Copper116

Tractor isn't moving...

Copper116

MId 70's C-160 Wheelhorse    Manual 8 speed. 

Last season, it started... to get the tractor moving with any power... it required me to put my left foot under/beyond the clutch pedal and pull it back toward the rear to get the tractor to move (in gear).  I assumed the belt was worn/stretched (82").   It was the proper size belt and not that old but I replaced it with a belt 1" shorter, thinking that may be the problem.  Well, now the tractor will move in gear but I have to force the shifter into gear to get it to move... indicating to me that the new belt is too short, and not disengaging the clutch enough. 

The adjustable lever on the clutch linkage that leads to the transmission appears to be at it maximum angle and at full spring loaded engagement angle.  I'm at a loss at this point.  The required belt is too long (sloppy on the pulleys)... the new belt (1" shorter) feels right and looks right but it will not allow the transmission to be shifted unless you force it a bit.

I am at a loss and can not think of anything else to try.  It runs fine but I just can't get it to move... like I stated; the old belt seems too loose, the new belt too tight.  The clutch lever on the transmission is fully retracted so there is no more adjustment there.  

I could use some advice before I give in and bring it to the repair shop. $$$    Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Check for a sheared roll pin that connects the clutch lever to the crossover shaft.       Scratch a mark across the lever and the end of the shaft, then work the clutch and note if the shaft is moving inside the lever.

• Like 4

squonk

Your belt should be a #7473 5L820W which is a 5/8" wide belt. You didn't get a 1/2" X 82" belt did you? 

• Like 4

Lee1977

I would suggest a new clutch spring hooks into the clutch shaft and attaches to the rear axle on the left side. I have changed them with quite a few less years than your tractor has.

If the spring is weak it will not have enough tension on the belt. May need a new 5/8"  x 82" belt as the sides may be worn if it has been slipping.

The original clutch spring #1014 is available from "Wheel Horse Parts and More". Good people to deal with. 

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 3

AHS
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Check for a sheared roll pin that connects the clutch lever to the crossover shaft.       Scratch a mark across the lever and the end of the shaft, then work the clutch and note if the shaft is moving inside the lever.

Bingo! That happened to my 2000 312-8! At first thought, it might be the tranny… nope! It was a 50 cent roll pin! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

Maxwell-8

A bad fix on my C141D ( not done by me)

DSC_0655.JPG.9a160caabdbb56dc042e234b1ae74361.JPG

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

peter lena

@Maxwell-8   sure looks like a roll pin to me , never seize it in , use a flat faced punch , easy , pete

rmaynard

You mentioned that when you put the new belt on, it worked but you had to force it into gear. Did you have the belt cover on? That has to be on to stop the belt so you can change or even put it in gear. Just a thought.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3

953 nut

If the right side running board is pushed in too far it can bind up on the clutch arm preventing it from moving all the way.

Pullstart

If you decide it’s too much… Allendale isn’t too far from Middleville :handgestures-thumbupright:  I’m sure I’d have what’s needed to get it back functioning, I just parted out a C-101 that ran and drove just fine.

Achto
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

I just parted out a C-101 that ran and drove just fine.

:confusion-confused:And you did this for what reason?:doh:

Sorry, couldn't make pieces out of a driver unless I was doing a resto. Just me.:)

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

rjg854
11 hours ago, Achto said:

Sorry, couldn't make pieces out of a driver unless I was doing a resto. 

Must be Dan, he's got so many, that a running, driving tractor isn't worth much :eusa-doh:

• Haha 2

Pullstart
11 hours ago, Achto said:

:confusion-confused:And you did this for what reason?:doh:

Sorry, couldn't make pieces out of a driver unless I was doing a resto. Just me.:)

There was plenty about it that was beat and in need, but what I was implying was that I should have the parts needed to fix him up :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Pullstart
10 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Must be Dan, he's got so many, that a running, driving tractor isn't worth much :eusa-doh:

Nope, I just kind of lead y’all on the wrong way.  It will be better off used for projects and other’s projects the same :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

OK then, I'll let this one pass  :ychain:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
10 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

OK then, I'll let this one pass  :ychain:

• Haha 1

Copper116

I haven't checked the roll pin in the clutch lever but everything appears to be moving properly (I think)... the tensioner pulley/shaft/ lever all move together.  I will check it in the event it is sheared and maybe just wedged on with the broken pin. 

My original belt is 5/8" X 82".  I tried a new (1 inch smaller) 81" Kevlar belt in the same width of 5/8".  It was too tight.  I had to slam the shifter into gear to get it moving.  (not good)  I don't want to damage the transmission.

The clutch spring is intact but it's the original spring, going by it's appearance.  I'll get another spring asap just in case. 

The belt cover was NOT put back on when I tried driving it and still wouldn't move.  I will try reinstalling that to.  I'll also check the running board to see if that may be preventing full motion of the linkages.  

I appreciate all your help gentleman.... I give your suggestions a try asap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Copper116

Would a kevlar belt make any difference?  That's what I bought in the 81" length... (5/8" W)   I haven't been out to the barn yet... 

Achto
22 minutes ago, Copper116 said:

That's what I bought in the 81" length... (5/8" W)   I haven't been out to the barn yet... 

Personally I would take the 5/8x81 belt back and trade it for a new 5/8x82 belt, put every thing back together and you will most likely be back in business. Chances are that your old belt was warn, this would cause the original slipping issue.

• Like 3

squonk

Belts wear on the sides giving them the appearance of being stretched. Get that kevlar 82" and put the guard on. If you still have trouble send us some pictures.

• Like 2

AHS

Do you have it in “hi” or “lo”? Sometimes, I have it in between the two, and the tractor wont move. 

• Like 1

Copper116

It's in the proper gear range... (Hi-Low).   While it's running, (I use 2nd gear mostly)... I'll release the clutch, the tractor moves slightly.  It still will only really moves better (not best) when I pull the clutch pedal back toward me just the inch or so I can force it back.... then it'll move somewhat.   It sure sounds like a belt issue to me but I've tried an 81" and it's too tight.  I put the original (fairly new) 82" older belt back on,  I reinstalled the belt shield, double checked all clearances for anything that might bind on the clutch system.  It all looked good except for the loose belt. It just won't move but at a very slow speed IF/WHEN I pull the clutch pedal back as far as it will go using my foot.  The tensioner pulley/lever is extended at maximum range for belt tightness.  Like I mentioned earlier... the 81" is way to tight, even with the clutch linkage in the relaxed position..  I can't safely engage the transmission.  I don't want the risk of breaking something in the trans.  I'm at a loss..... 

pfrederi

A couple pictures of the belt pulleys guard removed may help diagnosis.  One with clutch engaged one depressed

Ed Kennell
On 1/13/2022 at 10:11 AM, Copper116 said:

I haven't checked the roll pin in the clutch lever

Why not?

• Like 1

Copper116

I did check it and it appears to be intact and rotating together, both shaft an lever.

• Thanks 1