1973Auto

Seal on 12 HP

1973Auto

Hello all:

Attached is a pic of a seal that is leaking on the axel of my 1973 12 HP Auto. I am wondering how hard of a job it is to replace this seal? Do i have to open up the housing? I have never done any trany work and I really don't want too. Can this be fixed from the outside.? Please excuse my ignorance in this area.  

WH Seal.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, 1973Auto said:

Please excuse my ignorance in this area.  

No worries. Please keep asking questions. 

9 minutes ago, 1973Auto said:

I am wondering how hard of a job it is to replace this seal

Really not too bad IIFF the hub is free. 

On the plus side the hub is likely less difficult to remove because the seal is leaking. 

Do NOT use a 3 jaw puller to remove the hub. There are threads showing good usable pullers. An old hub is actually a great one.  

It can be replaced from the outside. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Here's a link to a thread with several good hub puller ideas.  

• Like 2

pfrederi

Seal is WH# 6449  SKF# 11124

• Like 2

1973Auto

Thank you! I have actually had to replace this hub before, in 6/2020. The woodruff key actually the hub was replaced a few years prior. If I am looking at the parts manual correctly I need part 4-20, but that is not called out on the list.🤦‍♂️. So what part number am I looking for.

1973Auto
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Seal is WH# 6449  SKF# 11124

Thank you. This was posted while I was typing!!👍👍👍👍

• Like 3

1973Auto

Ok, next question, after the hub is off, how do I remove the old seal and replace with the new one

Achto
5 minutes ago, 1973Auto said:

after the hub is off, how do I remove the old seal and replace with the new one

Use a small screw driver and a hammer to work the old seal out. Be patient and take care not to put a gouge in the axle or housing. I use a piece of PVC pipe slide over the axle to tap the new seal in. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Plastic seal stab it with an icepick and pry it out. You can try that on a metal seal by going into the rubber lip but I usually drill a small hole in the metal part then pry it out.  Sand off any burrs rough spots on the axle.  Then cover the keyway with electrical tape. Grease the seal lip and slid it on.  You can tap it in place pushing the hub in on the axle...

• Like 3

1973Auto

Super!!!!! Thanks guys!!. I already found the seal on amazon and ebay. $10. 

• Like 2

Achto

I've had luck taking the SKF number to my local Napa. Usually have my part next day.

pfrederi

If your seal is an original one the new one will be thinner.  Don't worry it will still work.  Modern seals are thinner.

Maxwell-8

Be carfull not damaging the bearing when picking the seal out.....  sorry for my "bearing-complex" :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, 1973Auto said:

Hello all:

Attached is a pic of a seal that is leaking on the axel of my 1973 12 HP Auto. I am wondering how hard of a job it is to replace this seal? Do i have to open up the housing? I have never done any trany work and I really don't want too. Can this be fixed from the outside.? Please excuse my ignorance in this area.  

Buddy, you sound like... :sad-pacing:

If you took the hub off, and used a razor blade to pry the old seal out... you can take your computer and... :computer:it...

You can always take a small ballpeen hammer and tap on it while pulling with you hands to get it off as well... 

But... I am pretty... uh... 💪 ...so... yeah... it isn't too hard for me...

Don

Snoopy11
56 minutes ago, Achto said:

PVC pipe slide over the axle to tap the new seal in

:text-yeahthat:

Don

Snoopy11

Did anyone mention to make sure the axle is clean before putting the new seal on?

Shop rags come in handy there...

Don

• Like 1

JoeM

Not sure if someone said this but when you clean up the seal area take a good look to make sure there is no scarring. With the new thinner seals now you can tap them in a little deeper to get on a better area of the shaft.

I did have one problem child seal installation and ended up using two thin seals. The two new ones are the same thickness as one old one. I packed grease in between the two seals for lubrication .

• Like 2

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

Not sure if someone said this but when you clean up the seal area take a good look to make sure there is no scarring. With the new thinner seals now you can tap them in a little deeper to get on a better area of the shaft.

I did have one problem child seal installation and ended up using two thin seals. The two new ones are the same thickness as one old one. I packed grease in between the two seals for lubrication .

Good idea... I might try that one!

Don

Maxwell-8

My seals came from TORO and had the same thickness... Maybe they have NOS?