ri702bill

Frame Plate Hole Jig

ebinmaine

Very cool!

Pullstart

Great tooling!

ri702bill

Thanks guys. I was originally going to machine the block to leave 2 raised flats on each  - WAY too much work. A little math to deduct half of the .3125 dowels and knocked it all out in the milling machine, including all the insert thru holes. All told, about a 3 beer job. (My son's godfather rated the difficulty of all automotive repairs that way - 2 beers for replacing rotors and pads, 4 beers to change a water pump, etc.)

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Handy Don

@ri702bill this is excellent work and cool that you had the tools to work with.

ri702bill

Thanks, Don. We upgraded the lathe with a good used one and bought the Milling Machine new in the summer of 2019 - we all got the word that the company where I worked for 14 years (and did design work for them as a customer since 1989) was closing by the end of the year - corporate decided we cost too much. Forty five years wherever I worked I had access to both machine tools - it was time to purchase my own. Not exactly a cheap venture, but well worth it.

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Not exactly a cheap venture, but well worth it.

Excellent!!

• Like 1

peter lena

@ri702bill  terrific work on that ! how dare you go outside the norm ?  just joking , a glairing thing to me is your drive belt upper idler pulley , prone to noise an failure , have a local BEARING DISTRIBUTOR IN YOUR AREA ?  they probably have a duplicate flat idler with a  5/8 or 3/4 , wide rubber side shield bearing , that can easily be improved with a clean out and re grease to lucas xtra heavy duty , add a 3/8 x 5/8  or 3/8 x 3/4 bronze bushing , remount , tell me how that works , solid , bombproof , on my stuff , pete

ri702bill

@peter lena I did just that with the C81 - no regrets. I still have a couple of these originals that are servicable awaiting the call.

Yup, outside the norm - welded in frame reinforcing plate and 2 frame braces - this is a "Working Girl" - will see either plow or snowthrower duty really soon. Just love it with the 8 speed.

• Like 1

pacer

As soon as I saw the pics I KNEW you had the kind of tools/machines needed to accomplish that - which, by the way, is ...pretty!  Nice work!!

I'm fortunate to have a big mill (Bridgeport clone) and a 13" South Bend lathe, along with several other machinist type tooling and ..... I'm bout bad as a druggie when I can tackle a job like that and get the "high" that comes when its finished.

ri702bill

@pacer Yup, the satisfaction of seeing an idea go from thought to sketch to metal to usefull tool is one of the things I miss most about not working .........

Still looking for a 10" South Bend with a 3 foot bed - lots of 9" or 10" with 4 or 5 foot long beds available locally - no room for those. The 9" is limited - collets are not 5C and only go up to 3/4" (as is the pass thru on the headstock - not exactly great).

Edited by ri702bill

Maxwell-8

That is a great and easy way to support that bracket. No welding required!

Thanks for the idea,:handgestures-thumbupright: I will most luckily use this as well on my C141D.