Greggorykimball

Gt 14 struggles on hills

Greggorykimball

Recently bought a gt14. Has a loader on it and has been repowered by a 18hp Duromax engine. Only issue I’m having with it is it goes great on flat ground but struggles on hills forward or reverse. Haven’t gotten to change fluid yet but it looked good. Also no matter what position the tow valve is in it still drives. Thanks!

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the forum.  Somebody will be along soon who will have a pretty good idea about what might be going on with your tractor.

I'm going to assume that you have already made sure the fluid level in the transmission is between the full and low marks on the dip stick.

Good luck and have fun.

• Like 2

Greggorykimball
Just now, 8ntruck said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the forum.  Somebody will be along soon who will have a pretty good idea about what might be going on with your tractor.

I'm going to assume that you have already made sure the fluid level in the transmission is between the full and low marks on the dip stick.

Good luck and have fun.

Yes fluid is reading good on the dipstick thank you!

• Like 1

8ntruck
18 minutes ago, Greggorykimball said:

Yes fluid is reading good on the dipstick thank you!

I thought that you probably had checked the level.  But earlier this week, I got brain fade on a non start issue with one of my tractors.  The light came on after disconnecting the fuel line at the carb to confirm if the fuel pump was pumping.  It wasn't - 'cause there  was no fuel in the tank.  

Seems we all need an occasional reminder to check the simple items that should be obvious.

Lots of good folks here.  I'm sure somebody here has had, and fixed the same problem you now have, and will be along with more useful advice.

• Like 3

19richie66

With it having a loader I would assume it has been worked. On flat ground, get it warm and put it up against a tree and see if it slips or digs into the dirt. If it digs, it probably is good. I would also check and see if it has the right trans filter (napa 1410) Here is a manual link:

Edited by 19richie66

Greggorykimball
Just now, 19richie66 said:

With it having a loader I would assume it has been worked. On flat ground, get it warm and put it up against a tree and see if it slips or digs into the dirt. If it digs, it probably is good. I would also check and see if it has the right trans filter (napa 1410). The acceleration springs in the hydrostat could be broken. Tow valve could be bypassing. Here is a manual link:

If I push the loader into the ground it just whines and doesn’t spin. With the tow valve it doesn’t seem to matter what way I have it set it will still drive. 

953 nut

:WRS:

As @19richie66 said the oil filter is a good place to start. If an automotive oil filter has been used in place of the hydraulic filter it will bypass some of the pressure. :wh: 79-5270, NAPA 1410, WIX 51410, FRAM PH2844 are the most common filters used.

My GT-14 with a Johnson FEL had the same problem when I brought it home. The Acceleration springs were all broken and a couple of their valves were unable to move. I ended up replacing the hydro motor with a good used one from another :wh:, a Charger or Electro units would be a good choice because they probably have not abused as much as another GT-14.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Greggorykimball
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

As @19richie66 said the oil filter is a good place to start. If an automotive oil filter has been used in place of the hydraulic filter it will bypass some of the pressure. :wh: 79-5270, NAPA 1410, WIX 51410, FRAM PH2844 are the most common filters used.

My GT-14 with a Johnson FEL had the same problem when I brought it home. The Acceleration springs were all broken and a couple of their valves were unable to move. I ended up replacing the hydro motor with a good used one from another :wh:, a Charger or Electro units would be a good choice because they probably have not abused as much as another GT-14.

Good to know thank you! Going to change fluid and filter this morning and see how things go first.

• Excellent 1