sjoemie himself

Murray to IH 1568

Oldskool
5 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Thoughts, yes or no?

IMG_20220214_205831_3.jpg

IMG_20220214_205823_7.jpg

Oh yes. YES. Did I already say yes? Yes lol.

That would be kick a$$.

Hydraulic? I hope....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

Yeah. I'm with Mike @Oldskool

Absolutely yes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto

Three point would be an extremely nice touch. :handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

Very cool if you have something you want to attach. Otherwise just eye candy. 

If you go ahead, you're gonna be attaching to sheet metal so think through where the forces will be handled, not just lift but also drag, and lateral stuff on turns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:

Those rear fenders make it look like the IH big brother for sure.  :woohoo:   Love the three point if only for show. I put together a light duty three point a while back and will probably make a box to fit it for flea market find hauling.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

sjoemie himself

Thanks guys! I guess the verdict is pretty clear:mrgreen:

16 hours ago, Oldskool said:

Hydraulic

Hydraulic is the goal. Will be a challenge to mix and match all the components so i'll be needing all the help I can get on that one.

I have gathered a few pumps and hydraulic cilinders already and a nice little tank which was previously used for filling helium balloons which could be turned into an oil tank.

Plan is to drive the pump directly from the engine, and I would like to be able to engage and disengage the pump to prevent overheating.

Also i'm wondering if I would need a oil-cooler and how many hydraulic external connections I should install? :confusion-confused:

• Like 3

sjoemie himself
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:

Those rear fenders make it look like the IH big brother for sure.  :woohoo:  

Thank you! :notworthy: also thanks for posting the link to your topic. Very interesting and useful topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I don't think you would need a oil cooler if it's a dedicated three point or other attachment use. There are none on a wood splitter or FEL. The oil does get warm but not overly hot.  Just use the proper open center spool valve. The clutch wouldn't be absolutely necessary but would help to be able to disengage the HY pump for cold starts. Very cold oil can be like molasses in winter and will bog a motor down till the oil warms up.  All kinda depends on how well the Briggs does. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool
4 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I don't think you would need a oil cooler if it's a dedicated three point or other attachment use. There are none on a wood splitter or FEL. The oil does get warm but not overly hot.  Just use the proper open center spool valve. The clutch wouldn't be absolutely necessary but would help to be able to disengage the HY pump for cold starts. 

X2 what @WHX?? said

If you are installing external ports I would think front and rear quick connects should do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Excellent craftsmanship!  The VW steering box was brilliant and the fab work is top notch!  The scored radius around the dash is great.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

All very good tips. Probably going to skip the oil cooler for now then.

External ports in my mind should be at least one single acting one on the back for a tipping trailer of some sorts. And maybe a double or single one to power a hydraulic motor for implements like a tiller. Ideas are running crazy in my head.. oh well maybe better to get the three point working first and then expand from that.

In other news my dad sent me some pics of the sheetmetal for the hood of the tractor. Since I have no break to bend sheetmetal and my dad works at a company where they do that kind of stuff daily I asked him if he could help me out. 

As soon as I get the part i'll mock it up and post some pictures. Pretty excited to see what it will look like :woohoo:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Handy Don
6 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

External ports in my mind should be at least one single acting one on the back for a tipping trailer of some sorts. And maybe a double or single one to power a hydraulic motor for implements like a tiller.

Assuming you have the pump capacity (volume and pressure) to drive hydro motor implements, be sure to pay attention to the tubing/hose sizing over the distances it takes to plumb it all. You'll probably need M14 or M16 to carry the needed flow.

• Like 4

sjoemie himself

Since the previous post i've been tinkering away.. I think the three point is a go!

IMG_20220218_105326_6~2.jpg

IMG_20220218_105245_1.jpg

IMG_20220221_210252_3.jpg

IMG_20220221_210304_2.jpg

IMG_20220222_204627_0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine

What kind of weight capacity are you looking for?

Will the stamped steel frame hold that amount or are you adding reinforcement?

• Like 2

Oldskool

That's looking real good. I like it.

• Like 2

Oldskool
46 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What kind of weight capacity are you looking for?

Will the stamped steel frame hold that amount or are you adding reinforcement?

I bet you would be surprised

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I bet you would be surprised

Quite strong, that?

• Like 2

sjoemie himself
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

weight capacity

Good question.. i'm not really sure. Probably going to end up overbuilding everything and never lifting more than 200lbs :confusion-shrug:

About the frame. I'm going to strengthen it as much as possible, or well, at least until i'm satisfied. I think i'll double up the thickness of the frame where the 'l-brackets' mount to prevent tearing. I'll also connect the two l-brackets with a brace to prevent side to side flexing. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Oldskool
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Quite strong, that?

I'm sure it could lift the frontend without any issue

• Like 3

sjoemie himself
1 hour ago, Oldskool said:

lift the frontend

Have you not seen my grille and frontweights?? :confusion-confused::P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

JPWH

Looking good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

Not gonna be much "Murray" left by the time you're finished. You sure do nice work!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oldskool
51 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Have you not seen my grille and frontweights?? :confusion-confused::P

I have.

I'm just saying I bet the frame will hold up to the point of the front lifting up from 3pt use in extreme circumstances.

Or do you think it will fold?

• Like 2

sjoemie himself
8 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Not much "Murray" left

Thanks! No not really.. if I ever attempt something like this again i'll probably just use the components I need, transmission and engine, and build the rest from scrap. That being said, this whole project kinda snowballed a little bit :blink:

7 hours ago, Oldskool said:

do you think it will fold?

I certainly hope not! Like I said most of the time I tend to overbuild things so I'm guessing it will be allright. 

Wouldn't wanna find out by trail and error though :hide: so i'll just add a little more bracing 😁

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

JPWH

I tend to overbuild as well but the added weight helps for ground engaging implements. Win win.

Jay

• Like 3
  • Haha 1