Bob Lister

Hello from Cape Cod

Bob Lister

Thanks I am still feeling my way around and was surprised how easy it is to post a pic. Other forums I have been involved with required a third party to post  

• Like 1

Bob Lister

There was one Lowell dory there.  I have been rowing for about 15 years for exercise. I got involved with some other old timers like me that enjoy it also. In 2018 we got together and borrowed a 4oar gig to race and surprisingly won our class. Team name geriatric foolishness .  We then bought a gig and won again in 2019  We then started a community rowing program to get others out on the water.  Some of the ladies that row decided they wanted to enter with an all girl crew so we let them go. They hadn't ever rowed six months ago and had no expectations other than a hope to finish.  They averaged 5.2 mph for 5 miles so not to shabby. We averaged 6 mph with experienced men on our race.  We are very proud of these women and they are taking us to lunch at the Hyannis Yacht Club tomorrow to show their appreciation.   This is our boat we donated it to the museum to do the rowing program and be covered by their insurance

phone pics 677.JPG

• Excellent 2

Handy Don

Thanks @Bob Lister. That is a beautiful gig and I'm sure it's a blast to be out there. A good friend has two Lowell sailing Dorys that we've used together for a lot of great sailing.

I'm also a rower, getting into it a few years back.

I row solo in a Kevlar reproduction Adirondack Guideboat using a sliding seat and the standard pinned 8 ft. sweeps.

Its only 15' long so a good sustainable pace for me is about 3.8 or so over a few miles. I usually row in the Haverstraw Bay (a wide part of the Hudson River near my home) but sometimes on the smaller Croton River also nearby. On a tidal and flowing and sometimes very rough Hudson you really have to pay attention to tides and current which can combine to over 4 mph!

Croton River over the stern (the fancy seat is for the non-rowing, paying client--called a "sport")

This is just around a bend from where the river scenes for the earliest Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movies were filmed.

image.png.910815a8376a2badf9d04eb231b1037c.png

A little farther upstream

image.png.f8d12c0b7b69b24577f5b999f20ee7a9.png

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Bob Lister

Guide boats are very nice I rowed one in Sep.  I found the pined oar locks a little strange as i am used to lubing the leathers on my oars to let them move about freely. Then the gig has just a single thole pin so oars are very free. 

This is a pic of what I usually row single. I built it in 2009 and have a sprit sail rig for it also.  I had to use this pic as I was proud to make the cover of the Traditional Small Craft association magazine

phone_pics_682.JPG

• Like 3

Handy Don
9 hours ago, Bob Lister said:

I found the pined oar locks a little strange as i am used to lubing the leathers on my oars to let them move about freely

I can totally relate. I learned to row with unpinned "U" oarlocks and not being able to feather or easily ship the oars seemed awkward at first. History is that they were often used for fishing and hunting and the guides had to be able to quickly grab a rod or gun without any noise or extra movement.
Your "Cindy L" is a treat to look at. I see the sculling pivot at the stern, do you every use it?

Bob Lister

I have gotten pretty good at sculling but need to open the notch a little wider to be able to turn better. It is a handy skill around the docks but we mostly row from beaches or boat ramps.  The name is Cindy Lou my backpack is blocking it. That is a nickname my wife's class mates gave her almost 50 years ago.

• Like 2

c-series don

I learned to row a small dingy by the time I was 10 with the same unpinned U oarlocks Don mentioned. One of the many benefits I’ve enjoyed living on the coast. I’ve never lived more than 5 minutes from salt water. Sometimes my wife and I consider moving but living near the water is always a factor. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Bob Lister

I have lived on Cape Cod since 1st grade. Once you get the salt & sand in your toes you get hooked.  Not so good for cars though

• Like 1