Jeff-C175

1980 C-125 wiring question

Jeff-C175

Going over my 'new to me' C-125 making a punch list of things I want (or need) to do to it.

Pulled the back fender to clean up under there.  I knew already that the seat switch had been removed and bypassed, but here's the weirdness...

The pair of BLACK wires that normally would go to the seat switch were bypassed, that's obvious enough, but there is another pair of wires that were also connected together. 

These are ORANGE RED (faded to Orange!).  They're taped inside the wire harness so I know they're original.  They are also connected together with a jumper.   I haven't traced them out yet to see where they come from but am going back out to do that now.

At first I thought they might be for the taillights (this one has only reflectors on it now) but as I recall from working on my 175 and looking at the schematics, there should only be ONE wire and the return was chassis ground.

Anyone have any advice?  

I'll stop back later after I trace them through the harness...

Edited by Jeff-C175

8ntruck

The orange wires might be the brake safety switch.  On my early '80's C195, that switch needs to be closed to crank the starter.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
42 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

orange

I thought I had corrected that to RED but it appears that the edit didn't 'take' for some reason.

I think you're correct.  One of the red wires comes from the PTO interlock, the other goes to the solenoid.  If my recollection is correct it makes sense that this is the brake pedal switch wires. 

(edit: just looked at schematic again, definitely the brake pedal switch)

I don't like not having the switches so I'll be replacing those.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Heart 1

8ntruck
33 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I thought I had corrected that to RED but it appears that the edit didn't 'take' for some reason.

I think you're correct.  One of the red wires comes from the PTO interlock, the other goes to the solenoid.  If my recollection is correct it makes sense that this is the brake pedal switch wires. 

(edit: just looked at schematic again, definitely the brake pedal switch)

On my C195, that brake switch was built by Littlefuse, and is NLA.  You need a normally open switch to be tripped by a flag on the brake rod about midway down the left hand side of the tunnel.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

Yeah, the switch is MIA.  Just a hole where it ought to be.  I'm not that concerned about that one, but I would like to have the seat switch and I know I have something 'in stock' that I can use.  I just have to find it! (that's the hard part!)

953 nut
10 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

You need a normally open switch to be tripped by a flag on the brake rod

I found one that works well from out local appliance repairman, said they are used on lots of refrigerator and washer doors.

10 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

:text-yeahthat:                                                             :text-thankyouyellow:

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

New brake switch is installed.  Works fine!