RED-Z06

Ive decided to just let er rattle...

RED-Z06

Since the rebuild with new rod, piston, rings, with the crank and bore both within tolerance...it still rattles at idle.

Ive put 6 gallons through it since and it seems fine, but under a load it rattles, and at idle it rattles.  I pushed it hard...riding the brake in 3rd gear to load it up, sounded like hell..but nothing happened except now the brakes work really well.  Oil is still clear..and i have an electric fuel pump now..i really like that.

• Like 1

WHX??

Sounds like valve clatter fellas? I know some guys like to set the valve lash a little tighter to avoid valve clatter but not sure if that's what it is. Balance gears in or out? 

• Like 1

RED-Z06
10 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Sounds like valve clatter fellas? I know some guys like to set the valve lash a little tighter to avoid valve clatter but not sure if that's what it is. Balance gears in or out? 

Gears in, engine has 158 hours on it.  Valves both within spec, in fact both Valves are near the minimum spec.

There was alot of lash in the mesh of the balance gears

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

That's a somewhat different kinda rattle than my K301 has.

Yours is VERY regular, and consistent.

Hard to describe mine... when it's rattling it sorta like 'comes and goes', like something is 'floating around' in there.  That's why I keep going back to camshaft end play.

Yeah, at this point if'n I were you, I'd just run it until it does something bad... IF it ever even does something bad.

I onceuponatime had an old MGA that had a piston slap, and it was loud.  Well... pretty loud... and I put about 50K on that thing and it never got louder or blew up.

Hopefully your engine will do the same, run for ever'n'ever.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RED-Z06
7 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That's a somewhat different kinda rattle than my K301 has.

Yours is VERY regular, and consistent.

Hard to describe mine... when it's rattling it sorta like 'comes and goes', like something is 'floating around' in there.  That's why I keep going back to camshaft end play.

Yeah, at this point if'n I were you, I'd just run it until it does something bad... IF it ever even does something bad.

I onceuponatime had an old MGA that had a piston slap, and it was loud.  Well... pretty loud... and I put about 50K on that thing and it never got louder or blew up.

Hopefully your engine will do the same, run for ever'n'ever.

If i find a bit more rpm...it will come and go.  Honestly right before  this video it just randomly and suddenly decided to idle right after about 4hrs...like it just started running rich and it let me turn the low speed screw out about 3/4 turn and turn the low in 1.5 turns and the Hi in 1/2 turn...not sure what happened but its running nice now.  

• Like 1

Snoopy11

I'll be a horses pa-toot if that doesn't sound like the rod to me.

Are you POSITIVE that you tightened the cap to spec? :eusa-think:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 3

AMC RULES

211901844_Screenshot_20220119-193308_SamsungInternet.jpg.86abf71e3c6d934033fc3f743e09b5c3.jpg

:eusa-hand:  Comes to mind.

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 2

Snoopy11
Just now, AMC RULES said:

211901844_Screenshot_20220119-193308_SamsungInternet.jpg.86abf71e3c6d934033fc3f743e09b5c3.jpg

:eusa-hand:  Comes to mind.

Yes sir. I second that.

Even if there isn't any oil coming out of the breather... it sounds like it is only a matter of time...

If there IS any oil coming out of the breather, coupled with a knocking sound... LOOKOUT...

I certainly would not run with that sound...

Don

• Like 2

Snoopy11

By the way, that is not a rattle, that is a knock.

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat::text-+1:

From hell!

641758090_Screenshot_20220119-151336_SamsungInternet.jpg.aee5bb047beac78d9a5da809957e61b8.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

641758090_Screenshot_20220119-151336_SamsungInternet.jpg.aee5bb047beac78d9a5da809957e61b8.jpg

MONEY Craig... :music-rockon:

Just... MONEY... :greetings-clappingyellow:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

I think... in this case, @RED-Z06 you can disregard my signature... AKedOLShIW4VUiUiCzcJzsywoeEDxR8XxIhfaVgi :sad-pacing:

Don

Achto
17 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

Honestly right before  this video it just randomly and suddenly decided to idle right after about 4hrs

Things are breaking in and running free. Most often I find my self turning the idle down after a few hours of run time.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Screenshot_20220119-194902_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 8

Wheelhorse#1

Yep sounds like this one.

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Like 2

WHX??
40 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

Gears in

Thers yer first mistake .... who was it guys that just ripped a rebuild back down to ditch them to find a bad bearing? 

I couldn't hear the knock but will take it from younger ears. 

Yer a :occasion-clown: Madge.... :lol:

• Like 2

lynnmor

Wrist pin maybe?  Try turning the engine back and forth at different degrees of rotation and feel for looseness and noise. 

• Like 2

RED-Z06
16 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Wrist pin maybe?  Try turning the engine back and forth at different degrees of rotation and feel for looseness and noise. 

Nothing, and on shut down...nothing out of the ordinary, it goes away a few hundred rpm above low idle 

• Like 1

RED-Z06
36 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Yes sir. I second that.

Even if there isn't any oil coming out of the breather... it sounds like it is only a matter of time...

If there IS any oil coming out of the breather, coupled with a knocking sound... LOOKOUT...

I certainly would not run with that sound...

Don

Breather's dry, plug clean, no oil use at all...heck i pushed  dirt with it for an hour today screaming 3600...never thought twice about it.  Sounds angry loaded up but..so far its just the sound.

• Like 2

RED-Z06
45 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

I'll be a horses pa-toot if that doesn't sound like the rod to me.

Are you POSITIVE that you tightened the cap to spec? :eusa-think:

Don

Called for 285 in/lb and i took it to 24 ft/lbs, the sound was evident immediately upon starting..and there was no movement in the rod while it was apart.

• Like 1

WHX??

Runner like ya stole her then ... gets any worse tho I would pull it apart again. 

• Like 1

RED-Z06

Im keeping an eye out for another Magnum..12 thru 16 locally.

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Let me say it this way... I wouldn't run that engine with that sound... period... :ph34r:

Don

• Like 1

RED-Z06
17 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Let me say it this way... I wouldn't run that engine with that sound... period... :ph34r:

Don

Well...she's gonna get a couple more hours of break-in tomorrow.  Im not even worried about it, msybe the video makes it seem worse...in person it sounds more like loose sheet metal rattling.

• Like 1

kpinnc
4 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Thers yer first mistake .... who was it guys that just ripped a rebuild back down to ditch them to find a bad bearing? 

Not a rebuild, but I went back recently in one to find almost gone gear bearings.

Trying to motivate myself to do the Bronco now. Almost killed my back, so I'm struggling to convince myself. :rolleyes:

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1