Maxwell-8

Sand blasting cabinet 48 gallons

Maxwell-8

Have been thinking about a way to sandblast some parts and pieces of my WH. 

We have just regularly sandblast pistols. but you go trough so much sandblastmedia in no time and that stuff ain't cheap.

So a sandblast cabinet seems to be the answer to my needs. Who has one? What media do you use? and how often do you have to change the blasting media?

I found this 220l/48gallon sandblast cabinet online, seems to most valid option. Do any of you guess have one and if so, Does it work good, and very important to me, Will a 12" :wh: rim fit in one?

@300$ they are expensive, but could be a fast return on investment since local people ask 50-60$ per rim and I will have to do 12 rims soon.

Thanks for the responses, they are much appreciated. 

STRAALCABINE HOBBYBLASTERS SB-117-K01.JPG.6c9dcaa7134406884db6cc1df74299d1.JPG02.JPG.d0a8e36ac5c9fae7493c70e971ec9208.JPG

ri702bill

Maxwell:

I purchased a Harbor Freight unit a few years ago and did some of the MANY modifications that are on youtube. Added wheels on one end, improved the interior lighting, and lowered the shelf - doing that allows you to blast a 12" rim. Tossed the original gun and used a US Blasting unit - HUGE difference. I prefer Black Diamond coal slag from Tractor Supply - but for best results you need dry shop air and low ambient humidity.

Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

squonk
4 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Maxwell:

I purchased a Harbor Freight unit a few years ago and did some of the MANY modifications that are on youtube. Added wheels on one end, improved the interior lighting, and lowered the shelf - doing that allows you to blast a 12" rim. Tossed the original gun and used a US Blasting unit - HUGE difference. I prefer Black Diamond coal slag from Tractor Supply - but for best results you need dry shop air and low ambient humidity.

Bill

And a BIG compressor! :helmet:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
8 minutes ago, squonk said:

And a BIG compressor! :helmet:

Maybe WH operated haha

We do have a big 200 gallon shop compressor:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Maxwell-8

Achto
55 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

We do have a big 200 gallon shop compressor:handgestures-thumbupright:

As long as it pumps enough CFM's that should work.:thumbs2:

The cabinet that you have pictured looks exactly like the Harbor Freight ones that we have here in the States.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pacer

This is the cabinet that @ri702bill mentioned that many of us use here in the states - as you can see its very likely to be a clone of the one you are looking at. They are a bit under $200 at Harbor Frt here. And, TSC (which you probably dont have) carries a brand of blast media called 'Black Diamond' (coal slag) in 50# bags for under $10. It is a pretty decent cabinet out of the box, .... but by getting on you tube and cking out the MANY mods that have been adapted to it ... well, its really worth the time to adapt some of them, and all are uncomplicated and inexpensive. Using one of the mods that allows minimum use of media, I can stretch a 50# bag to last ..... a LONG time!

Now, I would again point out the "Big Compressor" statement --- size doesnt matter all that much, its the amount of CFM (cubic feet per minute) that it produces that is VERY important with blasting - it loves LOTS of air!! I would say that  .... probably about 15cfm is as low you'd want to go, under that and the compressor will just run & run and not produce good results.

I consider my blast cabinet to be in the top 3-4 tools in my shop, I'm constantly putting something in there for a quick clean-up - from a single rusty bolt up to - as you want - a 12" rim. FWIW, my rig is an 80 gal tank producing 18-19cfm which I run at about 80-90 psi at the gun.

68893_W3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill

As mentioned, compressor size gallon wise, CFM rating, and recovery time are important. Scored a 220 volt single phase Craftsman vertical model for the garage. Previous owner bought it to run air sanders prepping his hous for paint. Seems when they had their above ground pool put in (Squonk will love this one...) the electrician killed one leg of the 220 V to the garage circuit - the compressor would no longer start and run. So, he was selling the house and wanted ir gone - no problem!! 

• Like 2

ri702bill

One more mod - using a water filter made from a 5 gallon container and lid to filter the heavy grit out of the shop vac suction line - google it  - easy fix.

Bill

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

pacer

Well, @ri702bill has again pointed out an ... almost - no, WILL have to have point - dust recovery! You will have to rig up some sort of vacuum to pull the dust out of the cabinet, it will quickly get so thick that you cant even see your part. Again, here is where youtube can help you out, there are many variations so just pick one the sounds good to you.

• Like 1

ri702bill

AND - hearing protection IS needed - between the compressor running almost constantly, the air discharge in the cabinet and a 5HP shopvac howling away, it is deafening.

• Thanks 1

pacer
22 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

hearing protection IS needed

Thankfully I got this 'blast cabinet reclaimer kit' from HF back when they gave the 20 & 25% off coupons and not only does it do a really good job, its pretty quiet, and my compressor is outside so the cabinet is less noisy than many other tools in the shop. Its currently listed for $149.

Blast Cabinet Reclaimer Kit 60739 alternate photo #1

• Like 2

Achto

I made this cyclone dust collector for my blast cabinet. cost me about $20 and it works awesome. Always dirt in the collector and a clean filter on my shop vac when I'm finished blasting.

• Like 2

WHX??

Following with interest Max the HF cab is on my wish list if I only had a place in the shop for it. Needs 11-12 CFM @ 90 psi I believe. 

I think it was @Shynon that taped a garbage bag over the side door of his HF to get a whole frame in. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
3 hours ago, ri702bill said:

220 V

Ours is running on 380V , should check the CFM, but I think it's up there, since it is was calculated to have multiple people spray-painting, using air impacts etc.

3 hours ago, pacer said:

They are a bit under $200 at Harbor Frt here. And, TSC (which you probably dont have)

We don't have either of them, Can't find them cheaper then 290€ or 330$.  Curious to see how expensive that blast media would be here.

I have a compressor that can handle it, have a shopvac special bought for sawingdust, so I will be using it. 

Good to hear that everybody is having good results with them. 

It will get put early on my Christmas list :occasion-xmas:

Achto
14 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

have a shopvac special bought for sawingdust,

Careful, I destroyed a sawdust shopvac by using it on my blast cabinet. Blasting dust is a lot finer than sawdust and it will go through the filter on a shopvac. This is why I built my cyclone collector. Been running it with a cheapo Wal Mart shopvac with no issues. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Maxwell-8
1 minute ago, Achto said:

Careful, I destroyed a sawdust shopvac by using it on my blast cabinet. Blasting dust is a lot finer that sawdust and it will go through the filter on a shopvac. This is why I built my cyclone collector. Been running it with a cheapo Wal Mart shopvac with no issues. 

I will make my a cyclone duster! forgot to add that in, thanks for the headsup!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

I think the compressor is 22CFM, plenty to play:eusa-dance:

• Like 1