Inspectorjoe

Snow/dozer blade handle clearance

Inspectorjoe

I planned on outfitting two tractors with snow blades, a 1974 C-120 Automatic. and a 1973 14 Automatic. The two plow frames I have are identical. They look like they will fit long frame tractors. 

The frame handle on the C-120 just touches the footrest when it's angled to the left, but when it's angled to the right, the handle and release cable hit the PTO clutch assembly. Also, it's so far forward, I can't possibly reach it from the seat. On the No-name, when the blade is in the center position, the handle touches the footrest. There's no way it can be angled left.

Am I doing something wrong or do I have the wrong plow frames?

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

jj.jpg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I believe you have the correct plow frames for your tractors, but there are several different blade angle levers.

Sometimes you have to modify to fit.    

On my 312H I had to flip the lever around and insert a spacer to get it to clear everythig.

104_0220.JPG.9d156900a42eff4ba9e4d3a9ea9a7b1d.JPG

On my 520H, I wanted the lever inside the cab. I don't like cold.

So I cut bent and welded.     

104_0219.JPG.dc46711d8ff0179caf62f435448ed010.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I believe you have the correct plow frames for your tractors, but there are several different blade angle levers.

Sometimes you have to modify to fit.

I'm with Ed. 

In fact I think it looks like a PO did just that on both of your setups.  

The one that touches the PTO looks like it's been bent in the past and possibly even installed backwards. 

The other one I can't tell for sure. Maybe home made or also modified.  

• Like 3

squonk

Your 3rd pic. I see a weld on that lever by the floorboard. Definitely modified.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

In your 1st & 2nd pic, the flat bar Index lever(#20 here)  is on backwards.  The cut-away notch s/b forward...allowing that lever to tilt back so tou do'nt strain your milk trying to reach it.  (ps..I had made  other notes on this pic that you can disregard .)

DOZER.gif

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

OutdoorEnvy

Joe your handle is flipped backwards.  Take it off the frame and turn it 180 degrees.  Your wire cable from handle lever should run through the eye loop on the inside.  See my pic as it appears your same handle

54499F7B-60F9-452F-BA1E-F1C442440105.jpeg.97acbbe0a2c68d39f1858fe6bafea5ba.jpeg

Edit:  you’ll need flip around the squeeze lever too on the handle.  Good luck with it!

Edited by OutdoorEnvy
  • Like 4

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:  But you will have to get rid of the bend that is not factory.

Just a note, I had to put my lever on backwards and use a spacer to clear the foot pedal motion control on all my hydros.

• Like 2

killroy

I can't turn mine left on my 73 16hp no name either.  I'll have to look at mine tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Inspectorjoe

Thanks for the help, everyone.

On 1/19/2022 at 7:03 PM, OutdoorEnvy said:

Joe your handle is flipped backwards.  Take it off the frame and turn it 180 degrees.  Your wire cable from handle lever should run through the eye loop on the inside.  See my pic as it appears your same handle

54499F7B-60F9-452F-BA1E-F1C442440105.jpeg.97acbbe0a2c68d39f1858fe6bafea5ba.jpeg

Edit:  you’ll need flip around the squeeze lever too on the handle.  Good luck with it!

I thought the handle might have been installed backwards when I saw the eye on the opposite side of the rod, but wondered why the squeeze lever would be reversed. I guess the guy I got it from made it fit whatever he had it on that way. 

Inspectorjoe

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I probably could have figured things out myself if I had taken the time to fit them to the tractors months ago, instead of starting when the snow was already falling. But that wouldn't be me. I put the pro in procrastination.

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, Inspectorjoe said:

I put the pro in procrastination

:ROTF:

It's possible I may do the same.  

Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow???

• Like 2

rjg854
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I just can't resist

it's very obvious   :teasing-neener:

• Like 1

squonk
35 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

200 pages! 

• Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Inspectorjoe said:

I put the pro in procrastination.

57 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow?

Reminds me of one of my favorites:

image.jpeg.d646c4388953a8822fb18de2380c7435.jpeg

I will gladly fix my broken - “fill in the broken item here” - when I need to, or after I need to, well maybe, sorta…

:hide:

• Haha 3

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Inspectorjoe said:

I put the pro in procrastination.

I've learned to respond to the easiest unfinished highest priority item first.

Why?

Immediate gratification and the eternal hope that more difficult tasks will become lower priority before I have to respond.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Inspectorjoe
21 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I've learned to respond to the easiest unfinished highest priority item first.

Why?

Immediate gratification and the eternal hope that more difficult tasks will become lower priority before I have to respond.

I REALLY like the second half of that reasoning.

One thing I didn't procrastinate too long on was painting the blade faces, which I did last fall. And that was only because I had memories of doing it to a Power King blade a few years ago in a frigid garage, working under a jerry-rigged tarp heated by an electric heater.

Speaking of frigid garage, This weekend I finally have time to get back to fitting these plows on. I waited till now, to take advantage of the warmest part of the day. The garage is currently a balmy 23 degrees. 

IMG_1076.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

What are you using as wear bars? Look like plastic…?

Inspectorjoe
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

What are you using as wear bars? Look like plastic…?

3/4" polyurethane made by FallLine. It was obscenely expensive, but I had great luck with one I bought in 2017, so I bit the bullet and shelled out the bucks.

This 60" one (that I cut down to 54" was $119 + $22 shipping +$8.46 tax for a total of $149. 46. By comparison, the 48" one I bought in 2017 for $58 costs $91 today. This is from Amazon, but they're priced a little cheaper directly from FallLine. I don't recall why I didn't but directly from FallLine in 2017. One reason may be that they don't tell you the shipping cost until after it ships. I just went with Amazon again for the 60" one because it was a one-click process.

IMG_1077.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rjg854
14 hours ago, Inspectorjoe said:

3/4" polyurethane made by FallLine. It was obscenely expensive, but I had great luck with one I bought in 2017, so I bit the bullet and shelled out the bucks.

What are you saying then     :confusion-shrug:      you only got 4 years of use out of it?  

EB-80/8inPA
On 1/21/2022 at 3:42 PM, ebinmaine said:

Don’t say you weren’t expecting whatever blowback resulted from throwing out that red meat to these carnivores around here; I’m starting to think you’re a glutton for punishment!

:ychain:
a COLOSSAL one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

throwing out that red meat to these carnivores

Don't bother me a whisker. 

Broad shoulders both literally and figuratively. 

🐻 :wh:

• Like 1

Inspectorjoe
4 hours ago, rjg854 said:

What are you saying then     :confusion-shrug:      you only got 4 years of use out of it?  

No, I sold the tractor it was on three years later. It showed almost no wear (although it didn't see extremely heavy use).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1