Tuneup

Balance Gear Surgery

Wheelhorse#1

I’ll be following this one.I removed the balance gears on a 301, like  a bad tooth it was loose and flopping around in there.

It definitely has more vibration at a certain rpms now.I’d be interested to see if that plate from Kirk engine works.

It’s reasonably priced too.

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175
13 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

I’ll be following this one.I removed the balance gears on a 301, like  a bad tooth it was loose and flopping around in there.

It definitely has more vibration at a certain rpms now.I’d be interested to see if that plate from Kirk engine works.

It’s reasonably priced too.

You're aware that the crank needs to come out and get some machining?

Wheelhorse#1
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

You're aware that the crank needs to come out and get some machining?

Jeff, No Sir Wasn’t  aware of that.

Machining where the plate is installed on the crank ? 
I was thinking this was just a simple installation of hardware on the crank.I should of known 😆

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175
6 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Jeff, No Sir Wasn’t  aware of that.

Machining where the plate is installed on the crank ? 
I was thinking this was just a simple installation of hardware on the crank.I should of known 😆

Yes, the side of the crank needs to be machined flat where the weight goes and two holes drilled and tapped to attach the weight to the crank.

The weight could also be welded to the crank.

• Like 2

Wheelhorse#1
22 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Yes, the side of the crank needs to be machined flat where the weight goes and two holes drilled and tapped to attach the weight to the crank.

The weight could also be welded to the crank.

Thanks for the explanation Jeff.Not too complicated I recon but Beyond my capabilities as I don’t have the equipment.

I guess a fair machinist could tackle it no problem at reasonable cost.

• Like 1

jeepdan

Following this thread closely as well.

I'm currently tearing down a M12 Kohler from my 89 312-8 for an overhaul. 

I think just in time, as I found the counter balance gears  wobbly.

Does the M12 need a balance plate also if I toss the balance gears?

• Like 1

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, jeepdan said:

Following this thread closely as well.

I'm currently tearing down a M12 Kohler from my 89 312-8 for an overhaul. 

I think just in time, as I found the counter balance gears  wobbly.

Does the M12 need a balance plate also if I toss the balance gears?

You do not need  balance plate...which requires more machine shop work , but you may feel more vibration

jeepdan

Thanks for the reply.

For curiosity, I looked up Kirk's instructions on the balance plate. I could do the machining myself at home, no problem there.

Just didn't know whether it was needed or not.

The instructions make no mention of the Magnum series. 

For longevity of my Kohler, I would be willing to do it. 

Edited by jeepdan

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, jeepdan said:

I found the counter balance gears  wobbly.

HI Dan,  did you hear any rattly noises when the engine was running?

If so, can you describe the sound?

Have you measured the end play of the camshaft yet?

I got my gaskets today in the mailbox.  The oil pan gasket was broken!  arghhhhh!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 1

jeepdan
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

HI Dan,  did you hear any rattly noises when the engine was running?

If so, can you describe the sound?

Have you measured the end play of the camshaft yet?

I got my gaskets today in the mailbox.  The oil pan gasket was broken!  arghhhhh!

No, not that I remember.

But it has been over five years since I have ran my horse. It has been in storage ever since I flipped it over while mowing. Beat it up pretty bad, I'm very lucky to not even get scratch out of that scary ordeal.

So, after collecting parts for a few years, I'm ready to start a complete restoration along with a few modifications.

I checked the camshaft endplay with a dial indicator while tearing down the engine. It was .005", so I'm good on that. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
18 hours ago, jeepdan said:

I'm very lucky to not even get scratch out of that scary ordeal.

Wait... what...? You didn't stay on the bucking stallion there cowboy Dan? :scratchead:

:lol:

Don

Snoopy11
19 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

:angry-cussingblack: ... along with some... :bitch:

Don

• Haha 1

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

:angry-cussingblack: ... along with some... :bitch:

Don

I'm confident that Norman will make me whole again!  ;)

• Like 1

Snoopy11
11 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

make me whole again

Ironica... aye? :scratchead:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

jeepdan
11 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Wait... what...? You didn't stay on the bucking stallion there cowboy Dan? :scratchead:

:lol:

Don

I have had a few accidents on my Wheel Horse.

I won't hijack this thread anymore by going into detail. I will save that to post in a restoration thread that I'm going to start.

I will say one thing though, the criteria for the terrain that Wheel Horse specifies in the owners manual, does not compute for most yards in West Virginia.:confusion-seeingstars:

• Like 2

Snoopy11
8 minutes ago, jeepdan said:

the criteria for the terrain that Wheel Horse specifies in the owners manual

Mine is... eh... not only the terrain... steep places at the pond...etc... but that my tractor is heavily modified... so... I know what you mean. I have to be really REALLY careful...

I never use third gear unless I am on the driveway. :thumbs:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, jeepdan said:

terrain

Yepp. Side of a mountain here. 

Well understood. 

We choose our forest pathways carefully.  

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

never use third gear unless I am on the driveway

Our terrain is so filled with roots n rocks we do the same.... With stock machines. 

:auto-swerve:

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Our terrain is so filled with roots n rocks we do the same.... With stock machines. 

I really have to back it down when I am going downhill. The good thing is, the engine is powerful enough to hold the tractor back when I am going downhill... so it feels really solid.

The biggest problem I have is the side-to-side tip... :huh:

I haven't ever felt unsafe... but I won't put my Horse in a bad position if I can help it!

Don

Jeff-C175
54 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Ironica... aye? :scratchead:

Don

John 5:11 !

• Haha 1

jeepdan
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

The biggest problem I have is the side-to-side tip... :huh:

Don

One cheek on the uphill fender, and the other on the seat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11
20 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

John 5:11 !

I did not see that coming!!! :P

Don

Tuneup

Hi all!

Reviving this thread now that I FINALLY got this thing bored and honed.

That phone number from NAPA for a local with a machine shop? Sweet woman answered and said, "Robert who?" Ex-wife? Well, that was a dead end. In this post-Covid Georgia, few shops remain. Either that or we're just a throwaway world. I had to drive out to Braselton for the .020 bore and hone of my K301.

Called Engine Services on BBS Way - booked for the year, sorry. "How about a bare block, old cast iron single?" He paused and said to drop it by. Good guys. Bonus that they're just 500 ft. past Road Atlanta - an old stomping ground (visitor at the AMA races). I miss that Suzuki and the weekend shenanigans. So, 2 trips and a total of 6 hours in the car with a wife that is understanding and insisted on keeping me company and I have a really beautifully bored short block back on the bench. It really is a thing of beauty. I've never had an engine bored and may just use it as a door stop and cast my eyes toward it now and again or . . . install that piston this weekend.

Highly recommended. Oh, he asked what the engine came from (1980 C-125). Told him the bore measured within spec at 40 years of age. He said it's not surprising - that iron is dang hard! $150 well spent.

Who's that lister that lives in Flowery Branch - you lucky sucker!

I'll finally get all these engine parts off of the garage floor and should have this beast high idling by the end of the month.

K301 Bore.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6