tallen4392

charger 12,slow in reverse

tallen4392

looking for some tips i used my charger 12 auto this morning worked perfect like always after a while pushing snow reverse got very slow forward was fine could not even back up slight incline on my driveway after a while checked fluid was ok any ideas hoping it is nothing serious with winter just starting  Thanks Tom

pfrederi

Download the manual here.  Page 12 is diagnostic.

First step make sure the plastic slider is in place and moves freely when you operate the motion control.  Unfortunately if it is OK the next two steps are more involved.  You will want a warm place to work...

• Like 1

tallen4392

this is my first hydro  where is this plastic slider you talk about and could that make it it  go very slow in reverse when it gets warmed up it sounds like if the problem was with that it would not matter if it was hot or cold i was going to change the hydro filter and fluid to start with can you get those filters at napa i thought i saw one under there 

pfrederi

The slider is under the panel between seat and hoodstand.

In the first post you didn't mention the difference temperature made.  Does it back up OK when it is cold then get worse as it gets hot??  Does forward response change due to temperature??

Are you using ATF or Motor Oil 

Filter is Wix 51410 or Napa 1410

slider1.jpg

• Like 1

tallen4392

it worked fine for the first 45 min or so the more i used it reverse became slower only reverse foward was still pushing heavy snow reverse could not back up incline on my driveway it has atf in  it  that is what it looks like anyway only my second year with this machine

pfrederi

ATF would be cherry red.  if it is use DexMerc ATF

Usually power loss when warmed up indicate worn valve plates but that would affect forward operation as well.  Yours is a hydro gear (assuming it wasn't swapped out at some point) so you need to look at the hydro gear section of the manual starting page 47.  Not sure why the issue is only when hot but two primary candidates would be the reverse acceleration valve or Reverse check valve.   Take a look at doing the hydro gear tune up if fluid change doesn't help p49.

• Excellent 1

tallen4392

Thanks i will try the fluid and filter change first and see what happens..

Elkskin's mower junkyard
On 1/7/2022 at 4:09 PM, tallen4392 said:

Thanks i will try the fluid and filter change first and see what happens..

Some Lucas hydrolic boost and stop leak may also help out. 

tallen4392

that stuff is ok to add  what exactly is the stop leak called for it ?

tallen4392

lucas hydro oil booster and stop leak i don’t know about mixing with atf  ???? any thoughts on that i just don’t want to make it worse 

Elkskin's mower junkyard
6 minutes ago, tallen4392 said:

that stuff is ok to add  what exactly is the stop leak called for it ?

that is what its called. 

it works good. 

https://lucasoil.com/products/hydraulics/lucas-hydraulic-oil-booster-stop-leak

Taryl from Taryl fixes all uses it alot in hydro transmissions that are old like on a wheel horse. it wont hurt anything

Edited by Elkskin's mower junkyard

tallen4392

ok to mix with atf then i will add some thanks

Elkskin's mower junkyard

atf is a more concentrated form of hydrolic oil with more additives from what i have been told. a little bit of lucas will reduce your worn transmissions temperature, there is also a lucas for atfs if you prefer that route. really a hydrostat trans is just a hydrolic pump. even https://lucasoil.com/products/problem-solvers-utility/lucas-transmission-fix i personally been using in a 93 chevy that the transmission is extremely worn in and i keep abusing it. but in reality what is happening inside your transmission is one filter is clogged up losing power when its warm. or 2 a valve inside is not working like it should. definitely change filter at least. lucas is thick thats how it can build a little more pressure on worn parts :)

tallen4392

ok to mix with atf then i will add some thanks. was thinking about draining a quart of atf  and adding a quart of this stuff is that to much ??

EB-80/8inPA
10 hours ago, Elkskin's mower junkyard said:

Taryl from Taryl fixes all uses it alot in hydro transmissions that are old like on a wheel horse. it wont hurt anything

I wouldn’t recommend his dentist though.

• Haha 3

tallen4392

anyone else have any opinion on this stuff would greatly appreciate it 

pfrederi

I have 7 sunstrand hydros.  No additives in any of them.  From what I can see here this stuff covers up issues resulting from wear.    If wear was your problem the tractor wouldn't work well going forward either.  Since your problem is only in reverse I don't see how an additive would fix the motion control linkage, or the reverse check valve or reverse acceleration valve...The 3 most likely issues...

tallen4392

is it worth checking the motion control linkage could that cause this problem I am going to get back into it this weekend  the fluid is draining I changed the filter..

tallen4392

Thanks a lot for the info i will check it out tomorrow hope that’s the problem that’s under that cover between hood and seat correct??

tallen4392

Is that a fairly easy thing to change ??

953 nut

Yes, it is in the picture that @pfrederi posted earlier. If it is cracked it won't go full range. It is a bit challenging to replace but can be done with normal tools.

slider1.jpg

tallen4392

Sounds good thanks again

Wheelhorse#1

Here’s a better pic in the machine.I need to replace mine as well as I’m sure it’s worn .

496A901D-8074-411E-95DE-805E386824E8.jpeg

Edited by Wheelhorse#1

tallen4392

mine looks a bit different is it just a matter of removing the one one it and bolt that goes through it and then trying to get the slider out   and install the new one