Oldskool

Just another parts pile build

kpinnc

If you know a decent machinist, you could have a sleeve made up with internal threads that butts up against the largest shoulder there. 

Just an idea. No clue how good an idea or not...

• Like 3

Oldskool
4 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

If you know a decent machinist, you could have a sleeve made up with internal threads that butts up against the largest shoulder there. 

Just an idea. No clue how good an idea or not...

It is a good idea.

Unfortunately that section of the shaft is to large of a diameter for the clutch to fit.

The shiny section of the shaft is the correct size for the clutch.

Handy Don

Get the engine running and grind down that shoulder!  😇🤪:hide:

• Excellent 2

Oldskool
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

That Don,...just might have to happen. 

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Handy Don said:

8 hours ago, Oldskool said:

That Don,...just might have to happen. 

I'd had that thought too. 

With your abilities it's a realistic possibility for correction of the size and installation of the clutch.  

• Like 1

cafoose

Just a thought :eusa-think: could you drill out the side of the pulley towards the engine the depth and diameter of the shoulder so the pulley goes closer to the engine?

• Like 3

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, cafoose said:

Just a thought

Good thought. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Always interesting to me to present a situation and see how different folks come up with different solutions.  

Often several will work and none are right or wrong. 

• Like 2

Oldskool
7 minutes ago, cafoose said:

Just a thought :eusa-think: could you drill out the side of the pulley towards the engine the depth and diameter of the shoulder so the pulley goes closer to the engine?

The pulley actually has a large enough hole in it already to clear the shoulder. When installed it's going to be really close to the case as it sits. Also as things sit,  the engine fits under the hood without any trimming.

Oldskool

There is a sleeve in the clutch. It slides on to the crank and the clutch bearing rides on it. 

What's it's purpose other then being a shim?

Oldskool

I guess where I was going with the last question is could it be removed and could I just make a crank adapter/lengthener to that outside dimension?

wallfish

The sleeve is just the inner race for the bearing

Your pic shows the pulley groove next to the block so the shoulder shouldn't need to be modified but that pulley looks wide. What about a single groove pulley that goes right on that shoulder? It would still need to be keyed to the shaft but that seems to be the case for any pulley since that shaft doesn't have a keyway. But, that might give you more shaft outside of the drive pulley to work with.

For extending the shaft if needed, could the threaded section be ground down to a smaller diameter and then threaded again to accept a shaft extension threaded on to the new smaller threads? Then the sleeve/race could span that connection for more support. :dunno: Maybe even grind a V at the seem and weld it on too? Just think'n out loud again

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

@wallfish I just bundled up so I could go check things out.

I could mill off one of the grooves. That would probably give me just enough. I had thoughts of using the second groove but I can just use the second groove on the clutch.

I'm hoping to have a hub built for the pulley this weekend.

As for keying the shaft I'll just cut my own groove into it.

• Like 1

Oldskool

Is the groove in this inner race just for looks or is there an outer snap ring that goes there?

20220122_113419.jpg

wallfish
13 hours ago, Oldskool said:

I was figuring it probably would do to the size of the cast iron vane it had screwed on it. When I removed the vane there wasn't any other supports for it.

I could be guessing wrong.

Besides wouldn't the trans drive belt kind of equal that out.?

I guess with there being a belt I didn't really think it over as much as I would if it was chain drive.

The vane pump load is centered on the shaft so it's a spinning load not a side load.

It would be difficult to equalize any side loads 180 deg apart on the belts since the loads will change like driving up hill and or say, loading a blower full of snow. You may be able to add a sealed bearing under the pulley without opening the engine if you use that pulley with all the space under it. :dunno:

And you might be all set with that length of shaft if you can just thread something on those threads and machine it to the diameter if the shaft. Yes it will be thin but the race will be supporting it too.

This is from the 520-HC

IMG_0912.JPG.a587cf84b61c201d68b572460d1a88a8.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wallfish
25 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Is the groove in this inner race just for looks or is there an outer snap ring that goes there?

That groove in the race goes towards the clutch plate and the 2 clips that bolt the clutch plate on to the pulley go into that groove to hold the race on.

see the pic above with the 2 clips mounted in that race groove

Edited by wallfish

Oldskool

@wallfish the shaft looks like it falls short of the end of that race by about an inch?

Pullstart

I haven’t seen anything in this page a little duct tape couldn’t take up the slack on.  

• Like 1

kpinnc
5 hours ago, Oldskool said:

What's it's purpose other then being a shim?

It provides an inner race to the bearing at the full length of the rollers, and holds the clutch plate on center as well

• Like 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, Oldskool said:

@wallfish the shaft looks like it falls short of the end of that race by about an inch?

3/4

• Excellent 1

Oldskool

Been under the weather lately. Today felt well enough for a dig around in the parts pile. I do not even remember getting this little cylinder and I found 3 different control valves from Fisher plows, misc hoses, and a couple more plow pumps.

I must be able to come up with something useful for this build.

20220123_145607.jpg

20220123_145723.jpg

20220123_152137.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

Well this build went absolutely nowhere.

It's been sitting in the garage collecting dust.

I've been looking at other custom builds lately using WH parts. 

I'm thinking I may have to breathe new life into this.

Also wondering if I should keep this thread going or start a new one for it?

I have a couple of thoughts where this build may go but nothing definite.

If any one wants to contribute a cool build idea PLEASE do.

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

Well I think your idea of putting two engines on it is interesting enough to keep this thread going :dunno:

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

If it’s the same guts, just different direction, keep it going… shows progression of thought…

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 2

kpinnc
44 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Also wondering if I should keep this thread going or start a new one for it?

Every build I've started always evolves into something else. Keep it going, even if starting with a clean slate. Besides, it makes referencing back much easier if you ever need to.

• Like 3