ebinmaine

Who's had frost this year?

troutbum70

Heavy frost here morning before last, 29 degrees. Looked like it had snowed out.

kpinnc

Not a particular fan of July heat anymore, but do you know what I like about cold Winter mornings?

...Not one dang thing!:D

I now understand why bears stay in a hole in the ground unconscious for the whole winter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Jeff-C175
4 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

29 degrees

No frost yet here at "da Joisey Shaw" but it was chilly... dropped to the mid-40s.  The treasurer asked me to turn the heat on, of course I did...

We usually don't get our first frost until mid-November.  Then all the Mulberry trees drop their leaves in one day.

Stormin

Light touch on the car roofs early morning. 6C now and sunshine.

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I now understand why bears stay in a hole in the ground unconscious for the whole winter

Not this one. Though some days it would be nice...😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DennisThornton

Light frost this morning.  Upstate NY 45min south of Canada. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Maybe tomorrow morning for us. 

Latest I can ever remember.  

DennisThornton

Latest I can remember!  And this was not a killing frost.  Very lite and no likely again for the next week. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
On 10/23/2021 at 2:26 PM, DennisThornton said:

Latest I can remember!  And this was not a killing frost.  Very lite and no likely again for the next week. 

Except again this morning!  And a little colder!  Gardening is pretty much over.  Nothing growing anyway...

• Like 1

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Gardening is pretty much over

Trina and her mom hauled ours all in a couple weeks ago. 

We've already got all the dirt from the raised beds moved away. 

Mulling over next year's situation. 

The Lead Gardener What In Charge is considering a permanent plot just outside the current backyard. 

DennisThornton

I have some permanent raised beds and traditional within a 30x100ft or so, 4ft cattle fence with 8ft posts to make it deer proof (resistant?) when I add the mesh .  I'm leaning towards permanent no-till raised beds but for now I lightly rototill the top a bit of the raised beds.  I want a dump truck or two of manure and I might go no till for the entire area later.

I use some plastic mulch but I'm loving grass clippings!

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA

I actually saw another #%€?&@ mosquito today.  I welcome this frost already.

• Haha 1

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

I actually saw another #%€?&@ mosquito today.  I welcome this frost already.

I'm sorry, I tried to kill it but I just didn't get a stroke and it flung off in your direction.  I'll do better the next time...  

EB-80/8inPA
4 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'll do better the next time...  

Appreciate it.  They’ve just about had it though.  I had a clean shot at the little #*%>!£ myself but figured he was better off freezing to death.  He deserves it for “sticking” around this long.

DennisThornton
Just now, EB-80/8inPA said:

Appreciate it.  They’ve just about had it though.  I had a clean shot at the little #*%>!£ myself but figured he was better off freezing to death.  He deserves it for “sticking” around this long.

Point her north!  If I don't get her the weather will!

Actually, I haven't seen one in a very long time.  I filled in some breeding pools a couple years back and they aren't anywhere near as bad!  Still got Deet around but I don't use as much!

EB-80/8inPA
2 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Actually, I haven't seen one in a very long time.

I’ve never seen one this late in the year.  It’s bizarre.  If I liked them it would be great.  I don’t.

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

I’ve never seen one this late in the year.  It’s bizarre.  If I liked them it would be great.  I don’t.

Yeah, pretty much unappreciated.  Some trout fisherman like them because they might help feed the fingerlings but I don't think many give them credit for their existence.  I sure don't!  Not as bad as black flies though!  Been warmer than usual!  Probably taking advantage of the bare arms still exposed in October!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
35 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

black flies

AAAGGGHHH!!!!!

Them're enough to drive me more nuts than usual. Help I do NOT need. 

DennisThornton
52 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

AAAGGGHHH!!!!!

Them're enough to drive me more nuts than usual. Help I do NOT need. 

Understand! Fully... 

Thank goodness their numbers and duration has been less and less.  Don't know why!  Just glad! 

Edited by DennisThornton
Don't
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

black flies

We never had them here in NJ that I'm aware of until about a decade or so ago.  The summer I 'discovered' them, I got bit on the arm and it swelled up like Popeye ate his Spinach.

I talked to the local mosquito division and they said that the brook across the road is cleaner now and the black flies are able to breed in the water, whereas in the past years it was somewhat polluted... which apparently they are quite sensitive to.  The 'headwaters' of that brook are on federal government property and they allegedly were dumping something back there.  It's been a 'superfund' site for several years.

Frost can't kill the 'stingers' that are stored in these bunkers surrounded by highly populated suburbia.

image.png.bc90dc52925b9255678028f26b810667.png

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Mosquitos and black flies need entirely different breeding waters.  Stagnant vs cool, clean, O2 rich moving waters.  Pools vs brooks.  And we have both up here!  Both bugs can be horrible but at least black flies won't come inside.  Even if some get carried in they try to get out and fly to windows to flee.  Won't come in the vehicles either where mosquitos will find every little crack!  But outside they will land and crawl up inside your pants, bite threw socks, slip up your sleeves and anywhere they can!  And the bites can itch and last MUCH longer than mosquitos.  But they come with warmer spring temps and go after a few warmer days.  Much shorter than mosquitos thank goodness!  By the time that it's too hot for long sleeves they are pretty much history for that year where mosquitos persist.  Frosty weather pretty much means an end to mosquitos, whether it's just the timing or the temp or both.  Good riddance!

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

cool, clean, O2 rich moving waters.

Which means the guy at the md wasn't just 'blowing smoke'.  So it's a good thing that the brook can now support them.

I have noticed that they won't follow indoors.  In fact, they seem to not even follow into heavy shade much.

Now... about that scourge of chipmunks... 

Edited by Jeff-C175

DennisThornton

Yeah, seems really odd to me that blackflies won't follow me indoors!

And yep!  Got plenty of chipmunks!  Tons of acorns in the ground to feed them!  Hard to even trap the little buggers!

AMC RULES

Screenshot_20211025-113759_Facebook.jpg.1c9757ddd479bc9ee35baf98a3a822da.jpg

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
39 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Hard to even trap the little buggers!

"Live" traps perhaps... but the large rat snap traps... no problem.  Set them and sprinkle a little black sunflower seed around and...

• Like 1