Sign in to follow this  
Skwerl58

Changed Trans Fluid

Skwerl58

I changed the trans fluid in my 1987 414-8 today after nearly 10 years of ownership. I bought it from the original owners estate and it was a low hour machine. I have used it for mowing and gardening for most of the 10 years I have owned it. The trans grease was rusty colored and foamy but drained out well. I did elevate the front and used an old grease bottle and hose to suck out the grease that was below the drain leavel, about 8 ounces. Added two quarts of new grease and hopefully good for another 34 years!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

If the shifter boot is in bad condition I would replace it.  If it's always stored undercover it's not as critical, but still a good idea to keep the elements out of the tranny.

peter lena

@Skwerl58 regularly check my transmission dip sticks , agree with @ rig  854 on the boot swap , also check that regularly , keeping those fluids fresh is simple and easy . use a razor blade to easily cut off the old boot , use silicone grease on the shift rod to easily install the new one , pete

Skwerl58

I am blessed that it has been stored inside all of its life. The boot looks to be in excellent condition but I might get one soon since it is 34 years old.  I have a weird sound when I release the clutch and think it is in the belt and pulleys and this my next project after I drop the mower and plow the garden.

peter lena

@Skwerl58 , clutch linkage has a number of culprits , regular failure of that idler pulley . set up and rusty linkage . relatively easy to swap out that pulley , remove side belt Gard first to expose entire function . get a helper to work the clutch pedal to see how things work. the pulley bearing is probably dried out , giving you the weird noise at movement time . aerosol spray related linkage points , watch the rust run out , keep them lubricated . lubricate related springs , leave nothing to chance , should work with total ease , pete 

stevasaurus

Just an observation from what you said above...sucked out about 8 oz below the drain level.  I suspect that you used the fill plug on the left side of the transmission to drain the oil.  There is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission...bottom / back for draining the oil.  :eusa-think:

• Like 3

peter lena

@ steveasaurus , agree with you on this simple basic  service issue , when i read about people that brag about 35 year oil , really ?  look at my stuff regularly , and service anything it needs . just my 2 cents , pete 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Skwerl58

Stevasaurus thanks for  mentioning the bottom plug. I saw the plug and drained from there. I love seeing all these comments and knowledge that all share. Peter thanks for the clutch linkage info, that's my next project. It want be another 35 years before the trans grease is changed. I will keep a close eye on grease and will probably change again soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@Skwerl58  thanks for the feed back , having done that a number of times , your initial trans fluid change , is not really getting out the hardened oil, others have added a kerosene drive around flushing action , to increase the cleaning . if you have a safe place to road drive it , and stop and shift all gears , especially reverse , hi / lo range . that's what heats it up and really improves all actions. with out a load on the trans , its safe to use that cleaning action . typically did my draining's / flushing's a couple of times , before it stayed clean . this is basic maintenance stuff. i still regularly check my lubricant status , simple and easy , glad you are doing it , pete