oliver2-44

New to Getting a Predator Running

oliver2-44

So A year ago I picked up a tractor with this Predator on it.
8B57D1AE-2B1C-45A2-96B8-5D069594D705.jpeg.86d3d0005b1dd0b2f858b75ab95ec063.jpegGuy had bought it and a pile of stuff at an auction. I saw it run and it had old gas and acted like it needed a carb cleaning. I dumped the old gas and it has sat for a year. My son recently called me and said bright had a Troybilt pony rear time tiller with a wire out Briggs. So I picked up the tiller, pulled the head and bore was wore and scarred up. Lack of oil/air filter changes I’m sure.  
This is my first Predator to work on.  So this afternoon I cleaned the tank

which wasn’t bad. 

252D4032-0841-427F-9EA1-739CA234F056.jpeg.0aacb2cc31464bc642f9cd9d7fc3924e.jpeg
Then I pulled the carb bowl and it was ethanol gritty. I pulled the float,needle and fuel inlet hose. Flushed from tank to carb, then carb inlet through seat and through center jet with carb cleaner several times and got it all flowing.

4F4CBB16-B617-46B0-8059-DABCCAFFCE7B.jpeg.f52e9be71230d37807ea7dd3f9e4f4ac.jpeg
Questions:

1. I don’t see how to pull any jet needles to pull out to clean and flush through- am I missing something or are they fixed?

2 Anything else I should look for to clean this thing out 

3 In the photo below you see where it looks like someone added a length of spark plug lead to the existing lead boot  Am I seeing that right  Do I just need to untape that jury rigged connection and see what up with the existing plug boot?3FE28969-6923-45B5-9A0E-CB02BF7F1463.jpeg.e278223c36aeb02be0a8ced7d3b0b403.jpeg

4 Any other guidance to get this thing running is greatly appreciated

5 Is there a model number stamped somewhere or is the remains of the decal what I have to go by.  
7 Any quests what size- HP this is. It has rope and electric start. 
AF88DA7B-6C46-4784-95F3-DCEBBEA8CE87.jpeg.e1d308267d797ec31b27e71a0e5caf70.jpeg48E1452F-F574-46F2-8601-FFA1994D21A9.jpeg.93284d50900b3bc378c2cb3aa33aa5b5.jpeg

10E90374-2B17-4BBD-BC94-2DAB147F6CF7.jpeg

Edited by oliver2-44

Pullstart

Nice 13 hp (420 cc) engine you got there :handgestures-thumbupright:  I’m not sure if it is serviceable down to the jets, or if you could get by running brake clean through every passage you can’t get open?

Pullstart

There’s a chance, that one’s the hemi option.  I think the valve cover gives it away.

Howie

I think there is a jet in that center post that unscrews. Idle a black plastic insert under the

idle speed screw.

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Howie said:

jet in that center post that unscrews

Probably... but make absolutely sure that you've got the right size driver!  Too big and you'll bugger up the threads, too small and you'll bugger up the jet.

There's probably a 'special tool' made for that purpose that fits exactly in the slot.

• Like 2

Snoopy11

Nice 420.

So... here we go. @Howie is on the money. There is a jet in there. However, if you spray carb cleaner down in that hole, and it goes through, then it isn't clogged.

It is possible that you could have other carb errors though.

Might want to replace it altogether. I have a spare 420 carb laying around in the shop... brand new take-off from one of mine.

It is yours for price of shipping. :)

Now to the coil.

So... what you can do here, (follow very closely). The spark plug wire actually unscrews counter-clockwise from the spark plug boot. Unscrew the spark plug wire from the boot. Then, go to your coil, unscrew the spark plug wire from the coil.

Go to your local parts store, and buy a foot of spark plug wire. Then... thread everything back together... and BABOOM... :banana-dance:

I have other advice... but I will keep it to myself for the present.

Don

Howie

I modify a screw driver to fit in the opening so I don't damage the threads in there.

Also so it fits the slot well. Cheap I guess when it comes to paying for a special

tool!

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
10 minutes ago, Howie said:

I modify a screw driver to fit in the opening so I don't damage the threads in there.

Also so it fits the slot well. Cheap I guess when it comes to paying for a special

tool!

A 'cabinet tip' works well.

Cabinet tip is a straight shaft with no flare out as one typically finds with a straight blade driver.

The tip should also be ground or filed flat instead of tapered and nice and sharp to fill as much of the slot as possible.

oliver2-44

I sprayed all the holes several times every direction today and put it back together. @Snoopy11 Ill take a rain check on that carb and see if this will run. I won’t get to work more on this till late next week, so I’ll update how my run stenosis are them. Thanks for the info everyone. 

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
14 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

I sprayed all the holes several times every direction today and put it back together. @Snoopy11 Ill take a rain check on that carb and see if this will run. I won’t get to work more on this till late next week, so I’ll update how my run stenosis are them. Thanks for the info everyone. 

Just PM me if you end up needing it @oliver2-44 :banana-dance:

Don

oliver2-44

I’ve had the carb off twice to spray through every passage I could find. It now runs enough to see the engine is OK. But no idle and needs 1/3 choke to run full speed and surges bad. While I had it running I sprayed carb cleaner through the intake servile times but it really didn’t help. @Snoopy11 I sent you a PM. Here a short video. Sort I didn’t have enough hands to hold camera and keep it running. 

The electric key start doesn’t work, but electric starter works when you hit it directly with jumper cable. I I I ll try to trace it out,  but if anyone has a wiring diagram, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Snoopy11
12 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

The electric key start doesn’t work, but electric starter works when you hit it directly with jumper cable. I I I ll try to trace it out,  but if anyone has a wiring diagram, I would greatly appreciate it.

It's probably the starter solenoid. I would just pick up a universal one from somewhere like Lowes/tractor supply.

Don

Snoopy11

Definitely sounds like the carb is messed-up.

I PM'd you back... I still have it, and will be getting you some info as soon as possible.

I also recommend using a fuel filter with this engine... it will prevent issues like this from happening in the future. If I have a spare, I will include it with the carb. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Don

Snoopy11

Here is what you will be receiving from me.

All necessary gaskets, fuel filter, fuel line, Predator 420 carburetor, and choke lever. New-take-off... never used. (I think you can tell that from the pictures). 

100_1464.JPG.64a6a78218a266c190cf6a2ad56ce8d9.JPG

100_1465.JPG.afbad008e6e58726478204924f7d3571.JPG

Don

oliver2-44

@Snoopy11 Thanks for the Predator  Carburetor, it arrived yesterday. 

Now i just need to get my back square away so I can get back to the shop.  

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
On 2/1/2022 at 7:59 AM, oliver2-44 said:

@Snoopy11 Thanks for the Predator  Carburetor, it arrived yesterday. 

Now i just need to get my back square away so I can get back to the shop.  

No problem buddy!

Get well soon!

I'll be on the lookout for this engine to get running!

:popcorn:

Don