RetroMower

1965 JD 110 restoration

RetroMower
2 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Words cant express my gratitude. :greetings-clappingyellow:

Its funny, I looked on various other forums, web pages, Google image searches and even a John deere website cant compare to what this amazing site and its wonderful people can provide to dummies like myself. I had kicked around the idea of becoming a supporter and now I feel even more compelled to do so. Yes this helped immensely with my tranny issues. The previous owner was umm creative with his wiring and this will put those concerns to rest as well. Thank you:text-thankyoublue:

Edited by RetroMower
  • Like 2

Johndeereelfman

After looking over your pictures so far, I believe the year of your tractor is actually 1964.  I see a steel tubular front axle and a three speed (3 forward/1 reverse) shift pattern decal. Both of these items were only used on 1963 and 1964 110's. A 1965 110 would be a four speed (4 forward/1 reverse) transmission and have a cast front axle. Are the rear wheel hubs 3 bolt triangular shaped hubs or 5 bolt round hubs? To be correct, they should be the 3 bolt triangular hubs.

Looking forward to following your restoration and if you have any questions, ask away. I've been collecting these round fender 110's and 112's for 32 years now and can tear apart and reassemble one almost blindfolded. 

• Like 1

RetroMower
18 hours ago, Johndeereelfman said:

After looking over your pictures so far, I believe the year of your tractor is actually 1964.  I see a steel tubular front axle and a three speed (3 forward/1 reverse) shift pattern decal. Both of these items were only used on 1963 and 1964 110's. A 1965 110 would be a four speed (4 forward/1 reverse) transmission and have a cast front axle. Are the rear wheel hubs 3 bolt triangular shaped hubs or 5 bolt round hubs? To be correct, they should be the 3 bolt triangular hubs.

Looking forward to following your restoration and if you have any questions, ask away. I've been collecting these round fender 110's and 112's for 32 years now and can tear apart and reassemble one almost blindfolded. 

yes after dating the serial number you are correct its a 64 but i already assumed you were correct from your pinpoint accuracy and yes the hubs are 3 bolt. right now i currently have a second window open ordering tranny bearings. i would have liked to get the same torrington  bearings that are in the tranny now but im getting KOYO bearings from amazon. first place that has 3 of the sizes. the two largest bearings that carry the differential are clearly marked  B-1812, as is the bearing for the brake shaft B-2816, and the one for the main input HJ-122016, but i cant find numbers on the four smaller ones that are the same size and reside behind the steel caps and hold the two intermediate shafts. even the diagram the mod provided is very vague for these 4 and im not certain which is which. the seals are also proving difficult. I believe 3 of the 4 are the same and also available from amazon #M40676 but the input shaft one is different, it has a national 480954-s54 number on it i cant locate from a retailer.

Edited by RetroMower
  • Like 1

Johndeereelfman

Have you checked with a John Deere dealership to see if these bearings and seals are still available? I have a list of all the part numbers for each and will gladly give them to you if you want them. If Deere doesn't have them available anymore, they may be able to give you a cross reference number for finding them elsewhere. Could save you some time and effort. 

• Like 1

Johndeereelfman

Any new progress on the 110?

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
Just now, Johndeereelfman said:

Any new progress on the 110?

:text-yeahthat:

RetroMower
On 11/14/2021 at 8:42 PM, Horse Newbie said:

:text-yeahthat:

Sorry for not posting in a while. I had 14 vacation days off work and I thought I'd use the majority of that time to sandblast the billion pieces and get some green on them. Well....... I was pretty ill for at least 12 of those days with what I thought was covid, got tested for it and I must have just had bronchitis and a sinus infection so not much got done. All the big pieces, frame, seat, fenders, rims, etc that wouldn't fit in my blasting cabinet were done by a pro and in the past few days of feeling better I pushed myself to get some pieces done. I'll post some pics of what I've accomplished later this week. Thanks to covid spray paint isnt easy to get anymore and I'm low on green:angry-screaming:

At any rate I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving 

• Thanks 2

Snoopy11

I'm a little late... but...

:popcorn:

Don

• Like 2

RetroMower

Well little by little I'm getting the 13 quintillion bits and pieces blasted and wearing a nice shiny new coat of green. What's dangling in the photo is about 1/4 of the total. I have a tote with a bunch a finished waiting on assembly. In the other photo is two modifications I'm making. On the right is the old kingpin for the front axle pivot. If you zoom you can see the end towards the castle nut is worn badly as was the plate on the frame it was riding in. The frame was easy enough to build up a bit of weld and file flat and ream the hole. The pin next to the old one is one I made at work on the lathe. A solid pin should work as well. To the left is a possible replacement for the old main drive pulley on the transmission. As I stated earlier it's so close to the axle tube the belt cant be removed without removing the pulley. I found this one at tractor supply and its 1" smaller in diameter and the new hub I also made at work. Rather than modifying original parts I'm going to give this a go. 

20211129_174009.jpg

20211129_173809.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11

Lookin' good, buddy! :music-rockout:

Don

• Like 2

RetroMower

Finally getting near the end of the mountain of parts to sandblast. Santa also came a little early and brought me some parts. Bearings, seals and tie rod ends. I also used some free time to make the 3 brass bearing drivers and fix the two steering rods. I think a previous owner mashed on right hand thread tie tod ends over left hand threads. I decided to cut off the destroyed left hand threads from the steering rods and weld on new 1/2-20 material. They are drilled and tapped with a 1/4-20 set screw to hold them for welding. I cut good chamfers while they were on the lathe. 

I'm getting there slowly. Soon it will be time to start figuring out how this puzzle goes back together :wacko:

20211208_153159.jpg

Edited by RetroMower
  • Like 2

RetroMower

Wasn't expecting this but Christmas and Hapco came early. Only thing I'm waiting on for reconstruction is the one half of the tranny case. I dropped it off at a machine shop to braze a busted off ear. I was going to do it myself at work but my boss wont let me take it in :doh:

20211224_134342.jpg

• Like 2

RetroMower

Finally have everything cleaned, painted and repaired and some time to start putting this billion piece green puzzle back together. If I had any advice for anyone digging this deep into a 110 is if you think you took enough pics to help reassemble it, take more lol. Actually the only things I still need are tires and the big rubber dash grommet the steering shaft goes through. Hapco has one for $45 but I'm trying to find one cheaper. That's ridiculous 

20211231_124108.jpg

20211231_124036.jpg

• Like 4

Johndeereelfman

Send me your address and I'll send you a good used steering column grommet if you'd like. Things are looking good!! 👍

• Like 2

RetroMower
44 minutes ago, Johndeereelfman said:

Send me your address and I'll send you a good used steering column grommet if you'd like. Things are looking good!! 👍

Thanks. I never knew how easy I had it when I did this to my two horses but I feel like I'm better prepared for most mowers. Take better pictures and be a little more methodical in disassembly. And I'll gladly buy a good grommet off you. Thank you

• Like 2

RetroMower

Another oddly warm 60° and beautiful day here in Pennsylvania for January. Had a little time to bolt on some more tractor parts. Got the steering done, brake and lift assemblies, pto, running boards, rectifier and solenoid on . Next days I have off work is motor and wiring. I cant wait to get the hood, fenders and other tins I meticulously wet sanded on. The steering wheel will be last and it bums me out that it has a few cracks BUT I may break out my leather working stuff and leather wrap it. 

20220102_141313.jpg

Edited by RetroMower
  • Like 3

Johndeereelfman

Looking good!! I'm sure you are already aware of this fact but just in case you aren't, be sure to clean paint away from all of your attachment points so you don't have issues later getting a good ground with the electricals. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RetroMower
42 minutes ago, Johndeereelfman said:

Looking good!! I'm sure you are already aware of this fact but just in case you aren't, be sure to clean paint away from all of your attachment points so you don't have issues later getting a good ground with the electricals. 

Zoom in where I mounted the voltage regulator and starter solenoid. I didn't think about it when I painted it but today when I went to mount the two I had to scrub off the paint with acetone on a scotch brite pad so they'd be grounded. Theres a couple other spots I'll have to do this so the electricity will flow lol. 

• Like 2