stevasaurus

John Campbell (Brrly1) passed

stevasaurus

My good friend @Brrly1 passed away last Sunday 11/28/21.  He was a good friend to many others on this site also.  Here is the Obituary...

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/23250315/john-a-campbell/holland/ohio/cremation-society-of-toledo-srs

He was a fierce Iowa Hawkeye's fan.  He loved getting into the old Big Ten Football Pools we used to do.  He and @HorseFixer from Michigan and @JimD from Ohio St. would really have at it.  I miss those guys and all that rivalry.

May he rest in peace.  I love you man.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 3
  • Sad 15
  • Heart 3

WHX??

Sorry to hear Steve. I never met the guy but certainly take your word for it that he was a class act. He is only a couple years older than me. 

Found this in the basement 

• Like 1
  • Heart 5

nylyon

This totally breaks my heart, John was such a great guy!  RIP John

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

Lane Ranger

I will always cherish the memory of John "Brrly" Campbell for his love of the Wheel Horse tractors. We shared that passion but he taught me several things and shared information as I began collecting. I visited about four years ago in Toledo to buy a 603 Wheel Horse from him . My wife and I were treated to a visit with his friend who housed some of his tractors and also collected. John also was a fixture at the big Wheel Horse Collectors Club Show near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania in late June. My condolences to his family on their loss. May he Rest In Peace.

62A1A029-D031-4E67-BF86-601216B209E5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 3

squonk

Big John called me out of the blue one Saturday. He wanted me to pick up a :wh: sign for him. He ended up driving all the way out here to get it. The mark from his head where it hit my doorway is still there. :helmet: RIP John :(

• Like 3
  • Heart 3

DougC

Edited by DougC
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

tunahead72

I'm really sorry to hear this Steve, thanks for letting us all know.  My condolences to his family, and to all you guys who knew him well. :(

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Racinbob

I never had the chance to meet John in person but I believe we Skyped a few years ago (Steve??). I heard a lot about him a lot and would have loved to know him better.

Our prayers are with his family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Snoopy11

Wow, that is truly saddening. 

Thanks for letting us know Steve.

Don

• Like 3

squonk

I remember you telling me Steve about the wagon in the hotel room! :lol:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Achto

Always hate to hear about the loss of a fellow collector. :( My prayers go out to John's family. R.I.P. John

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

953 nut

Sorry to hear of John's passing. Hope this simple prayer will help.

Dear Lord, you hold time within your hands, and see it all, from beginning to end. Please keep and carry John's family in their sadness and loss. Cover them with your great wings of love, give their weary hearts rest and their minds sound sleep. Lord, lift their eyes so that they may catch a glimpse of eternity, and be comforted by the promise of heaven.
We ask all this in the precious name of Jesus.

Amen

I never had the opportunity to meet John in person but did share a few PMs where he figured I wasn't correct on a post I'd made but wanted to be polite and not call me out on the thread he was referring to. That is the kind of people that we should all strive to be. Rest in piece John.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 4

Brockport Bill

i still consider myself a R.Sq newbie since March  -- but like thousands others here i have found a fraternity of common affection and loyalty to these machines -- but moreover, reading these wonderful heart warming tributes to your friend John Campbell it is clear this site is more than a place to share mechanical info but the comments demonstrate an impressive loyalty to each other and a true human bonding, affection and appreciation for the relationships formed by something called garden tractors, aka the "herd, the ponies, the horses" - every time i log on i learn something about tractors.... but most importantly i learn something more --- the values and the roots of the great people that built this country are reflected and live through the WH community - and to read the touching tributes to your friend proves the bond lives and grows in every post - my thanks to the founders of RS and to the people ( administrators/experts) who give it oxygen every day.... but mostly to the every day "horse" lovers who create sometimes anonymous and remote friendships we all enjoy. 

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 4

stevebo

John was a good man. Rip my friend. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

wh500special

Thanks for posting this Steve.  

John was a genuinely good guy.  I was lucky enough to cross paths with him many times in several different states.  He certainly was one who didn’t hesitate to travel for this hobby.  And for such a big guy he always was so warm and approachable. 

Over the many years he shared a lot of stories about sawing concrete and his beloved Hawkeyes.  I remember how excited he was when I told him I got to attend the 1985 Iowa/Michigan game which was apparently one of Iowa’s most memorable for a lot of fans. 

And he loved his GT14 which I seem to remember was his father’s tractor. 

It’s Sad to hear of his passing and I hope his family knows he made an impact on many people all over the country.  Me included. 

I’ve missed his contributions around here lately.  And especially the way he usually signed his notes.  

Seems appropriate to say to John:

”See ya, bye Burly”

Steve

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 3

Pullstart

I’ll share this picture again here as well. I met him at Scott’s last meet and greet.  RIP Brrly

D97461F9-CC8D-4435-AC17-E2DE27CA366E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

formariz

Sad to see this . John was a great guy . Spent a lot of time talking with him about tombstone weights . He used one of mine with the handle to make the mold for the ones he had cast. He also cast a RJ hood weight for me. May he Rest In Peace. 

• Heart 4

bmsgaffer
8 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Sorry to hear Steve. I never met the guy but certainly take your word for it that he was a class act. He is only a couple years older than me. 

Found this in the basement 

A very memorable day! I had met him in the past, but we got to spend half a day together and it was a good time shootin the breeze about tractors and life!

RIP John, you will be missed!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

T-Mo

Sorry to hear of John's passing.  Like many here, I never met him face to face, but I had a lot of conversations with him on this site.  Condolences to his family and all of his friends.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

Godspeed.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

dclarke

John always took time to visit whenever I ran into him. He was a great guy!.. R.I.P. John. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1