yes my t/s has that belt tool , don't like it compared to solid pipe pull , with old on top of new , let me go to a better fitting belt . also a Kevlar belt  , pretty standard today , pete

• Like 2

kpinnc

I thought you were always supposed to flip a belt inside out to measure anyway?

Doesn't matter if it's worn. Measures correct regardless of wear.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
13 hours ago, Achto said:

My local TSC has a tool for measuring the belts. Works great!

Mine too !

Horse Newbie
12 hours ago, squonk said:

Mark the outside of the belt with chalk. Use a tape measure for the O.D

I do that, but I lay a tape measure out on the floor, start the mark at zero… roll the belt alongside the tape measure and see where the mark comes out to.

• Like 1

rjg854
7 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I do that, but I lay a tape measure out on the floor, start the mark at zero… roll the belt alongside the tape measure and see where the mark comes out to.

What you don't understand is that Mike can't get down to the floor and if he does, he can't get up.  You have to understand how it is with some of those old guys :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

squonk
1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

What you don't understand is that Mike can't get down to the floor and if he does, he can't get up.  You have to understand how it is with some of those old guys :(

Then there are guys who are closer to the floor than other guys! :teasing-poke:

• Haha 3

peter lena

@Horse Newbie  as you build up your wiring set up , you easily include , these bolt on electrical lugs ,https://www.grainger.com/product/BLACKBURN-Mechanical-Connector-3LN35?,  I use these on a lot of areas , for an easy / solid wiring go to , for added grounding or on a reroute spot . only using the picture as a reference , local h/w store has them . now is the time to correct an issue or improve a function , if you want to , found a lot of ideas , on a roller stool , looking at how things are saposed to work , very often changing a fitting or tightening up / lubricating a movement point . my horses all look original , but they all work and function totally different from original set up . never seen the wheel horse police , don't be scared to  make anything better , pete

• Like 1