ebinmaine

Carburetor cleaning brushes?

ebinmaine

Anybody use tiny brushes to clean the main jet bore on carbs?

Can you recommend a set?

ZXT

Never used brushes but i've often wondered about it. Wonder if gun cleaning brushes would work? Would obviously want something that isn't too abrasive. 

953 nut

All I've ever used is compressed air or an aerosol carb cleaner. 

• Like 1

Snoopy11

I've got these... which I have about a dozen of... which I need because I never know where I put them... which leads me to buy more... which... has nothing to do with your topic... :laughing-rolling:

ANYHOO...

Amazon.com: HIFROM Carburetor Jet Cleaner cleaning Tool-13 Wire Set Torch  Tip for ATV Moped Motorcycle Carb Carburetor : Automotive

From the jungle. Hifrom is the brand... 

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut

I don't think I would use torch tip cleaners on a soft brass jet bore, they may enlarge the bore. Don't care if someone on the jungle site calls them carb cleaners, they are tip cleaners and too abrasive to be used on a carb.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

All I've ever used is compressed air or an aerosol carb cleaner. 

Same here.  

I've had a couple carbs recently that needed to be cleaned more than once.  

I know that just .. happens. 

On both the main jet bore had some sh.. stuff that needed a little extra time to break free.  

I'm wondering if the effects of ethanol are becoming more prevalent or I just got lucky and found 2 super gunky carbs...

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

I don't think I would use torch tip cleaners on a soft brass jet bore, they may enlarge the bore. Don't care if someone on the jungle site calls them carb cleaners, they are tip cleaners and too abrasive to be used on a carb.

Maybe brass or nylon brushes?

WHX??

I got round brushes we use for cleaning refrigeration fittings wonder if they would work. Squonky knows the one I'm talking about. They come in a bunch of different sizes but I would guess 1" and 1 1/4 sizes is what would be needed if your talking about cleaning the main bore.

I can toss some in them that carb box you is gonna get some day. :)

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

main bore.

Jet bore Jimbo. 

Itty bitty. 

• Like 1

Snoopy11
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I would agree if you are going to dig around in the jet like Mr. Hyde giving a prostate examn... 

:laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 1

ZXT
13 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Only time I use them is if there's something in there solid that I can't get out otherwise. If I do use it, I push it in and clear the blockage, and pull it out. Then use carb cleaner to clear out any other debris. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Snoopy11
Just now, ZXT said:

Only time I use them is if there's something in there solid that I can't get out otherwise. If I do use it, I push it in and clear the blockage, and pull it out. Then use carb cleaner to clear out any other debris. 

One the money there Jonah. Exactly! :music-rockout:

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

I've used a set that I got ages ago--can't remember where, but maybe it came with a rebuild kit?

Obviously they don't go through the tiny jet orifaces for the idle feed and the pressure sensing channels, only the channel leading to them. Exception is the Tecumseh main jet which I can brush out completely.

It has been helpful on seriously gunked carbs where I could get access (as evidenced by the gunk coming out on the brush) but I still rely on a small collection number sized wires for poking out the actual jet "pinholes". (I have a set of abrasive ones, too, for torches but those never see carbs).

• Like 2

Brockport Bill

I'm new to the carb cleaning and repair or replace world - just a newbie, but i did recentlyorder a carb kit - and inside carton included a set of brushes ( see photo ) - have not used them.  However, like others here - thus far I have just used cleaner spray or air - so curious to learn here about the brushes and how and when to use or not use?

wh carb brushes.jpg

• Like 2

wallfish
53 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

which I need because I never know where I put them.

Yeah, those things hide like 10 mm sockets and the socks from the dryer. Good thing they're cheap! LoL

I have a bunch of those for the same reason

Never used any brushes either. Sometimes a tiny copper wire for the main jet needle holes. I need to get one of those ultra sonic cleaners

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

curious to learn here about the brushes and how and when to use or not use?

My own thought is to run a soft brush down the hole where the main jet is on the Kohler carbs I rebuild. 

I haven't tackled a Tecumseh carburetor as has @Handy Don.  

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, wallfish said:

socks

Just quit wearing socks John. 

• Haha 2

midpack

I haven't had any complaints with my sonic cleaner

• Like 2

WHX??

Buddy of mine and  @Achto has got one of those ultrasonic thingamabobs  from HF and likes it . 

Me thinks you are gonna be  the next carb queen here EB! :lol:

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

ZXT
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

Buddy of mine and  @Achto has got one of those ultrasonic thingamabobs  from HF and likes it . 

Me thinks you are gonna be  the next carb queen here EB! :lol:

Use my HF Ultrasonic cleaner on carbs all the time! Love it.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, ZXT said:

HF Ultrasonic cleaner

May haffta order one up ..

WHX??

What do you use in it for solvent @ZXT

ZXT
8 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

What do you use in it for solvent @ZXT

Have used simple green, hot water/soap, evaporust.. all seem to work well. Evaporust is good if there's a lot of rust/stuck throttle shafts, but the simple green mixture seems to work well on standard cleaning jobs. I always make sure to use the heater though.. Heat does wonders for breaking stuff loose. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

I need to get one of those ultra sonic cleaners

Santa brought me an ultra sonic cleaner last Christmas. (I got caught with small carb parts in Mrs Santa’s jewelry cleaner, that she never uses). A nice larger 3liter one that Walmart Carrie’s online. It’s amazing how much gunk is in the bottom of it after putting a carb that I had previously “cleaned” in it. I’ve been using it for all kinds of things. 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1