Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

8 speed on a 854

Coadster32

Is there an 8-speed tranny that would bolt right up to a 854 without hardly any mods in getting it to work. I have been seeing alot of 310-8s and 312-8s. I didn't know if perhaps an older 8speed tranny would be better for the task, like a B or C-series. If it won't be too bad, I'd be interested in it. Any other insights would greatly be appreciated. I don't really plan on working it, but you never know.

WHC-125

You should make a puller :thumbs2: :thumbs:

bell

It is possible... I've seen one done. I think the early 6/ 8 speeds transmission pulley would be the one to use... It's smaller and uses a 1/2" belt.

I've got a spare 8-speed under the bench, waiting to go in the 633 dually... :thumbs2:

Dave85zxt

I just put an 8 speed in my 856. The transaxle I used was from a c series and it bolted right into the frame. I had to get a different drive pulley to keep the ratio the same. I also had to modify the 4 spd brake band to make it fit. The brake band needed a new hole drilled in it and it need to be bent in a vice slightly. Last, I had to make a custom brake band linkage out of some 3/8" rod. It was all pretty easy an only required a vice, drill and 3/8" die. I am sure glad I did it though. I can't imagine trying to cut some of the tall grass I just tackled without the low range.

Coadster32

Hey Dave, that's exactly the type on install I'm looking for. Thanks for posting this. I know a bunch of members are going to dissapear for the rest of the week, but any others done this?

Kelly

I've never done it but the 1045 I just bought has a early 6 speed in it and has the 1/2" belt pulley that is for the small engine drive pulley, and the brake band was fliped and the rod modified, basicly just like Dave said. oh and a hole near your shifter for the high low.

Coadster32

Pardon the green rookie question, but is there a difference between the 6 speed and the 8 speed tranny, or is it just counting reverse? :thumbs2:

Kelly

Nope basicly the same, just till around 72 I think, they called them 6 speeds

wheel horse 1045

the drivebelt pulley and the shaft its on was smaller on the the 6 speeds if im not mistaken

Coadster32

Would it be correct to say that the 6 speeds have a 1inch axle, and the 8 speeds have the 1.125 axle? Also, is there a physical size difference, and bolt pattern difference? I hate to seem like a pain, but just when I start looking, I want it to be exactly what I'm looking for. I'd hate to get a 310-8, and have to reinvent the wheel. A few mods are expected, but within reason would be preferred.

wheel horse 1045

no the axles are the same size, the workhorse axles with the 8 speeds have the 1 inch axle if im not mistaken .

Kelly

Not just the work horse's have 1" axles many C/B's, and 300 series have 1" axles, and yes the 67 6 speeds used a smaller input shaft and the drive pulley was smaller because the engine that year still had the small drive pulley.

Coadster32

The way the castings look, I should be able to open them up without buying new pullys, brake drum, or hubs. Watch for the shifter to clear, and modify the brake linkage. Should I stay away from the 310/312 lines on this one, and shoot for a C/B, or older 6 speed?

wheel horse 1045

thats what i would do

Coadster32

Thanks for the help to all. Chris.