DennisThornton

Tuff Torq K61, TWO of them failed!

DennisThornton

Got a really nice 264 in too good a shape to not fix.  Starts and runs great but won't move by itself.  However, the brake drum rotates!  Doesn't make much noise in either direction.

Got a pretty nice 265 with a solid 52" recycler that I'd really like to fix too.  Wouldn't start but after dumping out some black crap and completely going through the fuel system she starts and runs good, but it wouldn't move forward or backward either!  Belt was off!  Whoopi!!  Put that back on and she moved!  Until the fan and pulley popped off!  C-clip was gone and the splines were so wobbled off the pulley it wouldn't even stay centered.  Pulled the pulley off the 264, belt back on and drove it out of the shop.  Had some issues with the deck but got those fixed and I was ready to mow!  Well, she moves but not very fast and not up hill...

It's hard for me to believe that someone used this until the pulley popped off if the trans would barely move itself.

I don't see any leaks.  Fluid level is ok.  Pretty sure the belt is properly routed.  I'd consider buying another tractor to get a good K61 or perhaps rebuilding these.  There's an eBayer that refurbs the worn parts for under $200.  Both of these tractors are worth spending some time and money on.  I'd just hate to be overlooking something simple, but I'm mostly lost when it comes to hydros.  Watched several vids and it seems these can be rebuilt by mere mortals though without special tools. 

wildman

The pulley on these units are known for wearing out, must be a cheaper metal  

• Like 1

JoeM

Den I had a K58 in a JD and the axle seals leaked. They call them none serviceable but they really are serviceable. I cant find the disassembly procedure from the website link I used, they changed it.

I hear tell the oil usually is the issue needing changed. The oil in mine was coal black at 300 hours and the intake screen needed washed. They have a vent, a black rubber cap on top of the rear of the transmission. Fill with oil until it is one inch from the top of the case, measured at the vent hole.

Link to their troubleshooting guide and I did find my oil type chart. 

Post or send me a pic of that pulley with measurements, I have one off of a toro hydro not sure it is the same. 

https://tufftorq.ordertree.com/media/promo/TuffTorq/Troubleshooting.pdf

Fluids and Lubricants Transmission John Deere.pdf

300 hour Tuff Torq Dirty OIL

1821746831_Transmissionx324dirtyoil.jpg.d22072ff971863cbfc6b9414028a9eef.jpg1028747334_Transmissionx324disassembly1.jpg.b473b3c1da5de4664fe4710d27178393.jpg201481443_Transmissionx324disassembly2.jpg.e2321a882fb09bd8b1a6d3c805d5a11e.jpg

DennisThornton

@JoeM

It's nice to hear that one of us has tore into one.  I have the service and troubleshooting manuals and I'd consider tearing into it if I'm not overlooking something. 

JoeM
8 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'd consider tearing into it if I'm not overlooking something

Nope nothing.

Like I used to tell my guys "it ain't no good the way it is now!"

Keep us in the loop.

Take some pics of the magnets

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

12 hours ago, JoeM said:

Nope nothing.

Like I used to tell my guys "it ain't no good the way it is now!"

Keep us in the loop.

Take some pics of the magnets

Magnets? 

Pulley is 5" OD. 

20211017_084932.jpg

rmaynard

Not that I had the same problem, but I have a JD X300 with a Tuff Torq K46. I had the problem of lack of forward pulling power. So I drained the fluid and replaced with synthetic 5W50. No discernable difference in performance. I put up with it for a year or so then decided to replace the pump and motor. That was a challenge, but I did it. I also replaced the screen and the magnet. Reassembled and again, no discernable difference. So searching the internet I discovered that many people suffering from this problem spent lots of money to do what I did only to find that there was an adjustment on the foot pedal that allows for more travel. That adjustment was not in the manual. The additional travel rotated the motion control lever more. PROBLEM SOLVED. It's been fine since. According to a tech who used to work for the local JD dealer, that adjustment is kept "secret". The dealer was supposed to recommend an upgrade to a newer transmission with actual hubs and bolt on rear wheels. For around $1200.00 most people rejected it and just bought a new mower. Hmmm...make money or make money. Sounds like it was a win-win for the dealer.

• Like 3

DennisThornton
6 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

So searching the internet I discovered that many people suffering from this problem spent lots of money to do what I did only to find that there was an adjustment on the foot pedal that allows for more travel. That adjustment was not in the manual. The additional travel rotated the motion control lever more. PROBLEM SOLVED. 

I just checked the travel on the 265 and it seemed OK but I'll check again and on the 264.  Odd failures on two machines suggests to me that I'm missing something simple.  Seems I'm pretty good at that sometimes...

Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

JoeM

I will check tomorrow on the pulley. DT

I believe this is the magnet.

Your not alone on that Maynard, I've paid my fair share of parts and repair tution over the years. Not on the JD but other stuff for sure.

1433129264_Transmissionx324disassembly2magnetarrow.jpg.72ed24368f1da0535194d515fab2b6b8.jpg

DennisThornton

A bit after I posted, "Magnets?" I remembered a couple vids.  They collect metal debris inside from the fluid.  I wasn't going to tear into them just yet since I was hoping for some tip like Maynard mentioned.  Still hoping...

JoeM

Pulley, same size wrong shaft configuration. This one is keyed and has a retaining bolt. 

Hydro Trans Pulley 88-6180 Pic2.jpg

DennisThornton
4 hours ago, JoeM said:

Pulley, same size wrong shaft configuration. This one is keyed and has a retaining bolt. 

Hydro Trans Pulley 88-6180 Pic2.jpg

Maybe a newer improved model!  But alas, no fittee...

Thanks for checking!  Also tips me off if I search for a new or old one.

Probably going to move this 265 out for now.  More pressing repairs WITH PARTS await.

Thanks again!