vrajcula

Hydraulic or electric snow plow lift on a wheel horse

vrajcula

Hi,

I was wondering if any one has tried to put a hydraulic or electrical lift on their wheel horse snowplow? I have a 1987 310-8.

If so, how?

Are you happy with it?

Hydraulic or electric? Which might be best?

Thanks!

Vin R

• Like 1

Goldnboy

Your going to come out this probably thinking you should buy a hydro version of the same tractor. The swap is time consuming and with the cost of parts you will probably find another tractor for the amount spent doing a swap. 

However it can be done. 

Here is a picture of my conversion on a different  model series. 

Note I swaped in a 14Hp engine in the process too...

20200624_193915.jpg

Edited by Goldnboy
  • Like 2

WHX??

:WRS:  Vin.

Either way would be alot of custom work in a gear jammer. And not sure if there is a way to tie an electric into the rock shaft. Guessing you think outside the box it could be done tho. 

Since I am always up for buying another :wh: Golden's idea gets my vote. Plowing is much more enjoyable on a hydro. 

• Like 2

pfrederi

Get a  hydro electrics are slow response ...or man up blades aren't that heavy:P

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  if you do indeed prefer the gear jammer type, :wh: has got you covered!  There were electric lift options for your model and there were 953/1054 models with gear drive AND factory hydraulics :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

WHX??
38 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

...or man up blades aren't that heavy:P

You had as many shoulder cuttings as I they are a ton!

• Like 2

Achto

NO pictures, but a friend of mine added a small winch to the front of his tractor to raise & lower the plow. Much like what is used on an ATV plow. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Plowing is much more enjoyable on a hydro.

:text-yeahthat:     Hydro Power ...the only way to go for snow machines.

• Excellent 3

roadapples
25 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat:     Hydro Power ...the only way to go for snow machines.

And us old guys. Work smarter not harder.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH

2 Black Hood Eight speeds with plows here… respectfully disagree with the hydro crowd… gears work great on Michigan’s snow!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

And look at my arms!!! :scared-eek:

image.jpeg.cdabc2c5ee6a672f2d80b3fa558912b4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Ed Kennell
15 hours ago, Goldnboy said:

Your going to come out this probably thinking you should buy a hydro version of the same tractor. The swap is time consuming and with the cost of parts you will probably find another tractor for the amount spent doing a swap. 

However it can be done. 

Here is a picture of my conversion on a different  model series. 

Note I swaped in a 14Hp engine in the process too...

20200624_193915.jpg

I'm liking the repositioning of the blade angle rod.    Did you have to bend or make a new rod when you moved it to the top of the sector or just turn the rod over.

• Excellent 1

Goldnboy
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm liking the repositioning of the blade angle rod.    Did you have to bend or make a new rod when you moved it to the top of the sector or just turn the rod over.

Ed since my blade is only used for dirt , I found this installation quick and easy way you use hitch pin clips for securing the rod. I just turn the rod over. However,  it never occurred I may hook mine up incorrectly. 

Ed Kennell

So the hole in the top plate of the sector existed?    All the frames I have had, the hole is on the bottom.

Goldnboy
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

So the hole in the top plate of the sector existed?    All the frames I have had, the hole is on the bottom.

Ed I think some models have a hole on top and bottom as shown in opeators manual.

Screenshot_20220120-162901_Drive.jpg

• Thanks 1