KeithRogers

Clutch problem 5053 3spd

KeithRogers

Glad to be part of the group! 

So I have a 1966 T-656 that I've been repainting and just got back together, and started last night for the first time in 4 years. I got home from work today and went to to go put around the yard but when I went to shift into gear the clutch wasn't engaging and was grinding. It still shifts into all gears but I didn't want to take a chance on messing anything up. Just wondering what could be wrong and how I would go about fixing it. 

• Like 1

WHX??

:WRS: Keith 

Is the belt guard on? Not real familiar with a 656 but a few 856's in my harem. Belt guard needs to be on to properly clutch and stop the drive belt. 

No.... do not grind them gears a pound for me  or you will be splitting the tranny. 

Other things to check as well but let's make sure that guard is on proper first. 

• Like 4

Achto

:WRS:

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Is the belt guard on? Not real familiar with a 656 but a few 856's in my harem. Belt guard needs to be on to properly clutch and stop the drive belt. 

No.... do not grind them gears a pound for me  or you will be splitting the tranny. 

Other things to check as well but let's make sure that guard is on proper first. 

Definitely welcome and...

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

KeithRogers
5 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Thank you all! And no the belt guard was not on, I'm going to put that on tonight and maybe try it again tomorrow, but I made the rookie mistake of not checking the gear oil before hand, when I drained it it was like chocolate milk and sludgy. I might grab a gallon or so of diesel and just move it around in the garage a little and try to get that old crap out and get some new in get the belt guard on and give an update when I'm done. 

• Like 1

Achto
5 hours ago, KeithRogers said:

I might grab a gallon or so of diesel and just move it around in the garage a little

You can put diesel in the tranny and run the tractor around the yard if you wish, it will not harm any thing. I have set the rear end on jack stands, started the engine and let it run in 3rd for 15min to flush the tranny. Drained and repeated 2 or 3 times on some. When you drain the tranny you will want to jack the front of the tractor up as high as you can, this will allow the oil to get over the hump in the bottom of the tranny so it will get to the drain plug.

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:

Glad you found your way to Red Square.  There are a lot of great members here willing to help you through any problem that may come along on your :wh:.

peter lena

@KeithRogers agree with others on the belt guard issue as well as doing  a trans flush, how about rusted / stiff related linkage to that ? done this many times , what i call " road time "  do you have a safe area to drive this on ? other than your lawn ?  local cul d sacs in my area , are used a test tracks, to warm up gear oil , detail tune up , find a problem . like the kerosene addition to my drive to flush out the crud in the trans , new shift boot ?  that chocolate milk is water , this flushing is not a 1 and done , did mine at least 2 times , early on , and a 3rd later in the year . now all my oils are clean and clear , checked regularly . sure , we will be talking again soon , pete 

WHX??

Belt length is critical too. You should be running a 9691 belt which is a 70 inch 1/2" top width. That's if the drive line is has not been messed with. 

KeithRogers
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

Belt length is critical too. You should be running a 9691 belt which is a 70 inch 1/2" top width. That's if the drive line is has not been messed with. 

Thanks for the info. I had bought a new belt and I believe I got a 72in. I'll have to wait till this weekend when I get paid to do anything else to it.

My list for now is a New shift boot (mine is dry rotted), a couple gallons of diesel, some gear oil and a new belt. Feel free to fill in anything i might need or should watch out for. Thanks in advance!

Handy Don
5 minutes ago, KeithRogers said:

a couple gallons of diesel

You can use the diesel one quart at a time for flushing. You may get away with only two flushes.

Challenge for me is disposal--my service station won't accept used oil contaminated with diesel (or vice versa).