Maxwell-8

trickle chargers

Maxwell-8

This topic is an important enough it deserves it's own tread. 

Since winter is upcoming, we need to get our expensive (up to $100 here)  U1 batteries safe for next spring. 

A trickle charger seems like a good idea. But which one do you use? Do you leave the battery in the tractor? Is it hooked up all winter our only a week at a time?

Edit: How many years do you get out of a battery this way?

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Excellent 1

squonk

My batteries stay in the tractor and are connected to battery tenders. Since I don't want to have to replace the batteries all at the same time, once they get 2 years old I start testing them. I'll put new batteries in the 2 tractors that work a lot and swap the better of the remaining around. My 1045 is a PITA to change the battery so I pretty much leave that one alone. I usually end up replacing 2 batteries a year. Once one gets 3 years old I figure it's on borrowed time. The battery ages are staggered enough to where I can not have to buy them all at once. Plus I end up having a decent battery on the bench for my engine stand and testing trailer lights ect.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

In the mid '70s tractors the tray is larger than it is in the older mid-60s tractors.

And Trina's older tractors we use the standard U1. 

In my later model C series I use a car battery, group 51.

I get them from the salvage yard when they're available for about 30 bucks a piece.

If we are not going to run a tractor for the season we take the battery out and leave it in the basement workshop. I put a 1 amp manual trickle charger on it for a couple days every 4 to 6 weeks.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

sparkie333
11 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

This topic is an important enough it deserves it's own tread. 

Since winter is upcoming, we need to get our expensive (up to $100 here)  U1 batteries safe for next spring. 

A trickle charger seems like a good idea. But which one do you use? Do you leave the battery in the tractor? Is it hooked up all winter our only a week at a time?

Edit: How many years do you get out of a battery this way?

i try to pick a 12v 6or2 amp charger--If I have a battery run down or just down--I set the charger to 6 amp to charge most time one hour and i can start my car/tractor/truck mower--ect. IF I wish to trickle charge, I set it on 2amp charge can leave it on overnight. i like to charge a non active battery 2/3 times through the winter or any time it is to be left for even a year  them I would like to charge it 4/5 times a year. If going to leave a trickle charger on all the time I use a 1amp charger even better if it has an auto shut off. Good luck 

• Like 2

sparkie333
9 minutes ago, squonk said:

My batteries stay in the tractor and are connected to battery tenders. Since I don't want to have to replace the batteries all at the same time, once they get 2 years old I start testing them. I'll put new batteries in the 2 tractors that work a lot and swap the better of the remaining around. My 1045 is a PITA to change the battery so I pretty much leave that one alone. I usually end up replacing 2 batteries a year. Once one gets 3 years old I figure it's on borrowed time. The battery ages are staggered enough to where I can not have to buy them all at once. Plus I end up having a decent battery on the bench for my engine stand and testing trailer lights ect.

Question how many batteries do you have working at one time--- science you may replace 2 batteries a year ---

Achto

U1 batteries are relatively cheap here, $25 to $30. To be honest battery maintenance is one of my weak points. Each of my tractors get run out of fuel for off season storage. The batteries stay in the tractor, each one spends about 6hrs on a 2amp charger and then they are not looked at again until the tractor comes out of storage. I have 12 tractors with batteries in them, on average I replace 2 batteries each year. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

Our 310-8 winters in a shed in a very cold locale with no electric service. We park it in mid-October and don't see it again until mid-April. We use a small, regulated solar battery tender (~1amp) whenever the tractor is parked. So far so good.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk
46 minutes ago, sparkie333 said:

Question how many batteries do you have working at one time--- science you may replace 2 batteries a year ---

I have 2 tractors that get a lot of work during the summer and 2 more during the winter. 2 show tractors that sit except for a couple weekends a year

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11

I use Mighty Max trickle charger. Small, compact, but kicks butt... ;)

Don

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz

All my stored tractors and batteries are always plugged into trickle chargers. They in turn are connected to timers only working up to 8 hours. I have here batteries that are about 9 years old.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

buckeyes

A nine year old battery on any type of vehicle is very impressive!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
16 minutes ago, buckeyes said:

Darn right.

Mine last... a year or 2... :roll:

Don

• Excellent 1

Maxwell-8
9 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Darn right.

Mine last... a year or 2... :roll:

Don

seems like they get down in charge( below 8 volt) once, they are for the trash bin

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
Just now, Maxwell-8 said:

seems like they get down in charge( below 8 volt) once, they are for the trash bin

Yes sir, that is why I like Mighty Max batteries... they recover like any rechargeable battery, whereas regular batteries simply don't... :rolleyes:

Don

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

The small engine repair shop we use told me if a new U1 battery isn't maintained by the owner they average 2 or 3 seasons. 

If the owner uses the machine year round or uses a charger properly they average 4 or 5 years. 

@Achto your area is a flippin' bargain for batteries!!

The lowest price here is usually about $32 and that's for a low CCA. 

The ones we get from the above mentioned repair shop are $42. 275 CCA. 

Couple seasons ago I had a 190 CCA in the Cinnamon Horse C160 and it wouldn't even turn it fast enough to start.  

That was actually the episode that led me to the larger and far more powerful group 51.  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

The lowest price here is usually about $32 and that's for a low CCA. 

The ones we get from the above mentioned repair shop are $42. 275 CCA. 

A little more pricey here.

I just bought a 365 amp no name battery at Lowes that was over 60$. I had to charge the battery with my big battery charger before I could even use it because the charge was so low. 

If I am going to spend over 60$ on a battery... it darnwell better crank my engine over... or I am simply going to be... :angry-steamingears:

However, I have a mighty max on HellHorse and have NEVER had a problem with it. 

Don

• Excellent 1

formariz
40 minutes ago, buckeyes said:

The oldest one here by no means an exception.

Check date.

C9D33A6D-62F0-4BB8-AAB5-D57787EFA6F5.jpeg.7d02711cfe4ba9bcc69e7e4304da1dbd.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, formariz said:

Can you name-drop a brand on that? :confusion-confused:

Don

• Excellent 1

Maxwell-8
10 minutes ago, formariz said:

Check date.

2012? 

Our oldest ones are from 2014 and not really looked after to much, they just got charged a couple times a year.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

formariz
8 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Can you name-drop a brand on that? :confusion-confused:

Don

It’s a Diehard. Most that I have are Diehards. 
However I have a 2012 Ford E-250 Van with the original Motorcraft battery in it.

• Excellent 2

JoeM

3 to 10 years most closer to 5 on the battery life. 

A word of caution on the cheap tenders, they can ruin a battery. 

I like the Deltran jr. (ones 3/4 amp)

Recently got a Viking from Harbo Fright, and it is awesome but pricey at 37 us. The viking is totally automatic, goes from 4 amp charge to maintain mode. I really like the readout that shows the battery voltage and turns red when in charge mode then green in maintain mode. 

Batties? Don't need no batteries! 

1096321760_batterypic1.jpg.5df95feddcde0efb85f319f94155f9ca.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Maxwell-8

Once  a year, in spring, I will go around with my post cleaner and clean them. 

WILMAR W3302 CORPORATION Battery Terminal Cleaner ...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

formariz
2 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

2012? 

Lets see if anyone can decipher it.  It is marked J-4/10-4.  Hard to believe but true.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

The original John Deere Battery in my GT235 lasted 19 years.... Sat all winter Put a trickle charger on it in the spring and back to life... 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, formariz said:

Lets see if anyone can decipher it.  It is marked J-4/10-4.  Hard to believe but true.

I am... stumped... :laughing-rofl:

I could probably google it... but that wouldn't be fair... :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Excellent 1