peter lena

how do engage your pto drive , fast or slow?

Snoopy11
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm not sure I see how that's more or less valid when comparing the belt slip at high RPM. 

I'd like a correct technical explanation if anyone has it. 

I think belt deflection is in play here... 

That, coupled with the amount of torque at lower rpms may put more stress on the pto...

Don

• Like 1

Bill D

I usually engage my clutch slowly with the throttle wide open.  On my Bobcat deck this will be an absolute necessity.  The PTO belt and clutch will slip until everything comes up to speed.  I plan to upgrade to a 5/8" PTO to deck belt if I can.

Bill D
44 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

You talkin something like this?

SoftStart_FrontPg_hr.jpg

Don

Do you have a source for those?  Thanks.

• Like 1

pfrederi

For some electric PTOs (Think John Deere) manual says engine at full throttle then engage.  I do not think there is a big engineering /wear issue here.  Unless the engine is warmed up if you engage the PTO at lower throttle she can stumble or even stall.  Full throttle engagement avoids this issue (and complaints to the the dealer...maybe in exchange for advanced wear that won't manifest itself until long after warranty expires...:P

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

she can stumble or even stall

You are right there... I have tried it myself... it does stall.

Don

johnnymag3

Trying to see or grasp belt slip, when the belt doesnt slip..

its the disc wear that appears to be more prevalent....as for belt slip...there should be NONE if you have your deck belt tightened as per manual

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

Trying to see or grasp belt slip, when the belt doesnt slip..

its the disc wear that appears to be more prevalent....as for belt slip...there should be NONE if you have your deck belt tightened as per manual

I have no mowing decks. 

The chipper shredder has a very long belt. 

The front mounted generators are a similar straight belted setup but a much shorter belt. 

Being shorter and also solidly bolted the generator belt can be made tight. 

The chipper literally hangs off the front of the tractor by 2 pins with no way to get the (84"?) Straight belt properly tightened. 

If I engage the chipper shredder belt anywhere near full throttle the belt leaves town fast.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

johnnymag3

So after reading this, I see this is a situational situation.  A case of into it, or onto it....If you will...

My deck belts will not ever slip....but I guess if you have a 108 inch belt ...or thereabouts...it may have to slip, as there is no room for tension to make it secure to its implement.....

:confusion-confused:

pfrederi

If you make the belts super tight you eliminate slippage...but what about wear on the bearings...   There is always a weak point somewhere

johnnymag3
26 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

If you make the belts super tight you eliminate slippage...but what about wear on the bearings...   There is always a weak point somewhere

There is a setting, or dimension between..... for belt tightness...its in the manual...when you squeeze the belt halfway between the PTO and the Mule....there is a number you should be at...No wear on belt, or bearing,,,,,,or excessive wear I should say. It is not about the belt being too tight to not slip, but having it set up right. Im into my Tractors 40 years...never had a belt or bearing issue....I also do regular and over the top maintenance, with superior Lubricants......It does pay off....3 FOLD

• Like 2

adsm08

I let mine out slowly, but being that my primary mower is an 855, so foot operated PTO, and most of my vehicles are stick, it's kind of a force of habit.

John c

I engage mine at WOT as fast as the engine will allow