Bill D

Shear bolts - Who needs them?

Bill D

Picked up this Toro Power Max yesterday.  The rake is shot but the gearbox is good and the shaft isn't bent.   Why Toro doesn't use shear bolts, I'll never know.

KIMG1391.JPG

Jeff-C175
58 minutes ago, Bill D said:

Why Toro doesn't use shear bolts, I'll never know.

I think it's supposed to be a shear bolt but someone replaced it with a grade 8.

Are there any marks on the head of the bolt?  How many?

Bill D
7 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I think it's supposed to be a shear bolt but someone replaced it with a grade 8.

Are there any marks on the head of the bolt?  How many?

It's a grade 5 bolt.  Toro doesn't use shear bolts on their Power Max machines.  You can find that information on their website.  I always replace the bolts with grade 2 fully threaded bolts on all my machines.  Those will shear if something jams the rake

Jeff-C175
1 minute ago, Bill D said:

doesn't use shear bolts

That's just crazy!  What were they thinking?

Bill D
8 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That's just crazy!  What were they thinking?

They sell more expensive replacement parts that way.  The replacement rake is $150 with shipping on eBay.

• Sad 1

Jeff-C175
7 minutes ago, Bill D said:

They sell more expensive replacement parts that way.  The replacement rake is $150 with shipping on eBay.

Couldn't that be repaired with some creative welding?

I would try that first before spending 150.  Nothing to lose but a little time!

Bill D
3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Couldn't that be repaired with some creative welding?

I would try that first before spending 150.  Nothing to lose but a little time!

I plan to sell it.  I think it will be easier to sell if it had a new part rather than a repaired one.  Looks better that way.

• Like 1

Handy Don
7 minutes ago, Bill D said:

I plan to sell it.  I think it will be easier to sell if it had a new part rather than a repaired one.  Looks better that way.

Don't know the market where you are, but a basic used snowblower around here goes for $200 or so. Most I've seen lately is $500 obo for a 36" 12hp Ariens only two years old with lights and heated handles.

• Like 1