1973Auto

Changing trany fluid should or should not.

1973Auto

Hello all

I posted earlier about replacing an oil seal, so I was thinking that as long as it’s on blocks maybe I should change the trany fluid. It is a 1973 Auto 12 hp with a sun strand trany. I have had the tractor for almost 20 years and never changed it. Have no idea if it has ever been changed. I have been thinking “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. It runs pretty good at full tilt but bucks when I release the break and bucks a little at the slower speeds. So just wondering what the knowledgeable guys on here think👍👍👍

roadapples

It should be changed...

• Like 5

AMC RULES

Umm, 20 years?

:dunno:  Could be due.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Jeff-C175
21 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Umm, 20 years?

:dunno:  Could be due.

:text-+1::text-yeahthat:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JimSraj

I’m pretty new to the forum and don’t have any first hand knowledge here but I’ll pass along some advice I got about changing trans fluid in a hydro. If you decide to do it be sure to check it to determine if it’s Dextron (red)or 30w oil (tan, brown). Original spec was Dextron but if you’re not the first owner PO  may have changed it.  

• Like 2

oliver2-44

The correct filter is a NAPA1410 or  WIX 1410. While it may look like a plain oil filter it does not have a relief bypass in it. 

Your horse thanks you

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

lynnmor
11 hours ago, 1973Auto said:

I have been thinking “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”

Wait till it breaks, then fix the transmission and reuse the old oil.  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Haha 3

1973Auto

Thanks for the replies, I Guess, last question, what is the fluid capacity for the Sundstrand trany, I have lost my manual on this so I thought I ask here before I tear apart my garage, Thanks.

Jeff-C175

Back when I was a young'un and repairing cars in Mom's garage neighbor "Bud" stopped by with his old Pontiac.  Asked me to check out why it was smoking so badly.

Checked it out, compression was 'OK', leak down test 'OK'... not GREAT mind you, but still OK.

Pulled the dipstick... came out with what looked like thinned out roofing tar.  Asked Bud when he last had his oil changed... "Never.  I just add oil when it goes low.  I don't believe in changing oil.  Oil can't 'go bad'."

That car had about 90K miles on it and never had the oil changed!  Rings were gummed up to beat the devil.

Changed the oil and added some sort of cleaner to it, don't remember what... and told him to drive it for a week and bring it back for another change.  Did this several times for a few months and each time the 'earl' got a little cleaner and the car eventually  stopped smoking.

Of course about a year later it threw a timing chain and don'tcha know, he blamed me and the oil changes on that happening!  ha ha ha ha ha... 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

@1973Auto  We have a "Manual Section" on the main page.  You can find and print the manual for your horse and the information you seek should be in there.  :occasion-xmas:

1973Auto
16 hours ago, JimSraj said:

I’m pretty new to the forum and don’t have any first hand knowledge here but I’ll pass along some advice I got about changing trans fluid in a hydro. If you decide to do it be sure to check it to determine if it’s Dextron (red)or 30w oil (tan, brown). Original spec was Dextron but if you’re not the first owner PO  may have changed it.  

It is red/Dextron

pfrederi
35 minutes ago, 1973Auto said:

It is red/Dextron

Get Dex/Merc ATF at any auto parts store 5 qts

• Like 1