WHGuy413

Tecumseh h60 help

WHGuy413

Alex, Aiden and I spent most of the day in the garage avoiding their sister who tested positive for Covid this morning. The Tecumseh H60 in the 604 project of Alex’s is giving us trouble. We have great spark and a clean carb but it will only give us a quick pop occasionally with a quick back fire from the carb It did run once for about 3 seconds. Looking for some input on what it could be. I’m wondering if the timing is off. I’ve been looking in how to set the timing but Im more confused than I was when I started this morning. 

Edited by WHGuy413

WHNJ701

Stuck valve, pull the head and check

• Like 2

WHGuy413
1 minute ago, jabelman said:

Stuck valve, pull the head and check

Both valves move up and down freely and are seating good

• Like 1

Gregor

I fought the timing on a Tecky for several days. Pulling my hair out. In the end, the problem was a bad set of points. Brand new points. I would have good spark at low RPM, but nothing, or intermittent at high RPM. I don't think the spring on the points was strong enough to close them quick enough. Replaced the points, all was good.

WHGuy413
4 minutes ago, Gregor said:

I fought the timing on a Tecky for several days. Pulling my hair out. In the end, the problem was a bad set of points. Brand new points. I would have good spark at low RPM, but nothing, or intermittent at high RPM. I don't think the spring on the points was strong enough to close them quick enough. Replaced the points, all was good.

I hope that’s not the case I bought nos tecky points. 

Gregor

Compression check?

WHNJ701

Plug gap?

WHGuy413
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@Handy Don and @Gregor may be able to chime in and help. 

https://youtu.be/5XqMo3gUWJo

Thanks for the videos the second one was a real help. Back out to the garage tomorrow to see if I can figure it out.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

Thanks for the videos the second one was a real help. Back out to the garage tomorrow to see if I can figure it out.

Very good. 

You'll get it. 

Don't forget... The head gasket and head BOLTS are meant to be limited use. 

ri702bill
9 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

I hope that’s not the case I bought nos tecky points. 

Did you clean the contacts before you installed them?? Sometimes there is a rust preventative that is a thin film, but will not let the points function until it is removed. A crisp NEW dollar bill dragged between the closed points works great. Did you check to see if you are getting a good spark at the plug??

Bill

• Like 2

WHGuy413
2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Did you clean the contacts before you installed them?? Sometimes there is a rust preventative that is a thin film, but will not let the points function until it is removed. A crisp NEW dollar bill dragged between the closed points works great. Did you check to see if you are getting a good spark at the plug??

Bill

We have great spark that is bright blue and we can hear it snapping.

• Like 1

Gregor

How are you rotating the motor?  Starter?  How did you set your initial timing? Dial indicator?

Handy Don

Don't have much to add to the above good suggestions except...

You probably have clean points because you have good spark and even if the points are not set perfectly, it would either run poorly or give you some indication it was trying to run.

You say you have compression and under the head is ok. Was the plug wet? Blackened? Gap is set ok?

That leaves fuel as the likeliest issue. You had some once with the 3-second spurt and the pop.

Most Tecumseh carbs have a bowl drain.  If you press that upward a bit and hold it does fuel come out steadily for 8-10 long seconds? (Have a container ready to catch the fuel. Check for water in that fuel. If it's good, reuse what comes out filtered through a couple layers of clean lint-free cloth back into the tank! If there's water, you'll have drain the fuel system and tank completely then refill with clean fuel -- filtering the watered fuel through several layers of cloth will trap small amounts of water.) If yes, there is fuel at the carb and the problem is deeper. If not, then you aren't getting (enough) fuel in the carb.  The float valve may be stuck or clogged and if that's ok, you have to look upstream at valves, filters, and lines, etc.

If the bowl is getting fuel, then after trying to start it with full choke and open throttle are you smelling fuel through the carb?  Techumseh's need choke to start, but are pretty easy to flood. To clear it, choke off, throttle open, crank for 15 seconds or else 5 or 6 recoil pulls.

If you aren't smelling fuel, then the last quick step is to try to "force" the carb to pull fuel, I use the same method as @Pullstart by putting my hand over the carb inlet (air filter removed) and cranking the engine over a few turns. This is easier with a helper on a recoil start engine! At this point, you should definitely smell fuel at the carb and and at the exhaust. Retry starting with ¾ - Full choke and full-open throttle. If still not smelling fuel, your carb is letting you down. Tecumseh carbs can be challenging to really clean. I'd suggest instead buying a cheap replacement from the jungle site (< $20) and swapping it onto your engine (do NOT make any adjustments to it--they come preset). If your engine now starts and runs (perhaps not well) you know you have a carb problem and we can go from there.

Let us know how you do.

Edited by Handy Don

Pullstart

You can always give it some juice and see if it roars to life.  Is the plug wet?  One of my best running Teckys… has a worn out old Kohler carb on it.

WHGuy413

So I reset the timing yesterday and lost spark completely. Went from having great spark to nothing instantly. Fiddled with it most the day trying to get it back took it all apart a couple times. Cleaned and re cleaned the points. I got very weak spark back at one point and lost it again. Today was to cold out there and tomorrow I’m taking the boys fishing. We will be back at it maybe Monday while it snows.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, WHGuy413 said:

I reset the timing yesterday and lost spark completely. Went from having great spark to nothing instantly

If you have multiple sets of points, try them. New or old.  

How are you going about doing the checks?

One of the videos I've seen or sent to you uses a bench top tester of sorts built with a bit of wire, a dial indicator, and a test light to verify correct position of the spark. Verifying correct position also obviously verifies... Spark. 

Dial indicator can be substituted for a proper feeler gauge. 

Gregor

Someone once mentioned setting the timing on a Tecky with a dime. I don't remember who that was, but maybe they will chime in, and explain the procedure.

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Someone once mentioned setting the timing on a Tecky with a dime. I don't remember who that was, but maybe they will chime in, and explain the procedure.

@RED-Z06 ?

Gregor

:confusion-shrug: 

Gregor

From @RED-Z06 in another post

Although intended for timing, loosening the ignition bolts can give a very slight amount of in and out movement.  The trick is timing.  I take the head off, flywheel off, put a dime on the piston, run it down the hole, remove head gasket and put the head back on..run the piston back up (in the operating direction) until it stops.  Then put a continuity tester on both sides of the points and rotate the base until the points (prior already gapped at .020") just open..then tap the base back just until they close...and snug the bolts.

Remove dime...assemble.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

@WHGuy413 there ya go Man

WHGuy413

Still struggling with this one and actually pulled a complete h60 I had stashed away in the shed as a spare engine for my 603 and wouldn’t you know it? No spark on that one either. 

ebinmaine

Have you watched those videos about 38 times?

:lol:

I know it took me a minute to get what some parts were about...

It would be best to bench test each piece individually if possible.  

On your spare, did you try cleaning the points and recheck?