Sign in to follow this  
Kenneth R Cluley

Rebuild 8 horse

Kenneth R Cluley

Okay engine Guru's, newbie needs some help! Rebuilding older 8 horse and I am new to small engines. I have rebuilt numerous car/truck engines but never a kohler k. I have researched all available videos and really appreciate the small block tutorial by Prondzy. I am at reassembly stage, so my question is, related to timing marks. I have camshaft with centrifical advance which has a groove or line on spacer that engages pawls. does this groove line up with pointed part of casting on inner rim of gear? Also, there is a groove on opposite side of camshaft gear that I believe should align with pointed mark on casting of crankshaft. See attached pictures. Thanks for any help. Just want to be sure!

IMG_0894[1].JPG

IMG_0895[1].JPG

IMG_0896[1].JPG

squonk

You want that triangle shaped thingy on the cam to line up with  the little nubby thingy on the crank. And that groove is the timing mark for the points lobe and you want that lined up with the triangle as well. Don't forget your cam shim.

Some more info here:

Edited by squonk

Kenneth R Cluley

Thanks for that reference, somehow missed that originally. I am having similar experience with this build. Didn't pay much for engine that was supposedly all ready to go except for governor arm and spring. When i got inside found all sorts of broken/missing parts. Finally sorted out and attempting to reassemble. Since I never attempted kohler before wanted to be absolutely sure of timing. That cam is an interesting animal to get correct! 

squonk

That's why I ash-canned the spark advance cam and installed a compression release version with matching tappet.

Kenneth R Cluley

Almost same problems, governor shaft broken internally, governor gear broken, spare parts in pan, most of governor externals missing, hardware broken/missing. Every day a new surprise. This project seems like it will never end. You will have to take a number and wait in line to kick me in the nuts on this one! After reading some of recent posts (RED-Z06) I just wanted to make sure as the 2-piece cam threw me for a loop. Wish I had seen your thread before. Thanks again for help!  

Kenneth R Cluley

Curious about cap torque, I have master rebuild kit, and directions say 140 inch pounds, read that if bolts it's 200 inch pounds, if studs and cap nuts its 140 if new and 100 if used. I saw in thread you used 200. The one i took out was cap nuts on studs the new one is bolts. 

squonk

Bolts 200 in lbs.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Kenneth R Cluley
      By Kenneth R Cluley
      Got my parts from Lincoln, governor gear and shaft. So, I started assembly today. Took me three tries to get that two-piece crank in, thankfully it was within spec when done so I didn't have to take it back apart to shim!  Got the crank in, lapped valves and ground to spec. I found this old aluminum fixture from a hospital bed oxygen filter mount and squared it up on belt sander that worked really well on valve stem. Progress at last, will finish up soon. Hope it runs well when done! Going to put it on my 653.

• Jennifer
      By Jennifer
      Hello everyone!  Got a real puzzle here!  Husband has visited with some on here by phone, but he is getting really frustrated!  Can anyone help us with this tractor!  It will be mowing fine, then start dying off and on at different time frames!  Temperature out side sometimes seems to play a part but could be coincident.  So he has put more and more money in this and not fixed the issue!  A list of what he has done thus far! 
      new Fuel line
      new condensor
      new points
      new carb
      new plug wire
      new spark plug
      Used fuel pump
      new coil
      new switch
      new battery
      new head gasket
      soaked it with marvel mystry oil
      soaked it with sea foam
      removed fuel tank cleaned and blew out
      cleaned sediment bowl. Brand new one is on its way
      changed oil
      all 4 brand new belts

• Wheelhorse427
      By Wheelhorse427
      The Kohler K181 on my 855 will only rev to about 2500 RPMs. When I pull the throttle cable out the whole way with the engine running, I can see the governor arm push the throttle back down. I have adjusted the governor by the manual 3 or 4 times, but it made no difference. I'm pretty sure the throttle linkage is hooked up correctly because the throttle will open the whole way when the engine isn't running. Do I need to replace my governor gear? Thanks in advance. 
    • 69-Raider-10
      By 69-Raider-10
      Happy Easter fellow Horse Junkies! I am not happy with my Raider 10 after I swapped out the Lauson for a K181. Its not so much the difference in power between the 10hp and the 8hp, its the fact that my other 2 tractors are a Bronco 14 and a 416 8 Onan. I hop on the Raider and even though its the most mechanically sound and aesthetically pleasing tractor, it has the least cajones. I have a low hour 14hp Magnum sitting around that I was saving as a backup but I think I want to drop it in the Raider. Anyone make this type of swap before? Anything that makes it not doable or ill advisable? As always I appreciate the input and your time in answering. Happy Easter!
    • classiccat
      By classiccat
      New member ...and another old-Iron guy here...with my 1st Wheel Horse tractor.

I was looking for something mainly for pulling an old aluminum boat (18' starcraft) around the property.

Capability to mow and haul yard waste would be a bonus.

2 weeks ago, a C85 showed-up on CL for a song. 

He couldn't start it for me and it didn't take me long to figure out why...

This will be a running thread / rolling-restoration as I bring her back to her original, Black-Hood glory!

(DISCLAIMER: I'm an engine-wrencher ...I have the tendency to leave my foot off of the project's gas when the engine starts drinking it!)