Mustang67ford

42" RD blades

Mustang67ford

I believe my RD deck is a 42".  Blades are old and very worn.  They measure roughly 14".  Where is the best place to get new blades?  Part # 14-4873 for a 3-pack from what I read?? Also, I have been reading about people adding a set af gator blades as well.  How do I go about doing this and what gator blades do I get?  Is it a big improvement?  My deck is in need if a little work and the spindals themselves, the housings, are very worn down.  Can't believe it, never seen anything like it before.  Just got it with a 414-8 I'm working on.

JoeM

The standard RD blade is OE part number 106635. It is a low / medium lift blade. 

These are the gator blades I used on the 42 rear. They have a little more lift, are used on the side discharge mowers. I am not sure if the make a low lift gator.

evil bay purchase

632947937_Capture42inchrearWHgatorblades..JPG.4352257d7ded3f674f33cb1f180fb770.JPG

peter lena

@Mustang67ford , @JoeM has good advise there , you also mention a number of other issues , I use a small fine file to touch up my blades , minimal metal removal , quick / easy , oil coat to stop rust. Those worn spindles are bearings , myself , on bearing swap , i upgrade the original " grease " with lucas extra heavy duty , hi temp ,anti sling . wipe out original and replace with same amount of lucas ,no noise or failures . if the deck has not been regularly serviced , it could need more parts , like idler pulley , and spring tensioner slide area , use a 6 point socket , on impact gun to easily remove blade nuts . look on site for related deck rebuilding info . if its too much for you , you might find a local  rebuilder , look around , just some ideas , pete

• Like 1

Mustang67ford
54 minutes ago, JoeM said:

The standard RD blade is OE part number 106635. It is a low / medium lift blade. 

These are the gator blades I used on the 42 rear. They have a little more lift, are used on the side discharge mowers. I am not sure if the make a low lift gator.

evil bay purchase

632947937_Capture42inchrearWHgatorblades..JPG.4352257d7ded3f674f33cb1f180fb770.JPG

With respect to the gator blades, my deck is rear discharge.  I believe part number 106636 is for side discharge.  I see both part number 106635 and 14-4879 for blades so a little confused.  I'm thinking 14-4879 are recycler blades.  Will they work better or do I need the baffels insie the dek?   Also reading the length is 14.5", but manual says 14".

Edited by Mustang67ford

Mustang67ford
7 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Mustang67ford , @JoeM has good advise there , you also mention a number of other issues , I use a small fine file to touch up my blades , minimal metal removal , quick / easy , oil coat to stop rust. Those worn spindles are bearings , myself , on bearing swap , i upgrade the original " grease " with lucas extra heavy duty , hi temp ,anti sling . wipe out original and replace with same amount of lucas ,no noise or failures . if the deck has not been regularly serviced , it could need more parts , like idler pulley , and spring tensioner slide area , use a 6 point socket , on impact gun to easily remove blade nuts . look on site for related deck rebuilding info . if its too much for you , you might find a local  rebuilder , look around , just some ideas , pete

Bearings seem fine.  Its the actual spindal housings that are chipped and worn

peter lena

@Mustang67ford  if the spindles are chipped  rotted and in general poor shape , you might just consider searching for a good used set , they are die cast aluminum , they require regular cleaning and regular outside lubrication to kill off the moisture rot . look on site an the net , probably better off  replacing all 3 , look around , pete 

gwest_ca

Keep in mind early decks used blades with 5/8" x 3/4" double-D center holes. They did change to 3/4" center hole.

• Like 1

Mustang67ford
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Mustang67ford  if the spindles are chipped  rotted and in general poor shape , you might just consider searching for a good used set , they are die cast aluminum , they require regular cleaning and regular outside lubrication to kill off the moisture rot . look on site an the net , probably better off  replacing all 3 , look around , pete 

Yea, I'll probably keep an eye out for a set.  Not an immediate need, but something to look for.

• Like 1

Mustang67ford
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

Keep in mind early decks used blades with 5/8" x 3/4" double-D center holes. They did change to 3/4" center hole.

Thanks.  The spindals are not smooth on the sides, they have veins.

Edited by Mustang67ford

lynnmor
6 minutes ago, Mustang67ford said:

Thanks.  The spindals are not smooth on the sides, they have veins.

At this point, a photo would be helpful.  You may have spindles from a different brand.

JoeM
4 hours ago, JoeM said:

@Mustang67ford

Mustang67ford
On 11/21/2021 at 1:29 PM, lynnmor said:

At this point, a photo would be helpful.  You may have spindles from a different brand.

Will get a photo and post soon.

Mustang67ford
On 11/21/2021 at 1:29 PM, lynnmor said:

Will get a photo and post soon.  I see both part number 106635 and 14-4879 recycler blades.  Will recycler blades work better or do I need the baffels inside the deck?

squonk

You need the recycler insert.

all 150.JPG

rjg854

I have the recycler insert, but I wasn't impressed with the gator blades used with it. 

I thought the regular high lift blades with the recycler insert did a better job.  

Mustang67ford
3 hours ago, squonk said:

You need the recycler insert.

all 150.JPG

Thanks

Maxwell-8

@Mustang67ford

Or you will have to modified your deck to mulch if you like me can't find a recycler insert

Like I did: a link is in my signature

Here are some pictures. 

DSC_0513.JPG.92f802f9e05549c816fbd3d1ce81baa5.JPGDSC_0226.JPG.197eddfc4a86c8367a50fef44580c048.JPGDSC_0510.JPG.6bb6720c4d1e5799a8fcc51ddd57e4ec.JPG

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

@Mustang67ford

Or you will have to modified your deck to mulch if you like me can't find a recycler insert

Like I did: a link is in my signature

Here are some pictures. 

Nice work.

I'm also a convert to "recycling" the grass (I don't know why it took me so long, but that's another story...) and am fine with the clippings being a bit visible. Lasts only until a good breeze or shower comes along. 

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
19 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Nice work.

I'm also a convert to "recycling" the grass (I don't know why it took me so long, but that's another story...) and am fine with the clippings being a bit visible. Lasts only until a good breeze or shower comes along. 

we started with closing off the exit on the side discharge, but the clippings were mindblowing! 

PHOTO-2021-04-24-14-37-22.jpg.1ddd649b1f3d0b1c12ffe21c3144643d.jpg

Now we are happy to say, clippings are very limited!

DSC_0223.JPG.34cba0ae430e8c4986d5c763186e086b.JPG

• Like 1

biged77

I've been cutting grass with my 42RD for years without the recylcer insert (it had been removed by the PO).  Seems to work fine for me but I have no way to compare.  The clippings are contained and drop out the back.  Cleaning underside is probably easier with the insert, less surface area to catch debris.

squonk

The insert traps a lot of debris behind it but I take it out a couple times a year. It keeps the underside of the deck pristine.

IMG_0016.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

76c12091520h
5 hours ago, squonk said:

The insert traps a lot of debris behind it but I take it out a couple times a year. It keeps the underside of the deck pristine.

IMG_0016.JPG

Squonk, do you have the "kickers" installed on the recycler insert? I have used a 42" recycler for 25 yrs, and just added a set of the Gator blades last year. That combination absolutely pulverizes leaves and grass. Best cutting deck Toro or Wheel Horse ever made, as you long as you mow regularly and correctly.

Edited by 76c12091520h

squonk

Yes kickers installed. Lots of debris gets behind them too. I take them off couple times a year to clean them also.

squonk

Here's how much dirt and dust gets trapped with the insert. 99% of it just sweeps right out.

5adccca26921c_all147.JPG.721f7af2934e73b2d6e6f61a0448902a.JPG

And what gets trapped under the kickers

1740858341_recycler002.JPG.024908d269f49eb1740c78e503e11bdf.JPG

• Like 1

76c12091520h

This is my "sorta" NOS recycler insert. This was part of a dealer buyout from back in May and the story I got is that it was removed from a recycler deck before it ever left the dealership. The downside is that they got sick of having it in the way , so it spent 25+ years outside leaning up against the building covered in dirt and crap from grass clippings accumulating on it.. It will be getting sandblasted and powdercoated prior to installation in a 42" recycler that I am in the process of restoring. 

20211124_164635[1].jpg

20211124_164703[1].jpg

• Like 2