peter lena

fuel check valves

peter lena

if you would like to improve your starting , you might try one of these , close to your carb , in a vertical mount , almost like it was made to fit in the kohler / wheel horse fuel delivery area. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085G7JVSM/ref=pe_2313400_614365670_em_1p_0_lm, have these on my  3 koher 12 magnums, fuel delivery is instant , no drain back in line . also found  less choke is needed , and its cold start up running is much better .  also did a fresh clear vinyl fuel rated hose from tank to carb . with spring clamps , no leaks or issues . wrapped in cable wrap to prevent chafing , tye up eyes along routing   pete 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff R.

Peter

Thanks for the tip and the link - I am going to order this for a 1992 John Deere that has a tank under the seat.  I have been experiencing longer cranking times over the past couple of years.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

squonk

Put one in my 953. Didn't work. Electric pump solved it.

• Like 3

ebinmaine

I understand a primer bulb like you'd see on a boat also helps a lot.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I understand a primer bulb like you'd see on a boat also helps a lot.

That's what I use on all my tractors.    Instant start no matter how long they sit.

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

Same here…

• Like 1

peter lena

@JeffR  jeff , my  horses all have the under seat tank , the upgrade detailing of , new vinyl fuel rated clear line , eliminates the ethanol break down of the original rubber hoses , that's  what clogs up carb jetting and fills the carb float bowl, also a fresh in line filter , and put that check valve filter in a VERTICAL ARROW UP POSITION ,  close to carb . that will give you a fuel holding carb edge to quick start . have a lot of hours on this set up now , so i know it works , check your carb bowl for debris , should be clean . regularly ad STA-BIL to all my fuel , should help out , pete

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@squonk Skunky wonder if the check valve would work on thee POS EL ? The dang thing drains down all the time . Cranks for ever. 

squonk
7 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@squonk Skunky wonder if the check valve would work on thee POS EL ? The dang thing drains down all the time . Cranks for ever. 

If it's leaking from the Welch plugs in the fuel bowl the answer is no. They are cheap enough to try though.

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@elcamino/wheelhorse , if you do try that fuel check valve , mount it vertically , arrow up just under carb , that will hold a fuel charge , on the other hand if you have myriad of related problems , they should also be taken care of , , if you want to , pete 

elcamino/wheelhorse

@peter lena Myriad of problems describe the El Camino to a T . It has been a PITA since I purchased it 20 years ago. That is why my wife named it  POS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

squonk
5 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@peter lena Myriad of problems describe the El Camino to a T . It has been a PITA since I purchased it 20 years ago. That is why my wife named it  POS.

Tow it to the BS. I'll take it off your hands for a BBQ dinner! hehe!

• Haha 1

Marv
On 11/24/2021 at 3:47 PM, squonk said:

Put one in my 953. Didn't work. Electric pump solved it.

I agree. Electric did the same for me.

Marv

peter lena

@Marv , interesting , did you keep the valve  vertically to your carb fuel feed ? obviously your fuel pump was shot . valve will only hold fuel  . have this set up on  3 kohler magnum engines , 1 electric pump , 2 Manuel  setup , all 3 instant start . just curious , pete 

Wheelhorse#1

Going to give this a try on my 12 kohler. It’s seems to always need choke no matter   ,cold or warm.Runs great otherwise.

Thanks for the info  

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Going to give this a try on my 12 kohler. It’s seems to always need choke no matter   ,cold or warm.Runs great otherwise.

Thanks for the info  

On my K341 I almost always need to at least flash the choke whether hot or cold. 

If it's a cold start I often need to let it warm up several minutes before usage. 

Check valve may help with faster starts but you'll likely need to keep using the choke if even for a split second like mine. 

Jeff R.
On 11/24/2021 at 6:28 PM, peter lena said:

@JeffR  jeff , my  horses all have the under seat tank , the upgrade detailing of , new vinyl fuel rated clear line , eliminates the ethanol break down of the original rubber hoses , that's  what clogs up carb jetting and fills the carb float bowl, also a fresh in line filter , and put that check valve filter in a VERTICAL ARROW UP POSITION ,  close to carb . that will give you a fuel holding carb edge to quick start . have a lot of hours on this set up now , so i know it works , check your carb bowl for debris , should be clean . regularly ad STA-BIL to all my fuel , should help out , pete

Pete,

I appreciate your response.  I replaced the fuel line from the tank to the carb a year or two ago, however I just used the standard fuel line.  The inline filter was replaces as well.   I have switched over to non ethanol fuel since the ethanol fuel has bitten me in the rear in the past.  I will probably pull the carb and put it on the bench and go through it for good measure.  The check valves arrived today, so I have that at the ready as well.

jeff

peter lena

@Jeff R.  with you going thru that carb , is a very good verification to carb status, is your fuel pump ok?  mounted my fuel valve just under the carb , from fuel pump , jf your pump is good , you will have a standing line of fuel to carb , obviously that check valve will not help a bad pump , this set up works , have it on my 3 horses , instant starts . ethanol fuel breaks down those black rubber hoses , that fill your fuel bowl with debris , use clear ,fuel rated vinyl , pete  

Marv
On 11/26/2021 at 10:24 AM, peter lena said:

@Marv , interesting , did you keep the valve  vertically to your carb fuel feed ? obviously your fuel pump was shot . valve will only hold fuel  . have this set up on  3 kohler magnum engines , 1 electric pump , 2 Manuel  setup , all 3 instant start . just curious , pete 

Pete,

The way it worked out for me was: I installed the check valve (one of three I purchased). Then the tractor sat 3days and had to crank it for an abnormal time before it would start. I decided the check valve must be leaking. I have a spare tank with a straight fitting on the bottom for the hose to fit on. I attached the check valve to the bottom hanging straight dowm and left it a couple days with a glass container under it. It leaked. Did the same thing with the others with the same results. So, I used an electric fuel pump and now have instant starts.

Marv

• Thanks 1

wallfish
7 minutes ago, Marv said:

So, I used an electric fuel pump and now have instant starts.

Here's another option. The electric fuel pump can be wired to the starting circuit like at the solenoid on the12v from the key switch. The pump will only energize and operate when starting only. Off once the engine starts. If your engine runs good except for periods of hard starting after sitting this may be an option. Leave the fuel lines plumbed to the original pump and splice in the electric pump. Instant starting but it doesn't necessarily need to run continuously and the electric fuel pump uses check valves anyway.

Did this on one on mine but using a cheapie $12 pump. Less run time on it maybe it last a lot longer

:twocents-02cents:

It's a possibility adding check valves can regain the existing fuel pump's output, check valve issues in a fuel pump are the most common cause of failure. When those valves don't seal correctly the pump looses pressure out because the fuel is just moving back and forth in the fuel line past the bad valves instead of forward only to the carb. Adding good check valves right before and right after a pump can regain the effectiveness of it if the diaphragm is solid. The older metal type pumps with the little circle seals (not the pod type) can be rejuvenated by cleaning the surfaces and flipping those circles.

• Thanks 2