RED-Z06

Deere 317 r.i.p.

RED-Z06

Was given one this morning...had high hopes but the KT was stuck...pulled a head and

20220112_131547.jpg

• Sad 5

ri702bill

Yup - intake valve is open, cylinder (and probably the pan) is full of water - flood tractor???

ebinmaine

Nothing a little old school Liquid Wrench wouldn't fix...

... With help from a sledgehammer maybe. 

• Haha 2

RED-Z06
16 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Yup - intake valve is open, cylinder (and probably the pan) is full of water - flood tractor???

Nothing in the pan but oil, both cylinders are like this, i loosened the head bolts and water ran out.  Its a goner, whole tractor was rough...i stripped a few parts off, wheels/tires, knobs, hood, carb/intake/filter and probably pull the rear fender off before she takes that last ride

Snoopy11
38 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

Was given one this morning

Red, I'd use the following:

4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

sledgehammer

'nuff said. :laughing-rolling:

Don

pfrederi

My brother has had JD 317 for many years and he got it used.  Back in the 90s he replaced the KT-17 with a new one as the original was over two thousand hours and leaked like a sieve.  Family trait of never throwing anything away he put in the loft of his barn.  About 2006 I picked up a C-175 that had a ventilated crankcase.... Got the stored motor put in some new seals, swapped sheetmetal and intake/exhaust manifolds and she is now on sweeper duty.  Smokes a bit on start up but it clears pretty fast and she goes to work.  Meanwhile he is still using the 317.. it is a beast....

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

• Like 6

Maxwell-8

That will buff out.

• Haha 4

RED-Z06

Scrap man coming Sunday to get her.  Love to keep the hydro but not sure how we would load the tractor on his trailer 

oliver2-44
50 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

Scrap man coming Sunday to get her.  Love to keep the hydro but not sure how we would load the tractor on his trailer 

Keep the Hydro and put the rear end on a hand truck to get it to his trailer, or just let the scrap man earn his free scrap metal.

• Like 3

Pullstart

I filled a stuck 24hp Kohler in every hole I could with used oil and let it sit for a year.  Pulled the plugs, rocked the flywheel back and forth gently until it would roll over, and it actually fired up after all that!

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
13 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Keep the Hydro and put the rear end on a hand truck to get it to his trailer, or just let the scrap man earn his free scrap metal.

:text-yeahthat:

Can you make preparations to quickly separate the transmission while on the truck/trailer?

RED-Z06
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

:text-yeahthat:

Can you make preparations to quickly separate the transmission while on the truck/trailer?

We were planning to use a jack to get the wheels and tires off the front and rear after pushing it up with a Z mower.  The trans has the hydraulic lines, brake connections, the hard mounts, drive shaft..it would be a bit of a task to get it loose

• Like 1

RED-Z06
30 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I filled a stuck 24hp Kohler in every hole I could with used oil and let it sit for a year.  Pulled the plugs, rocked the flywheel back and forth gently until it would roll over, and it actually fired up after all that!

This one rolls about 1/4 turn...but its a series1, would need to be bored and go oversized, valves are seized, carb is waterlogged, starter seized...the 1/2 turn steering play says its got well over 1500 hours on it.

• Like 1

pfrederi
10 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

This one rolls about 1/4 turn...but its a series1, would need to be bored and go oversized, valves are seized, carb is waterlogged, starter seized...the 1/2 turn steering play says its got well over 1500 hours on it.

Agree!!! a series 1 in that shape is  a boat anchor not worth thinking about.....