Jrain

Paint Colors

Jrain

COLOR_CHART.pdf Howdy  So I am a Newbie to the the WH world , So I have questions on colors , what I have read there are various color reds used on the WH and I can see that owning a 90s WH lawn tractor and my 70s c120 Garden tractor  , they are both faded so looking at paint charts are still a guess , I use a specific brand of paint on all my restore projects that I have been very happy with for years , they are extremely durable , they spray nice and are very reasonably priced . over the years I have used many of there colors and different types of there paint if you ever have restored a Military vehicle then you will know the brand , if you guys would take a look at the paint chart I have uploaded here and give me your opinion on the 7 red colors they offer , Thanks for your help .

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
14 minutes ago, Jrain said:

specific brand of paint

I've never restored a mil vehicle... so do tell, what brand is that please?  Is that the Gillespie brand that you included the chart for?

I think it's almost impossible to tell which one is correct due to differences in the gamma of different monitors.  You really would need need to have a sample, for example, underneath a hood label, or even the underside of the hood or possibly the rear fender.

Most all of us here agree that the Rustoleum REGAL RED is the color of choice.  It's a pretty close match.

Seems to be in short supply at various locations around the US though.

If you buy the NON aerosol Regal Red  you can spray it and include the hardener for a super durable finish.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Jrain
Just now, Jeff-C175 said:

I've never restored a mil vehicle... so do tell, what brand is that please?

Most all of us here agree that the Rustoleum REGAL RED is the color of choice.  It's a pretty close match.

Seems to be in short supply at various locations around the US though.

If you buy the NON aerosol Regal Red  you can spray it and include the hardener for a super durable finish.

I am not selling the paint company , I am just looking for color choice  ,I attached the color chart in my post so all the information is there as far as the brand and info, if you do have a interest in the brand then you can go to there website and look at what they offer and there long history in industrial coatings  , I know of the spray can paints offered , I just recently used some on a implement I built just to get it in color and It is just not the quality of a true industrial paint that I like to use , I just prefer a more durable paint . thanks for your info .

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob

Never heard of that paint. Interesting. That being said I’ve settled on IH red. I believe the Ponds did as well. My C161 project in IH Red.

image.jpg

Edited by WheelhorseBob
  • Like 2

kpinnc

If you look closely at this tractor, you'll see some changes in red from one part to the other. The front axle is the most obvious, and I'm OK with that. Best I can tell, there are 6 different reds here. This tractor has been in several different stages of work over nearly 10 years due to life being what it is sometimes. I had to set it aside for a long time and get back when I finally could.

Point being, don't let anyone tell you what Wheel Horse red is. The simple fact is that none of us know, and anyone who says so is speculating or repeating what someone else speculated. The official colors changed multiple times over the years, and Wheel Horse was notorious for using whatever parts they had on hand at the time. No reason to think paint was any different.

Now in my opinion, and that is all it is- for rattle cans, Rust-Oleum Farm and Implement IH Red. It sprays decent, covers well, and has excellent gloss content. And contrary to the masses, regular Rust-Oleum Sunrise Red is decent, even if slightly more orange. When I have no other options, Regal Red is fine too. Side by side on different parts, it's hard to see much difference. These are tractors, not Lamborghinis. :rolleyes:

IMG_20211012_184612312.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2

roadapples

Nice job, like those front wheels and tires...

Rear tires too

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 2

oliver2-44

I’m going to guess the 465 International Red since most of those colors on the chart are tractor colors.  The Ponds reportedly copied International IH Red or the lowest cost paint close to that. 

• Like 2

kpinnc
43 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

The Ponds reportedly copied International IH Red or the lowest cost paint close to that. 

...A process that stayed with the brand through the end of production, I'm willing to bet.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
4 hours ago, Jrain said:

I am not selling the paint company

Sure, I understand that.  The reason that I ask is because I like to know what others use... so yeah, I'm going to look up the Gillepsie stuff and see what they have to offer.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Opinions on red color options are like tractors… everyone has a favorite… I use Regal Red, for what it’s worth… :twocents-twocents:

As long as it’s not green :scared-eek: your good… :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

squonk

This picture is a perfect example of an issue I and I bet many others have. Lot of us have some level of color blindness. Reds especially. Looking at this pic I see only 2 different reds. Others may see more. I like Regal Red. Sunrise red is too orangey to me. Others like it. 

IMG_20211012_184612312.jpg

Look at my avatar pic. This is about 1969 and that 604 is original paint. Notice haw dark it appears.

1785049722_52922851_10157006841201506_4871289101816430592_n(2).jpg.b335d86746a8bddf476be1aa0f3c48e0.jpg

• Like 1

rmaynard
55 minutes ago, squonk said:

This picture is a perfect example of an issue I and I bet many others have. Lot of us have some level of color blindness. Reds especially. Looking at this pic I see only 2 different reds. Others may see more. I like Regal Red. Sunrise red is too orangey to me. Others like it. 

I can see all the differences in the 6 reds on the first panel. And because you are colorblind, and as you guess, many others are as well, that explains Regal Red. I personally don't think that Regal Red is even close. Because there is such a vast difference between old Wheel Horse red, new Wheel Horse red, and every year in-between, there will never be a universally accepted shade of Wheel Horse red. Just go to the Big Show and see all the variations in color. I think that Regal Red has been widely used because Rustoleum it is available almost everywhere, it's reasonably priced, and available in both spray cans and quarts. This is my opinion. I don't claim to be an expert, but I do have a good eye for color.

As has been stated here many times, if it's red and you like it, that's all that matters.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 4

Ifixoldjunk

@squonk I can only see one shade of red there I’m afraid. I’m thinking I’m colorblind now. My poor wheel horses probably look like mutts now from my painting🤣

Edited by Ifixoldjunk
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175

I mentioned monitor screens in my first post.

Gamma color correction is something that most monitors can not control and the differences between different monitors can be huge.

There's a reason that pro photographers use expensive monitors.

This is also the reason that one can not judge a color by looking at a monitor screen.

If you put a half dozen different monitors side by side and fed them the same signal you would see a half dozen different shades of the same color.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-monitors-for-photographers

(not to mention the camera that took the photo!)

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Read the disclaimer in fine print at the bottom of the PDF.  :occasion-xmas:

I'm finding the Wimbledon White interesting.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

re: the Regal Red "shortage"  in some stores and areas -- actually here in the Poughkeepsie NY, Hudson River Valley area  - i checked online and local Home Depot stores have 7-10 cans and i was just in an ACE and they had 11 cans

• Like 1

squonk

My Home Cheapo 20 miles away show 11 cans. My Lowes 6 miles away says unavailable. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Jrain
6 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Read the disclaimer in fine print at the bottom of the PDF.  :occasion-xmas:

I'm finding the Wimbledon White interesting.  :eusa-think:

Yes read the disclaimer and when you call them to order  they always will say the same thing ,but I will say I have used 5 of there paint colors and those charts are very close to what your finish will be , except for there metallic colors. the chart really does not give you that true metallic look but the color is close . and yes that Wimbledon white is pretty spot on for a ford color ,I shot some steel rims for a 68 Wimbledon white mustang and the owner was very pleased with the results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jrain

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions , as I said I use this paint for its durability ,ease of use , and when I say that I mean I can control a lot of things like gloss  , I can not do that with a rattle can no control factor  , and cost is very reasonable , Yes I can go down to my auto body supply shop where I buy my auto paints , take my c120 tins down to them because under the seat there is really good paint under there and let them have at it with there spectrophotometer and get a pretty perfect match  but the paint I use for cars does not have the durability for this type of use and the cost would be insane . So I will order the GCI  IH Red 465  and red primer then shoot some tests and make changes to get as close to those nice spots that still retain good color and gloss on my c120 , thanks again for all the good info .

• Like 1

oliver2-44

@Jrain Id appreciate if you would keep this thread updated with your test and final mixture. That Paints made about 4 hours from me. I haven’t heard of it before but have been looking for a good paint with hardener that’s a step up from Rustoleum.   While I spray most of my stuff with a gun. Do you know if they offer it in rattle canna. Sometimes it’s nice to have a rattle can for small parts. 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
33 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I'd appreciate

4 hours ago, Jrain said:

all the good info

We all would.!  Not only do we like to GIVE information, we like to RECIEVE it too !  Two-way street !

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

If your doing Show Quality work go for it, they never look that good new.  My Wheel Horses are all workers. I like to keep them looking good. I used Regal Red on two of mine.

If I paint my 520 I'll use IH red as TSC now has Rustoleum Tractor Paint that color. I bought the Ford blue and paint some tractor equipment.

• Like 1

kpinnc
On 10/15/2021 at 9:31 AM, Lee1977 said:

If I paint my 520 I'll use IH red as TSC now has Rustoleum Tractor Paint that color.

If you're talking about Farm and Implement by Rust-Oleum, it's pretty good stuff. Very high gloss content as compared to most rattle can paint. 

• Like 2

Jrain
On 10/15/2021 at 9:31 AM, Lee1977 said:

If your doing Show Quality work go for it, they never look that good new.  My Wheel Horses are all workers. I like to keep them looking good. I used Regal Red on two of mine.

If I paint my 520 I'll use IH red as TSC now has Rustoleum Tractor Paint that color. I bought the Ford blue and paint some tractor equipment.

Agree with you that is why I use GCI  coatings , GCI does not make automotive paint they make industrial coatings , if you take a moment and click on the PDF Chart  you will see the coatings they offer  JD Yellow . JD Green, Cat Yellow , Case Yellow , IH Red , ect.  these are enamel  based coatings  that offer me  to dial in the correct hardness and gloss to get closer to a original factory finish that is very robust and long lasting.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Screenshot_20210927-193833_Messenger.jpg.92fed402c81c764d80f73e197e611b32.jpg

Screenshot_20211008-114219_Google.jpg.b661d6d125d6f0e6aa708a1a91967fb2.jpg

Screenshot_20210927-200929_Messenger.jpg.5ac1004a8150c6b0c623358a55fe7d83.jpg

Screenshot_20210927-200957_Messenger.jpg.472f1b69bc4fe26ce26ee765ee87cb69.jpg

Screenshot_20210927-201033_Messenger.jpg.4e35155755ea427ac3d090424fdacc55.jpg

Doubting you'll be disappointed.

Edited by AMC RULES