ebinmaine

How do I properly use this hole saw on pine?

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Pullstart said:

The only benefit I’d see is that the PVC being round is easy to scoop out of.

Exactly correct

• Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

How about plastic coffee containers on a shelf ? Comes with a lid and you can write on them. I use for wheelhorse small parts / El Camino small parts. Nuts bolts screws and nails.  Smaller versions of @Ed Kennell magic 5 gallon buckets. Plus I am keeping plastic out of the land fill and I am cheap.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

How about plastic coffee containers on a shelf ? Comes with a lid and you can write on them. I use for wheelhorse small parts / El Camino small parts. Nuts bolts screws and nails.  Smaller versions of @Ed Kennell magic 5 gallon buckets. Plus I am keeping plastic out of the land fill and I am cheap.

Absolutely do that to some extent already. 

I'm lookin to have a 60 to 80 compartment bolt separator so I can spread out all our old unsorted hardware back into appropriate bins and reuse it.  

elcamino/wheelhorse

Good luck with getting hard ware all together in one place. Been trying to do that for years  without any accomplishment.  My brother was given a 60 bin floor model unit full on bolts and he still has coffee cans stacked up with stuff. ( He is the neat one in the family. Can work all day on a greasy car and only has to wipe his hands on a shop rag . I walk by the same project and end up looking like pig pen from Peanuts) .

• Haha 5

formariz

@ebinmaine

In the interest of you not getting hurt with that contraption I am willing to send you a 4” hole-saw if you would like it. No charge you can keep it , since I have several. Would you have a mandrel for it?

3F73D268-768D-47C4-B3D0-7F7ECC6F2211.jpeg.72b30a1ebfa27eab6235abc96a775432.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Good luck with getting hard ware all together in one place. Been trying to do that for years  without any accomplishment.  My brother was given a 60 bin floor model unit full on bolts and he still has coffee cans stacked up with stuff. ( He is the neat one in the family. Can work all day on a greasy car and only has to wipe his hands on a shop rag . I walk by the same project and end up looking like pig pen from Peanuts) .

If it's anything like alot of other organizing attempts of mine it'll look great. One time. For like a week. 

After that?

Whereedahhellallmyboltsgo??

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, formariz said:

@ebinmaine

In the interest of you not getting hurt with that contraption I am willing to send you a 4” hole-saw if you would like it. No charge you can keep it , since I have several. Would you have a mandrel for it?

That's VERY much appreciated Caz.  

No worries. 

I may just order the circles off Etsy because it'll take a TON of time if I decide to make them myself.  

bc.gold

I believe you'll find a 4" round pigeon hole awkward when removing bolts, nuts or washers, I made this several years ago and find the holes way too small when I make a grab.

Often I find myself using my telescopic magnet to retrieve stuff from the bins.

spacer.png

formariz

I rather have this type of system . Easy to see contents , can be taken right to work area, and no garbage or stray fasteners get mixed up with them. 

CDDDE440-0A5D-49FC-8CD5-5843174771EA.jpeg.bd30ce9e7ad85b2dc6720049a66cc2a3.jpeg

23C4929B-A0D1-4994-BD27-AD7637F3EB20.jpeg.3eeb3e050ae2362ffe550108d72ed4d9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Snoopy11
54 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Whereedahhellallmyboltsgo??

Isn't that a website I visited yesterday... :confusion-confused:

:laughing-rolling:

Don

• Like 1

ZXT

Hey Eric, what if I told you I cut 12 4" holes in wood today at work for some recessed lighting and threw the cut outs in the dumpster? :hide:

I'd have thrown them in the back of my truck if I knew you were in the market for some!

• Haha 7

elcamino/wheelhorse

@formariz I like your arrangement. There is one problem its hard to find glass jars with lids unless there is a yard or estate sale with a boat load of canning jars . Everything comes in plastic now .

• Like 1

formariz
8 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@formariz I like your arrangement. There is one problem its hard to find glass jars with lids unless there is a yard or estate sale with a boat load of canning jars . Everything comes in plastic now .

Thank you. Although a little “diluted” after 34 years of use it all started with Mason jars. Readily available, cheap and available with wide mouths and lids. Also available in all kinds of sizes . Unlike most other jars they are also rather strong with thick glass. 

• Like 1

roadapples

Yup, I save mayonnaise and peanut butter jars...

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, roadapples said:

Yup, I save mayonnaise and peanut butter jars...

I use the PB jars. Can't get my hand in a mayo jar. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, bc.gold said:

pigeon hole

My hands are over 4" across the palm. I couldn't fit in a 4" pigeon hole. 

I'm making trays. 

Similar to the one here:

Or here:

Screenshot_20211202-044806-388.png.932e0738e3b7f06d721c2c6f0f6ff3b1.png

• Excellent 1

squonk

For all the CHEEP SKATES in here. (Eric, Waldo)  Carbide tipped Spyder Hole saws on sale at Lowes $99.00! I cut through an abandoned gas line for lights in a wall with one! :banana-jumprope:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spyder-14-Piece-Carbide-Tipped-Arbored-Hole-Saw-Set/1000407443

• Like 1

squonk
11 hours ago, WHX?? said:

silver wizards here.

:angry-tappingfoot: BBBWWAHHAHAH! YOU AINT FAR BEEHIND! :)

• Haha 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

My hands are over 4" across the palm. I couldn't fit in a 4" pigeon hole. 

Reminds me of a story…

I can imagine Bear with his 4” hand in a 4” jar but won’t let go of the 3/8-16x1-1/4” bolt to hang Collossus’ transmission on the frame!

Edited by Pullstart
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

roadapples

The center from a 4" hole saw is not going to be that much smaller. Maybe an 1/8". After you cut the pipe length wise it will draw into your pieces when you screw them fast...

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I can imagine Bear with his 4” hand in a 4” jar but won’t let go of the 3/8-16x1-1/4” bolt

I don't even know if I could tell you how many times I've done similar things to that...

😂

• Haha 1

roadapples
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I use the PB jars. Can't get my hand in a mayo jar. 

Harbor Freight has a plastic tray just for that. About 8x8 with one inch sides and one corner cut out. Dump your jar, get what you want, and dump right back in. They work great and only a couple bucks....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Harbor Freight has a plastic tray just for that. About 8x8 with one inch sides and one corner cut out. Dump your jar, get what you want, and dump right back in. They work great and only a couple bucks....

Definitely have to check that out. 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
14 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

60 to 80 compartment

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Diameter-Kraft-Mailing-Tubes/dp/B082BGHT87/

Don't know if the shipping tubes are OD or ID though.

If they fit maybe they'll be tight enough that you won't need glue.

Maybe you can saw notches in the pipe to locate the dividers.

You would use the thinwall stuff for this?

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 2

stevasaurus

Hey Eric, you live in a forest...you can't tell me you can't find a 4" dia tree limb and cut circles with a chop saw.  Might have to touch them up with a circular sander.  :confusion-confused:  After reading this, I could have cut them already.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5