oliver2-44

Old Steam Cotton Bale Press

Skwerl58

I worked for a large user of cotton and some from Texas. Fiedcrest Cannon Incorporated was where I worked from my junior year of high school, 1976 until 1995. We manufactured the best towels in the world until closing in the early 200?.  We opened those cotton bales in  the carding department. I am certin they were right at 500 pounds each and the process ended in the Finishing Mill on the same property in Fieldale, Virginia. Those were great times and now the buildings are mostly warehouses. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:           I bet when that unit was running everyone in town knew it. That much weight in motion and the quantity of steam needed to run it had to be impressive.

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Tractorhead

Thanks for sharing,

Looks like an impressive construction.

Mickwhitt

Interesting to have wooden supports on a steam machine, almost nautical construction. 

We have some big old stuff here in Sheffield...

steam-hammer-86.jpg.f0322ec42732a3f94eb17e55662881c4.jpgThis is a medium sized steam hammer from one of our steel works. Scale is a bit hard to judge but I reckon I could stand in front of her and the Brightside plate would be at eye level.

Bessemer_Converter_-_Kelham_Island_Industrial_Museum.jpg.31246671e78d6702a1b6c33d96d34b64.jpgThus baby is a Bessemer converter, its a huge old thing and would blow oxygen through molten iron to drive off impurities and produce steel. The whole ladle turns on its bearings to accept a charge of iron direct from the furnace then tilts forward to blow it before tilting further down to pour it. The whole process was watched over by a skilled man who could judge the state of the blow from the colour of the flame so that tons of steel were not ruined. 

Thats impressive big iron. 

• Excellent 4

Stormin

Workington just down the coast from me was a steel town. Used to make the best railway tracks in the world. Exported everywhere. But like most of the steel industry in the UK has gone into decline. Cheap, inferior, Chinese steel is now imported.

• Sad 1