RJ Hamner

Hydro on the 876 Found a Leak

RJ Hamner

I noticed that the 876 was leaking trans fluid on the garage floor after i parked it.

Went out the next day and cleaned up the spot and put a can under the hydro.

Checked the next two days and nothing in the can.  So that told me it only leaks when its running

Fired it up this afternoon and let it run and cycled the lift a few times

Shut it off and checked all the hoses, filter and anything else I could see from the top

Crawled underneath and found fluid dripping from the area circled in the photo

If I replace the two parts noted on the photo is there a good chance that would fix the problem or are there bigger issues???:scratchead:

DSC_1166.JPG

• Like 1

squonk

Yup that o-ring.

• Like 1

RJ Hamner

Thanks Mike!!

pfrederi

Two O rings Samll one is Dash # 116 for the larger one I use the square version as they are easier to install.  #26S  PM your address i will mail then to you..

• Excellent 1

daveoman1966

These pics help?  

COVER.jpg

5995 (1)a.jpg

226 041.JPG

226 037.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

RJ Hamner

Yep. Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• BrianKoch
      By BrianKoch
      Gentlemen,

According to the hydrogear transmission manual, the tow valve on the ‘69 Charger 12 with the Sunstrand 90-1136 is “malfunctioning” because I am able to roll the tractor while it is closed. 

To note, the parking brake pawl also seems to be broken, but I believe these issues are independent of one another. 

Have any of you dealt with this issue of a malfunctioning tow valve before and can advise? I’ve got the ATF drained out and would like to address this before refilling. 

As of right now, I have removed the tow valve and attached a picture of it. The O ring and nylon washer look fine to me, but maybe you see or know something different. 

• RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      I had wired the tractor according to the wiring diagram (I thought) and have been waiting on some parts to finish.
      Everything was ready to go except the ground wire connected to the battery.
      As I was looking at my handy work I thought that the ground wire would look better if I moved it to the other side of the fuel line.
      In the process of moving the wire it touched the negative post on the battery......ZAP SPARKS!!!

Got out the diagram (see photo) and retraced the wires from the regulator (see next photo) to the switches in the dash (see last photo)
      Everything looked like it is where it is supposed to be.
      The only thing that I am not 100% sure of is the wire that comes out the bottom of the regulator and to which terminal on the starter/generator (hard to see in the picture, it's on the right terminal)
      I thought I had it on the correct terminal. That wire does not appear on the wiring diagram.
      Could that be the problem? or is there something I missed??
      Will appreciate any and all help
      Bob

• RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      One of the prior owners had added head and tail light to the tractor (876's did not have lights)
      I am getting down the the "short strokes" with the rebuild and trying to figure out the best place to add the circuit.
      My thoughts so far are to tap into the cigar lighter and run the wire over to the wafer switch (the PO did an outstanding job installing the switch to the dash panel)
      As most of the tractors that HAVE lights use a fuse in the circuit and I have been thinking of putting the fuse between the cigar lighter and the wafer switch.
      YES/NO??? Other ideas? 
      When I disassembled the tractor I know that there was no fuse and I am not real sure about wires
       (I wasn't paying that much attention to the wires as I had the diagram and didn't realize then that the 876 didn't have lights)
    • RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      I found this "field modification" (origin unknown). The dark square that has been wired to the rod is lead that weighs about a pound and a half.
      the 876 doesen't have the friction parts of the later models so I am wondering if this was/is an attempt to dampen the movement of the forward/reverse lever?!?
      Any ideas??

Bob

• Purewater Jon
      By Purewater Jon
      Hello!  I have been reading posts for a few years as I’ve tinkered with my two great wheel horses.  I have a 1968 Charger 12 auto with a leak coming from the motion control linkage, as well as the tow valve being seized up, lastly, the parking brake is not locking up the transaxle.  My primary concern is the leakage though.  Do I need to remove the pump and motor to get at this, or can one replace it with them in place and just remove the linkage pieces?  I suspect if I have to remove them, then fixing the parking brake makes sense, and maybe I can find a way to free up that tow valve.  I have it soaking in PB blaster per a comment on that issue from a few years ago.   By the way, my other horse is a C-81.   Attachments include a grader blade, a dozer blade, 2 decks and a cultivator.  Looking for a tiller for the Charger.