Jeff-C175

More C-125 / K301 questions with photos...

Jeff-C175

I put together a replacement for the missing clutch handle today.  I like it so much I'm going to make one for my C-175 also!

Now I need to figure out how come it's not staying DISengaged.  It EASILY jumps off the detent at the slightest touch.  It appears to be a new bracket / lever, judging from the paint on it, but I have not investigated further yet.  Wonder if anyone has run into this and solved it?

image.png.baea87650fc6021e1d3916d7ceb85415.png

What is the correct routing for the throttle cable?  This just CAN'T be correct!  It's right on the cooling fins of the engine, it's done melted the skin off the cable!  Maybe it's a replacement cable and simply too short?

If someone could post a pic of the correct routing it would be much appreciated!

image.png.7b272459365194aaa33286b646bfa4c9.png

While looking that over I noticed some oil 'weepage' at the front of the engine.  To me it appears to be concentrated right under the fuel pump.  I presume there's a gasket there that may need to be refreshed?

image.png.92a6add2c7eedb24de0a1a1f4375efad.png

image.png.d5608fd90c55a321ae4a00e417add542.png

The only other suspect is the valve cover but and that appears to be a little weepy too, but  more so the fuel pump. 

image.png.0e1236d45581ee95240cf878e16ad1a5.png

What say you K301 gurus?

Jeff-C175

I put together a replacement for the missing clutch handle today.  I like it so much I'm going to make one for my C-175 also!

Now I need to figure out how come it's not staying DISengaged.  It EASILY jumps off the detent at the slightest touch.  It appears to be a new bracket / lever, judging from the paint on it, but I have not investigated further yet.  Wonder if anyone has run into this and solved it?

What is the correct routing for the throttle cable?  This just CAN'T be correct!  It's right on the cooling fins of the engine, it's done melted the skin off the cable!  Maybe it's a replacement cable and simply too short?

If someone could post a pic of the correct routing it would be much appreciated!

image.png.7b272459365194aaa33286b646bfa4c9.png

While looking that over I noticed some oil 'weepage' at the front of the engine.  To me it appears to be concentrated right under the fuel pump.  I presume there's a gasket there that may need to be refreshed?

image.png.d5608fd90c55a321ae4a00e417add542.png

The only other suspect is the valve cover but and that appears to be a little weepy too, but  more so the fuel pump. 

image.png.0e1236d45581ee95240cf878e16ad1a5.png

What say you K301 gurus?

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

That seepage, does it feel oily or just wet? Does it smell like oil or gas?

• Like 2

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I presume there's a gasket there that may need to be refreshed?

:text-yeahthat:

Google... KOH 25-041-10

Don

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

23 Reo

My 1981 C-125 clutch handle would not stay disengaged either. I never tried to fix as I thought it was just worn out. It was my first Wheel Horse.

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

That seepage, does it feel oily or just wet? Does it smell like oil or gas?

Ya know what?  I didn't actually stick my fanger in it !  I'll do that later, and maybe give it a taste too.

But, I don't believe it's gas... I would have smelt that being that I've been working up close the past few days.  Almost certain it's Earl.

Now that ya got me thinkin' about it though, aren't these the fuel pumps that can dump gasoline into the crankcase if the diaphragm takes a dump?

"I'll fix your flat tire Merle,

don't ya get your sweet country pickin' fangers all covered in Earl..."

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Snoopy11

And yes, I knew that part number off the top of my head... :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jeff-C175
4 minutes ago, 23 Reo said:

My 1981 C-125 clutch handle would not stay disengaged either. I never tried to fix as I thought it was just worn out. It was my first Wheel Horse.

It can be especially exciting if you're not in the seat and the motion lever is in FORWARD, and the machine lurches toward your wife's vintage Monte Carlo!

• Haha 1

rjg854
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Now that ya got me thinkin' about it though, aren't these the fuel pumps that can dump gasoline into the crankcase if the diaphragm takes a dump?

Yeap

• Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
16 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That looks killer.

Your problem would seem to be a worn backet? wrong spring angle?.

Since my new belt is not yet stretched. I have the opposed problem where the disengage is jumping on, and the handle gets hung up in the up position

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sparkie333

That looks like where my cable is at----I don't know the part #:eusa-think::laughing-rofl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, sparkie333 said:

I don't know the part #:eusa-think::laughing-rofl:

:hilarious:

Neither do I... :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Excellent 1

Maxwell-8
22 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Thats How my M12 looks currently. fuelpump is leaking...

DSC_0599.JPG.d798fe6ab7da6ff081471e13c87930ec.JPG

• Like 1

sparkie333

Now that made me laugh ----Good to be able to laugh once in a while--- 

I need to get used to it my sister called me today and wished me a belated 71th as of yesterday--:USA::snooty::text-offtopic:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, sparkie333 said:

71th as of yesterday

Let me be the second!

Happy Birthday buddy! :lol:

Don

• Like 1

sparkie333
7 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Let me be the second!

Happy Birthday buddy! :lol:

Don

Thanks -----and to all a ----Happy Thanksgiving--- And I'm unanimous in this.....

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175

Changed the transmission oil and filter this evening.  It was really black and stunk pretty bad.

Ran a magnet through the drain pan, only a few tiny tiny little chips of metal, so trans is probably OK.

I'll run it for a while and change it again before it's due date.

Anyone know if this is a date code on the old filter?

image.png.a76a47ec9be18db5e1fffe37b35f3d01.png

First week of 2006?  If it is, I believe it.  But then, I've got underwear older than that!  :omg:

Also, the fender pan had been sprayed with rubberized bed liner and I just didn't care for it so I stripped that all off.  Heat gun and a scraper and it came right off.  Quite a bit of rust under the bedliner.  Tomorrow I'll clean up the metal and try to get it painted before dinner.

image.png.7ee1c7d2de761c0463d2434b533e6d21.png

@sparkie333 Happy Birthday!

And to everyone, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Tuneup

My 125's replacement was off a 520H so it's for an auto. You did better - clearly a manual's pan. Sadly, once they went to the foil labels, we can't even make an educated guess. Looks like it will clean-up nicely. Just turned the turkey in the brine for a wonderful frying around 2PM. Happy Thanksgiving back at'cha!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Tuneup said:

manual's pan

How can you tell?

The one I got for my 175 decades ago is the exact shape of this one but there are some differences.  The one on the 175 has a square opening in the center under the seat. You can see this one goes not.  Also, there's an extra hole on the 175 for the seat safety switch, that hole is not in this one.  I'll have to use one of the other ones or drill a new one.

peter lena

@Jeff-C175  noting that cabling issue , looks like it needs a total reroute , not in the book , another thing i noticed was the linkage spring pull  point, have two springs , mounted on all my  cable mountings , one pulling each way . along with a thorough lubrication verification , with super lube , makes for total cable ease , also a great spot to fuel check valve just under that carb . rerouted my cables long ago , and increase the cable mount areas , cable flop , amounts to  poor reaction . pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@Jeff-C175  just some of the spring improvements i use, ever try to push a cable ? that's what a single spring will amount to , also mount perforated trim metal to related mount so i have an instant counter pull point . that gives linkage a smooth sweet spot of direction, lots of hours on this set up , this in not in the book . but it sure does work , pete 

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
10 minutes ago, peter lena said:

total reroute

Looks like the routing is correct just that the cableis a little short, like maybe 2" or so.

Dorman has a 'universal' cable for not much $$ but it's not plastic sheathed which I would prefer.

But that part is low on the priority list because for now it's working fine.

• Like 1

Snoopy11
16 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Thats How my M12 looks currently. fuelpump is leaking...

17 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Google... KOH 25-041-10

Don

:text-yeahthat: @Maxwell-8!!! :P

Don

peter lena

@Snoopy11  that should be a quick fix and possible upgrade , always have a new spare pump in my w/h stuff , along with heim joints , fuel filters , oil additives , lots of goodies , pete

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
9 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

routing is correct just that the cableis a little short, like maybe 2" or so

I routed the cable on the OUTSIDE of the oil dipstick tube and clamped onto the very end of the cable, there was about an inch extra there.  I turned the clamp bracket a few degrees and put a couple layers of heat shrink over the cable.

Looks like this will do the trick, it's not laying on the cylinder head fins any longer.

• Like 3