Greentored

Race prepped opposed twin build thread

kpinnc

I'm reading all these comments on differing RPMs, and I'm wondering if someone can recommend a cheap but decently accurate tachometer. 

I just replaced a throttle lever and cable on my Zero Turn, and I think full throttle might be more than 3600. Kinda want to verify it, but there are dozens of tachs and I don't know which is decent. 

Plus, it would be nice to verify the RPMs on some of my older machines.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
51 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I'm reading all these comments on differing RPMs, and I'm wondering if someone can recommend a cheap but decently accurate tachometer. 

I just replaced a throttle lever and cable on my Zero Turn, and I think full throttle might be more than 3600. Kinda want to verify it, but there are dozens of tachs and I don't know which is decent. 

Plus, it would be nice to verify the RPMs on some of my older machines.

Most any cheap digital tach will get ya "close enough" 

• Like 2

Greentored

Geez, its only been a year haha. How bout an update eh?

She rips!!!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Power plant sounds excellent Scott!

Did you ever get it on a dynamometer so you can see the beginning and end points of your gains?

• Thanks 1

Greentored
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Power plant sounds excellent Scott!

Did you ever get it on a dynamometer so you can see the beginning and end points of your gains?

Nah, nobody around here to do that. 

Multiple folks have butt dyno tested and confirmed its not even on the same planet as a stocker:lol:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
19 hours ago, Greentored said:

Nah, nobody around here to do that. 

Multiple folks have butt dyno tested and confirmed its not even on the same planet as a stocker:lol:

I'm looking at waking up with Kohler single just a little bit. I sent you a PM.

• Thanks 1

Jon Paulsen

Mr. Greentored I love this thread and your youtube videos!

When you made your header, where did you find the oval flanges that bolt to the engine?  

Is there a formula for the length of the head pipes?

I didn't weld for years due to health issues. I didn't do anything fun :lol: I forgot about the high/low switch on my stick welder and blew a big hole in my muffler. Want to make one, but keep the old intact in case I want to repair and use. This is on a single cylinder, and the muffler costs as much as a used engine :o 

Also gots me a twin opposed briggs, but I think is 16 HP, that one needs at least freshened up. Maybe full rebuild... not looked inside. It's been stored for ages. Fun for winter. Looking at a Craftsman tractor to maybe make something fun to play around on. Wheelies? Doughnuts? Burning out? Who knows... :icecream:

Thanks for all you wrote up and shared! TIA for any answers you or others have on this. 

-- jon

• Like 1

Greentored
On 5/29/2023 at 10:59 AM, Jon Paulsen said:

Mr. Greentored I love this thread and your youtube videos!

When you made your header, where did you find the oval flanges that bolt to the engine?  

Is there a formula for the length of the head pipes?

I didn't weld for years due to health issues. I didn't do anything fun :lol: I forgot about the high/low switch on my stick welder and blew a big hole in my muffler. Want to make one, but keep the old intact in case I want to repair and use. This is on a single cylinder, and the muffler costs as much as a used engine :o 

Also gots me a twin opposed briggs, but I think is 16 HP, that one needs at least freshened up. Maybe full rebuild... not looked inside. It's been stored for ages. Fun for winter. Looking at a Craftsman tractor to maybe make something fun to play around on. Wheelies? Doughnuts? Burning out? Who knows... :icecream:

Thanks for all you wrote up and shared! TIA for any answers you or others have on this. 

-- jon

Thanks buddy! Glad someone gets a kick out of the goofy stuff I do haha.  I made my own one piece flanges on the lathe and slid the pipes over them. No tuned lengths, didnt get into all that for a tractor, but did try to make them as long as possible without getting silly. It does have a nice rumble- obnoxious when uncorked, but pretty mellow with the muffler on, which is also home made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jon Paulsen

Thanks for the response, cuz!

I have a similar (404707-0115-01) twin in my shed full of mowers. Got a line on an old craftsman rider with a 16 HP OHV that sounds like when your snorkeling and go a bit too deep. My way of saying she's got a head full of water. I dunno anything about it, except it has a squarish gear box, so probably better than the peerless 915 in my wheelhorsey. I'm thinking that would be a good home for that twin. 

And a green 2 stroke mower follered me home the other day. So I'm busy rebuilding that one for another day or three. Yeeeha! :music-rockon: 

• Excellent 1