t_furl43

Eaton 700 swap for 1100

t_furl43

Hi, I’m a newer wheelhorse owner, I have an ‘85 314-A and I was wondering how difficult and if at all possible it was to swap the Eaton 700 that came with my 314-A for the bigger better Eaton 1100. TIA👍🏻

0460FDDD-CCC5-47A6-82CA-80D470AC67DA.jpeg

110D6304-8AED-45DA-83DD-360D1639684F.jpeg

• Like 2

Handy Don

Welcome to the Forum.

This topic has been airing recently. One thread (which started as a 700 diagnostic and moved toward replacement with an 1100) is here but there are others (search for "Eaton 1100 700" in Topics)

Also, at the top of the page, under "Browse" is the Manuals section -- lots of good stuff there. Search with terms like "tractor" "312-A" and the year of your tractor. Likely the OM and IPL (Owner manual and illustrated parts list) are there.

Another useful search is on the "Eaton Hydro" to see the various Eaton manuals so you can see what's relevant to you.

The loaded pallet in the background of you picture is sure to get some comments, so be ready! :lol:

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

I think the  conversion is quite complicated as the control linkage is different.    It would be easier to find a 300H series tractor with a blown engine and install your engine.

• Like 2

JoeM
41 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

It would be easier to find a 300H series tractor with a blown engine and install your engine.

Yes :text-yeahthat:, one especially nice feature to gain is the hydraulic lift. Any hydro machine with a hydraulic lift is a candidate but the 3xxH is a best fit.

My daughter mowed the an acre of grass for years with a 700, ran great. If it runs okay, you should consider changing the hydro oil. It is captive and not part of the rear end. 

I have done one and shown are the pictures of the hydro control linkage difference. Not a big deal but some little parts are needed. If you don't need the hydraulic lift, you can run the filter hose around and reconnect eliminating the lift circuit .

And for one pallet of that beer, I would do it free!

700 linkage

IMG_1494.JPG.7b1777f035efe82bc5171cbdd0efe687.JPG

1100 Linkage

IMG_1496.JPG.82bd5cf316645a6d98b79794b1dc622d.JPG

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:

Though the Eaton 1100 is stronger the 700 will get the job done for mowing and other normal chores. If you do decide to change over to the 1100 and want to use the hydraulic lift your biggest challenge will be changing rock shaft. Part  #46 would be replaced by part #9 and pressed into part #19. However parts #19 and #46 tent to be "Brown Welded" (rusted) together.

1130382380_rockshaft.jpg.834f679e9039123e0793b9922662de82.jpg

• Like 3

Pullstart

Well, they pretty much said it all, so I’ll just add another :text-welcomeconfetti:

roadapples

:text-yeahthat::WRS:

kpinnc

You do have options, depending on how mechanically inclined you are, and how much time you want to spend on it.

You can just change over to the 1100 tranmission (often incorrectly called "pump" by me). The control linkage is just flipped at the motion control lever. 

If you want hydraulics, that will be the most difficult to change as has already been said.

If you are happy with manual lift, you can have a hose made to connect the input and output sides of the charge pump to thier perspective ports on the transaxle so as to preserve the circulation and filtration of the oil. That will require a remote filter adapter as well  You'll also have to remove the cast iron adapter plate that is used with the much smaller 700 transmission. 

You can look for 1100 series transmissions that are/ were not used on a WH, but you'll have to make sure it is a CCW model and has the splined output shaft. You'll also have to source the input gear to mate with the transaxle gears. The one from the 700 transmission will not work.

Point being, you can absolutely swap them- and make less parts work. But as has been said already, it will be much simpler to find another tractor and swap engines. 

Edited by kpinnc

19richie66

If you could find a 417A,418A or a 520 with the long lever from the tunnel for direction control, all your problems would be solved. You could use the transmission, the hydraulics and linkage and it would give you a very nice machine. There are parts machines out there. 

t_furl43

Thanks guys lots to think about, I appreciate the feedback, very informative!