rmaynard

Delivery cost the store more than the part

rmaynard

I was in need of a Champion 12C12Y spark plug. So I went online to my local Advance Auto Parts store here in town. The plug cost me $2.79. I was going to pick it up when I saw that it qualified for free same day delivery. So I completed my purchase and within an hour it was at my front door. Delivered by Door Dash. Now I know they don't work for free, but how does a store make any money like this?

I'm scratching' my head.

• Confused 2

CCW

They're hoping you buy something worth more than $2.79.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

squonk

Chances are the plug was put on a truck with a bunch of deliveries to commercial accounts. Most of those are "Master Installers" who pay less than store cost on high volume items like pads and rotors. Store gets a rebate from the manufacturer to cover the loss plus some profit. Customer gets a break and buys more stuff. Manufacturer gets to tell stock holders look how much we're selling!   At least that's how it was done 18 yrs. ago. Truck was out on delivery cost the store very little to drop off your plug. Store made about a dollar on that plug.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

squonk

Store probably hired Door Dash instead of having delivery trucks and Insurance costs. One of our stores years ago used a taxi service for deliveries.

Sparky

So is it expected that the Door Dash driver gets a tip? Like you would for say a pizza delivery guy? 

• Haha 1

AMC RULES

Screenshot_20220115-121258_Chrome.jpg.ed08803f4ed6f17ff93fb8eb6f297088.jpg

rmaynard
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Chances are the plug was put on a truck with a bunch of deliveries to commercial accounts. 

Delivered by a young girl in her own private car.

953 nut
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

is it expected that the Door Dash driver gets a tip?

:confusion-confused:            No, she will just egg Bob's house next time she drives by.           :scared-eek:

• Haha 1

squonk
12 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Delivered by a young girl in her own private car.

Like I said in post , store hires outside contractor to handle deliveries. They get a pile to go out and pick up the phone and call. You would be surprised how hard it is to get reliable drivers. Sounds like it should be easy. It was tough 18 years ago and probably tougher today. Hire Door dash or Uber. The drivers have more of a stake in the process. Store has a fixed cost per month. A busy store will wear out a truck in 2 years.

Edited by squonk

Ed Kennell

Two of my Grandsons work for Door Dash when they are home from PSU.     They luv it and say they make some good bucks on tips.   They can pick and choose thier deliveries and they only do food.

• Like 1

rmaynard
On 1/17/2022 at 6:53 PM, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:            No, she will just egg Bob's house next time she drives by.           :scared-eek:

I did not decide that Door Dash would make the delivery. It's on the seller to make sure she is paid properly. 

On 1/17/2022 at 7:02 PM, squonk said:

Like I said in post , store hires outside contractor to handle deliveries. They get a pile to go out and pick up the phone and call. You would be surprised how hard it is to get reliable drivers. Sounds like it should be easy. It was tough 18 years ago and probably tougher today. Hire Door dash or Uber. The drivers have more of a stake in the process. Store has a fixed cost per month. A busy store will wear out a truck in 2 years.

If the store is going to have a "free" same day delivery, I would think that they would have a minimum purchase. 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

566714581_Screenshot_20220119-070957_SamsungInternet.jpg.42f0239f44022093075f6c6bc5d99cad.jpg

:eusa-hand:  Soo...you didn't even tip her?   :snooty:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

squonk

There was more than likely more parts in that car to be delivered than your spark plug.

Sparky
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

566714581_Screenshot_20220119-070957_SamsungInternet.jpg.42f0239f44022093075f6c6bc5d99cad.jpg

Maybe he told her “Don’t buy Green n Yeller tractors”…that was the tip :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

rmaynard
2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

I was out in the pole building when I got a text from Door Dash saying that Melanie was in my driveway. Even if I had wanted to tip her, she dropped it at the door and was out the drive before I had a chance to get back to the house.

• Thanks 1

squonk

I always enjoyed delivering parts. We had 1 customer with a German Shepherd. He would climb into the truck so I would take him on a run dropped him off on the way back..Then there was the farm that had a lot of chickens. I was unloading a big filter order and they took over the truck!. :)

• Haha 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Bet you gotta tip.

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, squonk said:

.Then there was the farm that had a lot of chickens.

Back in the day I spied a chicken wandering around the parking lot.   One of my model assemblers caught it and took it home.

Several days later, after the chicken story spread thru the  main shop, an irate welder came into my office demanding to see the chicken thief.

Seems his valuable Bantam Rooster had roosted on the axle of his truck and rode there the 5 mile to work.

His rooster was returned....we did not get a tip for finding the axle riding rooster.     I guess the "no tip" keeps us on topic Bob.    :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2