Mickwhitt

What you do, in 2022

Mickwhitt

Hi all and a very happy new year to one and all.

I thought it might be time to start a new thread about what you do on a daily basis, whether tractor related or not.

Our NYE was spent with 7 dogs, all ignoring the fireworks and festivities as much as possible to welcome in the new year.

No plans for today but just bimble about. Its really warm here for the time of year which is welcome as we'd usually have snow.

Oh, I made a fixed link for the plow frame so I can put down pressure on the blade if required.  Seems to work OK. 

Mick 

• Like 5

Pullstart

Happy New Year!  Having a large family spread out all over, we still have Christmas plans with my brother’s family and my mom.  The kids have been at a friend’s house for 4 or 5 days, so we’re up and heading out to get them and head to the lake for the day.  We likely won’t be doing lake stuff though!

• Like 2

JPWH

Happy new year to all. I spent NYE in my shop part time and trying to keep my wife from doing things she is not supposed to do for the next 4 weeks like bending or lifting over 5 lbs. She is feeling better evey day and getting restless because of physical restrictions during her recovery.

I will probably do the same today as well. Slow and steady on the 953 as well as her recovery.

Jay

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Happy New Year folks. 

Approximately the same amount of living life to our best form every day is what's in store for us. 

We're in the early stages of constructing a much larger garden area this spring. 

I've started a thread about it. 

We're also inquiring about the possibility of building a garage with apartment. 

The fact that the real estate market is ridiculously busy and expensive has its ups and downs. 

The equity in my home is high so that's a huge plus. 

We'll see if we can build a pole barn on a reasonable budget. 

If so great! If not, no worries. We wait a year or two...

• Like 4

Pullstart
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

garage with apartment. 

For BBT’s Mom, or for income source from someone else?  I’m sure you know, but make sure it’s somebody credible that you trust whole heartedly.  It would be terrible to have to evict someone, only for them to know right where you and your loved ones live, lay of the land, etc.

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

For BBT’s Mom

That. Her. This one. 

Trina and I have a slightly less than zero desire to be landlords to a regular human. 

:ROTF:

It's NO where near the difficulty level here in Maine as it is other places. 

We don't have stupid things like "squatter's rights" but she and I have absolutely no inclination whatsoever to attempt that amount of

🐴 💩

If the BBT Mama isn't there it would be a workshop or dojo.  

• Like 2

EB-80/8inPA
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

We're also inquiring about the possibility of building a garage with apartment. 

The fact that the real estate market is ridiculously busy and expensive has its ups and downs. 

The equity in my home is high so that's a huge plus.

Can lending rates stay this low forever?  It makes sense to put that equity to work.  You’ll find a way to get value from that space, without a doubt, and I’m guessing you have no plans to go anywhere, anyway.  Good luck on your project and HNY, @ebinmaine!

edit: Just saw your plan.  You better triple the size.

Edited by EB-80/8inPA
  • Like 2

EB-80/8inPA
2 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Hi all and a very happy new year to one and all.

Same to you, @Mickwhitt!

• Like 2

SPINJIM

Today, winterizing the fishing boat so that it's ready for springtime.  The Eagles football game will be on in the background (hope springs eternal).  

Later in the day, dinner with family (daughter, grandchildren, great grandchild, new son-in-law, grandson-in-law, and future grand-daughter-in-law).

Plans for the year: enjoy our growing family, and more time fishing.   

A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL,    JIM

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Can lending rates stay this low forever?  It makes sense to put that equity to work.  You’ll find a way to get value from that space, without a doubt, and I’m guessing you have no plans to go anywhere, anyway.  Good luck on your project and HNY, @ebinmaine!

edit: Just saw your plan.  You better triple the size.

My thoughts exactly on the lending rates. 

The size of the building will be based mostly on creating a legal living space on the second floor. 

500 sq ft is minimum so we'll likely go just above that 520. 540. 

The apartment will be either 16 or 18 ft open attic trusses so the building will be around 32 to 40 ft long. 

3 to 4 garage bays with overhang possibilities. 

• Excellent 2

EB-80/8inPA
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

to 4 garage bays

Have you considered some some mini horse stalls along an end wall?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Have you considered some some mini horse stalls along an end wall?

The garage will be on the road side of the house for convenience, utility connections to the house,  and ease of plowing. 

We'll have 4 legged hair covered horses eventually. They'll be out back by the new garden in a separate building near a future clearing.  

4 wheeled paint covered horses will continue to be stored where they are most convenient for usage. IE plow tractors in a bay pointing at the dooryard. 

• Like 1

8ntruck

Mrs 8n and I had a quite NYE.  Just the two of us.  Nobody set off any fireworks here at the lake this year.

@Pullstart no lake stuff?  You mean you didn't pack your ice anger?  The lake here is frozen over - not sure I want to take a walk on it yet, though.

2022 plans call for completing the front porch rebuild on the Missouri house, mentoring the high school robotics team, starting the shop building on our Kentucky property, finishing the cargo trailer refurbish, continuing the C195 upgrades/restoration, install on demand water heaters in the lake houses, remodel the bathroom in one of the lake houses, and I'm sure other projects will come up.

This weekend, I've got to change the oil and filter on the Generac back up generator.  

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Well, it was a noisy start this year.  Lots of M-80's and more going off at midnight all around the neighborhood.  We were already in bed.  Then at 4:00AM, I hear 7 shots out side the house from what sounded like a 45 cal.  then another 3 or 4 shots from what sounded like a 38 cal.  Thought it was road rage going on, and then I heard one car take off.  Pretty scary start for the new year.  Looked for bullet holes this morning...found none.  Might be just shooting in the air.  

No...I did not get up and look out the window.  :confusion-confused:  :notworthy:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

squonk

Went to bed at 9. Woke up at 2 to jiggle the chain. Didn't even acknowledge a new year. Had the day to myself. Started an attic cleaning project.

• Like 2

Digger 66

New years day is when I start counting down the days until 4 wheeler season can get going . Last year our first ride was on March 21st 

JOPaIqI.jpg

4PjpG41.jpg

cgpIS3t.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

8ntruck

The dog walk today included a wrestling match with an unleashed black lab type dog.  We pulled into the parking lot for the trial we usually walk and there was a family approaching.  My dog is on a leash and we start towards the trial.  About then, I notice the unleashed dog along with four adults and a couple of kids, maybe 15 yards away.

I clinched up on the leash, reversed our direction so we were walking away from the group with my car between us.  I hear a commotion, my dog is looking back to see the black lab type dog charging us.  The dogs growl and snap at each other and my dog ends up with a hold of the other dog's harness and a fold of skin underneath at the shoulder.  My dog is not letting go.  After a couple of minutes in a rugby scrum of two dogs and three adults, we finally convince my dog to let go.

Fortunately, there were no injuries.  The black lab's owner was very apologetic about the incident, being very surprised that her dog charged us and did not respond to her call back.  I was just glad that my dog only had a hold of mostly harness.  Could have been much worse.

All in all, the dogs were just being dogs.  The black lab went into protection mode for whatever reason, and my dog went into defence mode.  Could have all been avoided if the other dog were leashed - as per local ordinance.

Lesson learned is I need to take a better look around before letting my dog out of the car - even though he is always on a leash.

After getting home, I changed the oil on the Generac.  Weather was about 19 degrees and sunny.  Yesterday was above freezing and cloudy.  Would have been more comfortable to do it then.....

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

Happy New Year everyone. We had a very uneventful New Years weekend here, stayed home out at the farm and tried to stay warm. Winter finally decided to make an appearance here in Oklahoma yesterday. We have been used to high temps in the 50s and 60s for all of November and December, I was beginning to wonder if we were gonna have a winter this year. Woke up yesterday to an outside temp of 18, and never saw much over 20 all day. Then this morning we woke up to about a 1/4" of snow, temp of 5, and wind chill of -12. Not sure if myself or the old 454 was more reluctant to get started to head to town :lol:

As for the rest of the year, we have a lot of projects planned, starting with doing some maintenance and repairs to the 74 GMC camp rig to make sure it's roadworthy before tractor show season kicks off this spring, first show we attend ever year is the Steam & Gas Engine show in Pawnee OK every May. So we still have some time but at the rate I move we better get busy now.

Also have some Wheel Horse projects I need to get back to, most of you have probably noticed I haven't been active here in the WH sections, only on this board or over in other brands. I still have three Horses, and still love them as much as ever, I just kinda lost interest in working on them after losing the boys a little over a year ago. Those little tractors were something that both boys and I enjoyed tinkering on together. But I'm starting to get the itch to work on them again, would like to finish getting the 753 repainted and put back together in time for the Pawnee show in May, and I did drag the two seater out from in the corner of the shop last week. Used the air blower and blew about half an inch of dust off of it, and took some measurements to see what I need to modify to mount the new Predator 212 on it. So hopefully in the next couple months I'll be posting a lot more in the main section of this forum, and for those of you who follow my YouTube channel, be looking for some Wheel Horse related content there as well. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

rjg854

I'm planning on remodeling my kitchen this Spring, once the weather warms up. Did the bathroom last year. I told the little lady once I retire I'd do these things. We've only lived here 22 years, and my grandfather built the kitchen in the 50's. So it might be about time to freshen things up. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Could have all been avoided if the other dog were leashed - as per local ordinance

Imagine that. 

If people followed rules....

Glad to hear it wasn't serious anyway.  

10 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

Wheel Horse

Glad to hear you're headed back that direction.  

Mickwhitt

As regards the dog story, I make my living dealing with dogs, walking, boarding etc. I don't class myself as an expert or anything.

But its my firm belief that ALL dogs should be on a lead in public places PERIOD!  

The number of people we see with their dogs running free and they have no control over them at all is frightening.  When their dog attacks one of mine on a lead, they get all on the offensive saying I have an aggressive dog if it bites back. 

And we've seen more than one well trained dog run into the road when it sees something it wants to investigate or gets spooked. 

If all dogs had to be on a lead then we'd all know where we stood. 

But then picking up after your dog is a legal requirement here and there are plenty that don't pay heed to that.

I walked six dogs separately this morning without incident, but had three near misses when loose dogs headed for us despite being called back by their owners. 

Mick. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

its my firm belief that ALL dogs should be on a lead in public places PERIOD

Absolutely agreed. 

But as stated much of society can't be bothered to follow the laws anymore.  

We bring our dog on hikes a few times a year. More often on walks through the woods "bushwhacking". 

She's ALWAYS tethered.  

We've been attacked on trail once and had more close calls than I could count. 

It's absolutely staggering to me how many dog owners just shouldn't be. 

• Like 3

Pullstart

My two SILs.. both trusted me today with their little humans… at the same time!  Every kid I’ve watched has survived so far, me too!

D2153D56-1A48-4AA1-9CF1-A9F966921145.jpeg

9CE8D09A-90E6-42FF-81BA-A93134BE3ED9.jpeg

• Haha 5
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

My two SILs.. both trusted me today with their little humans… at the same time!  Every kid I’ve watched has survived so far

Clearly your SILs are not thinking straight. Glad to hear the odds are with you so far!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Clearly your SILs are not thinking straight. Glad to hear the odds are with you so far!

One of these monsters I had just a tiny bit to do with.  Not THAT way dirty mind…

The first baby from the second wedding I performed.  :helmet:  Funny thing, Austin the Husband to be was missing from the whole family picture!  :ROTF:

6622406C-96C2-4027-895B-D9254416D915.jpeg

4CFD987C-984C-4946-AEBC-5DF39A860C39.jpeg

EB84DBD2-D104-4894-8BB0-7CE011F5F5D5.jpeg

• Like 2