ebinmaine

Garden construction info wanted

ebinmaine

Well folks, I'm impressed!!

The excavator machine showed up this morning!!

Timing is excellent because I have the day off. 

The operator and I spoke afew times today. Worked out perfect. 

Here's a few pics and videos of the process throughout the day:

IMG_20220103_073718594.jpg

IMG_20220103_080511333_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220103_101450573_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220103_103911414_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220103_104758732_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220103_132859484_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220103_133234789_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220103_140149184_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220103_140153478_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220103_153012527_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220103_155233058_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Oldskool

You just gotta love it when the big guns show up and BAMM, it's done.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Handy Don

Definitely brought the right tool for the job!

• Like 3

ebinmaine
Just now, Handy Don said:

Definitely brought the right tool for the job!

Yeah they sure did.

The company has four sizes of excavators. This is next to largest.

We were going to go with the smaller one so the woods path wouldn't need to be so big but that'll just end up being a bonus later.

Once things dry up, if I'm really careful I might be able to drive the pickup truck down there...

The machine used today gets  a LOT of time and usage because of having the thumb and a good heavy capability without quite being too cumbersome.

The operator seems to think the weight is somewhere around 35,000, 40,000 lb.

There was one rock that was too big to move and there was one rock that was able to be picked up but not fully extended. That one is in the base of the pond now.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Nice job!

:bow-blue:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Here's the pond water level after 24 hours. 

I'd estimate about 2 ft deep.  

IMG_20220104_163244.jpg

IMG_20220104_162712.jpg

• Like 3

Handy Don

Very nice. A simple solar-powered pump and tag-sale hoses may give you a way to water your crops. :)

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

solar-powered pump

Have to check into that...:handgestures-thumbupright:

ebinmaine

Not flowing out the other side yet. All but the top row is underwater. 

IMG_20220105_155123.jpg.ac884d1f421b08e192ba13d5f77fcae3.jpg

IMG_20220105_155115.jpg

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
17 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Very nice. A simple solar-powered pump and tag-sale hoses may give you a way to water your crops. :)

Or, a :wh: hooked up to a stationary pump… off the pto… 

Kinda like this only belt drive off engine pto…

image.jpeg.b72b61d6ac76ca702b2f271829dabdb3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

Was thinking solar to leave in place (except to re-direct the flow) and to eliminate need for fuel.

I'd set it up similar to a rain barrel. Put a barrel on a base near the water source and make the pump's job simply to fill the barrel so it can have a low head (5' or so?) and be low wattage (30 watts?). Pump can run whenever there is sufficient water in the pond, there is sun, and the tank is not full (pond and tank levels via simple float switches).

Distribution is by gravity through garden hoses attached to tap(s) into the bottom of the tank arranged to flow "downhill" from the the tank in all directions--move hoses (or use valves) to where watering is needed and allow slow soak along "irrigation" trench. No need for high pressure pump for tank fill or for distribution.

The cost is pretty directly related to the the "lift height" (pump head) needed so it'll pay to have a good survey of the land heights and layout the garden/hoses accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

cost is pretty directly related to the the "lift height" (pump head) needed

How does one search for this pump?

SylvanLakeWH

I would think “Solar Garden pond pumps…”

• Like 1

Handy Don

I started with Ms giggle and then followed my mouse in different directions. 

Once you know lift needed (and maybe an idea of volume in gallons per hour) you start looking for pumps. (Watch out, the markets are flooded with cheapie "fountain" pumps that do nothing but put a small geyser in your pond or birdbath!) I'm guessing you'd need no more than hundred or so gallons per hour and likely less.

Pumps are often 12, 24, 36 and 120v. Panels generate similar voltages so you choose panels to go with the pump. It's best to have a simple controller between the panels and pump--it prevents the pump trying to run when available power is too low or too high. Some controllers come with battery backup and special regulators--these are intended for rural emergency backup for domestic water supply during power outages--you don't need a battery or fancy regulator.

I first ran into this idea in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN8_MIauQZk

This setup is on the larger end but is a good introduction to the process.

Hey @JCM, care to join this conversation? :)

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Oh boy!!!

My local Photography Department took this picture standing inside the fence. The stream on the left hand side is the outlet and it's now running!!! 

IMG_20220106_175103.jpg.1d93ac7ea12b12e4b01cd28ab40ea4c8.jpg

We're going to need to find a specific direction for that runoff to continue past the Z bend that the excavator operator installed, come spring, and put a small bridge over it..

I've been wanting to put a pond out there for a good strong 15 years. I might be slightly excited.

• Like 5

Handy Don

Little kids and water are and irresistible attraction to each other. Sounds like fun to me!

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

Little kids and water are and irresistible attraction to each other. Sounds like fun to me!

Well that pretty much perfectly describes me an BBT. 

Head on up Don!

• Haha 1

Handy Don
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Well that pretty much perfectly describes me an BBT. 

Head on up Don!

I know. Part of your appeal. You're on my list next time I get up that way. I'll bring my pail of "beach construction" toys to share.

BTW, my tent came back last week and its got fancy new reflective guy ropes and zipper pulls on it! Whoo hoo!

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I know. Part of your appeal. You're on my list next time I get up that way. I'll bring my pail of "beach construction" toys to share.

BTW, my tent came back last week and its got fancy new reflective guy ropes and zipper pulls on it! Whoo hoo!

Beach toys??!!??

Oh YYEESS.  

So now you can see the tent when roaming around in the dark!

6wheeler

Looking real good. A neat trick for your pond? Put some water plants like Water Hyacinths in it .  Then you can put a few goldfish in it. They will eat the mosquito larvae. Plus? They will keep the plant roots trimmed. You can even set a Lilly Pad plant in there for effect. We had a small fountain in our small pond too. You can use water from the pond on the garden. It will have nutrients from the fish excrement and plant matter. A good product of fish waste is Nitrogen. And? To passively deter deer and other critters? I use stakes app. 48" tall with 2' strips of 2" wide mylar tape with a holographic design. Any kind of light shining on it in the evening and night makes it flash a lot. My yard light does the trick. Good Luck..  Pat

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 6wheeler said:

Looking real good. A neat trick for your pond? Put some water plants like Water Hyacinths in it .  Then you can put a few goldfish in it. They will eat the mosquito larvae. Plus? They will keep the plant roots trimmed. You can even set a Lilly Pad plant in there for effect. We had a small fountain in our small pond too. You can use water from the pond on the garden. It will have nutrients from the fish excrement and plant matter. A good product of fish waste is Nitrogen. And? To passively deter deer and other critters? I use stakes app. 48" tall with 2' strips of 2" wide mylar tape with a holographic design. Any kind of light shining on it in the evening and night makes it flash a lot. My yard light does the trick. Good Luck..  Pat

I appreciate the advice Pat and please keep it up. 

We've done some research about having fish because I really want to add some. 

The primary focus of the small pond is to raise frogs and toads. 

Turns out the fish eat polliwogs and tadpoles so unfortunately there'll be no fish... For now.  

Excellent idea on the Mylar/stakes. Trina appreciates that.  

We've considered the fountain idea as well. May use that to keep the water open during cold season.  

Trina's been planning on using the water all along (I didn't even know that). 

The pump for the fountain may be combined with the water pump. 

6wheeler
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I appreciate the advice Pat and please keep it up. 

We've done some research about having fish because I really want to add some. 

The primary focus of the small pond is to raise frogs and toads. 

Turns out the fish eat polliwogs and tadpoles so unfortunately there'll be no fish... For now.  

Excellent idea on the Mylar/stakes. Trina appreciates that.  

We've considered the fountain idea as well. May use that to keep the water open during cold season.  

Trina's been planning on using the water all along (I didn't even know that). 

The pump for the fountain may be combined with the water pump. 

That is why I recommend regular Goldfish. The will survive quite well. And? Are too small for the tadpoles. When they are small. You DO NOT feed them. Only the roots and larvae are all they can eat. There is not going to be enough prey for them to grow large in your small area. But? You have to be ready to replace them every year. Our only problem with the fish was? Restocking after the Raccoons would get them. Because? Even in Maine? I would bet. Late in the Fall? Your pond will be raided. But? Here? It was always late in the summer when the last ones would disappear. But? Since our pond isn't a winter pond? We have to bring the plants inside over winter. They will not survive at -20 to-35 below zero here in the frozen wasteland. And? the fish wouldn't either. Great thinking on your wife's part. You will be surprised what it will do. Fish poo and plant matter decay fast in a vernal pond. Good luck with that new adventure.

• Thanks 1

JCM
On 1/22/2022 at 6:16 PM, ebinmaine said:

The primary focus of the small pond is to raise frogs and toads

You want toads, stop by this Spring, you can have as many as you can catch. I know one thing, when they hear the 48'' SD deck coming they run like they are in the Boston marathon.

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

@JCM

So maybe Joan Benoit could help us catch em. ....?

Need us some tree frogs too.  Peepers. 

• Haha 1

JCM

Has to be thousands of Peepers too. When we first moved here it took a while to fall asleep in the summer with the windows open. Now that old age, tinnitus and other associated hearing issues from jackhammers and compressors inside of industrial buildings, I think the Peepers have all moved out.    :ROTF:     I'll send them North for you.   :thumbs:   Would you like a side order of coyotes to go with that, packs of them here too. how about bobcats, bears and an occasional moose ?

• Heart 1